Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    I finished this one and is the best fantasy novel of 2008 till now for me.

The power of the first two Caine novels in a tight, well honed, no words wasted package.

Not for the squeamish since it's even more graphic than the first 2, it follows Caine's adventures in 2 threads, one in the past detailing his first famous adventure that made his name, second in the present picking up some pieces of that original 25 years ago adventure.
    Oh, I can't wait to get my hands on it! Am pre-ordering it next week

Caine Black Knife Available Now

Caine Black Knife is AMAZING! It won't be in stores until 10/14/08 but I got a copy (that I'm saving). You find out the truth of what really happened when Caine fought the Black Knives! I already have a copy but I saw it available here:
    Last edited by Rob B; August 5th, 2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: SFFWOrld is not a reseller for ebay

Sorry Rob B. I'm new and didn't know the rules about SFF not being a reseller of items. It's just that I really enjoyed Caine Black Knife and I thought for those who don't want to wait for a pre-order could just buy the book now for $4.99 on ebay. I also think advanced copies are collectible. I know I'm saving my copy. I guess I shouldn't have posted the live link. I still think the Barra & Co. books are his best but Act of Atonement is the best in the Caine series so far.
    Last edited by CaineRox; August 6th, 2008 at 02:47 AM.

We'll not just that we aren't a reseller per say, but specifically for ARCs and such. We are very strict with our off-site linking policy, which you can find here and Point number 3 here.

For starters, ARCs technically are not supposed to be resold, although they often are. It says as much on the book, and furthermore, it can potentially cut into the sales of the final book and subsequently, the earnings of the author.

I finished the book about a week and half ago. It officially kicks ass and is (so far) the best book I've read this year. Everything you'd want from a Caine novel, and then some. I'll go into more detail in my review, but my only complaint was that it ended and I have to wait for His Father's Fist.

Blog Entries
    Sounds great, Rob. I'm eagerly anticipating its release.

Is His Father's Fist the next Caine installment? If so, is there a ballpark figure for a release?

No.

My health--and bill-paying projects--continue to interfere.

Blog Entries
    Jeez, I hope your health issue isn't serious. Feel better and inch towards daylight!

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Suciul

Not for the squeamish since it's even more graphic than the first 2
    Harsher you say? Really? Because Blade of Tyshalle was about the harshest Fantasy novel I've read and I think I've read my share.

Releasedate in Sweden is 14 oct and im waiting eagerly but fearing it as well.Since you all are saying that its even harsher than the two first books and i had nightmares every day as I was reading them. And I am 26

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Suciul

Harsher you say? Really? Because Blade of Tyshalle was about the harshest Fantasy novel I've read and I think I've read my share.
    Well, it's concentrated brutality here and I thought Caine 3 more brutal than 1 and 2 overall. This book is really like a knife edge, gives the impression of no wasted word, while Caine 1 and 2 were larger novels with some info dump here and there - not that I dislike that when done well, but it dilutes the emotional impact to some extent...

Here's my review, about a week before the book's publication:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob's Review
    After seven years, Matthew Stover brings readers back to Overworld and back to Caine. For readers who enjoyed the previous two novels in what is now dubbed the Acts of Caine sequence but wanted to get more of Caine, Caine Black Knife will be a welcome novel. This novel is all Caine and is a bit of a stylistic and tonal departure from the previous Caine novels. Whereas Stover played with narrative voice and point-of-view in Heroes Die and to a greater extent in Blade of Tyshalle, here the great majority of the novel is told in Caine’s voice in the first person narrative. A very minor portion takes place in the second person narrative, so Stover doesn’t abandon the shifting perspective entirely.
    Back to Caine, though, because Stover really leaves the reader no choice in the matter, which is not a complaint by any means. Because the majority of the novel is told through Caine’s voice and reactions, we as the reader are not given any other option on who to believe or trust. Caine’s POV is the only one and as such, his voice flows and filters the narrative more smoothly than just about any first person narrator this side of Severian of the Guild. The difference here is Severian is explicitly an unreliable narrator, Caine seems more reliable. To paraphrase and sum up the themes of Stover’s work, Caine isn’t trying to sell us anything, he puts his faults and scars on the table for all to view. His voice is frank, direct, and a terrifically engaging one that comes across as, for lack of a more refined term, a very likeable and endearing asshole. Then again, I can say that because I’ve never been on the opposite end of Caine’s frustrations.

Had a question regarding the price of Blade of Tyshalle, but I see there are other threads with the same question. Sorryz
    Last edited by Izeil110; October 27th, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: wrong.