Thread: Interstellar

Interstellar

Is this really the first thread for this movie on SFFWorld? I thought Interstellar was fantastic. It captured a genuine feeling of what it would be like were we to be on a dying Earth with no hope of salvation except through space colonization, and even then we see people making the anti-exploration argument of "let's take care of things down here first." The visuals were stunning, especially the travel through the wormhole. Criticism has been made of the science, but for the most part I think Nolan & Co. went to lengths to make those portrayals accurate (they worked with Kip Thorne, the theoretical physicist who also served as a science adviser on the film Contact) and to demonstrate how deep space exploration might affect ourselves emotionally, specifically with respect to relativity and time moving at different rates. Did they take certain liberties to make the movie less boring? Yeah. Did they go into far off territory that has just about zero scientific basis? Sure, it's entirely implausible that if you fall through a black hole you'll end up in some galactic library reflective of your daughter's life, and instead you'd probably just be ripped apart to the most basic molecular level. But I saw that as venturing off into metaphysical territory without regard for scientific accuracy and treated it as such. The relationships might have been a bit hokey at times, but for the most part I think it worked. And they also did a good job of not letting the movie become too boring despite it's highly technical nature. Thumbs up!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Revolvery: I've removed the first post, as it was a Spam post, to leave yours as first.

There have been other posts about the movie: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...one-(spoilers).

But this is the first review thread.

For me, I enjoyed it a lot, seeing it on an IMAX screen. There were points in the plot that troubled me: the whole 'love is the transcendent power' idea, etc etc, not to mention the fact that I couldn't believe that an ex-NASA pilot would so easily go off the grid, only to find a HUGE project just up the road from where he lived - without them bothering to find him. (Surely ex-NASA pilots aren't that easily available, are they?) I was also surprised at how quickly he was accepted into the team, who have (if I remember right) been working on this for years....

The movie tries too hard to be 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is visually stunning, and I suspect will lose something on a smaller screen.

But I did like the way the movie felt it didn't have to explain everything repeatedly as it went along.

I must admit: I wasn't sure the Hobbit family would like the movie. But at the end they did, and basically said, "Hmm. Think I now need to see that again." Which can only be a good thing.

M.
    Mark

Overall, I enjoyed it as well.

I liked that there was no sound in space and they had to use centrifugal force to simulate gravity.

Strong influence/homage of 2001 A Space Odyssey - a little too much for my liking. Too similar. I don't like the metaphysical aspect of love being the universal constant.

Overall a good movie, but not a great one.

Definitely an interesting film, really loved the music. usually fun to browse the imdb message board for their reactions