Thread: Gravity

Blog Entries

Gravity

Just got in from seeing Gravity.

I'm giving this an OMG. Perhaps it's the initial thrill still sitting with me, but I dare I suggest this film to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of cinema?

There are a few little nits to make regarding the chain of events leading to the disaster, but they remain plausibly explained. The WALL-E reference was superbly handled. The "spiritual moment" (trying to avoid spoilers) remains grounded in material SF. The effects were flawless. And above, the story telling -- character, pacing, all of it -- was absolutely stellar.

THIS is what SF film is all about.

I greatly enjoyed this movie, and yes there were some technical issues. Visually it was stunning and there was great dramatic elements. Despite being space though I would call this contemporary drama not SF. All of it could happen with today's technology.

Blog Entries
    It is an intriguing conundrum -- SF or not?

I think you still have to call it SF. It has all the hallmarks of SF, and the general adherence to scientific accuracy
    Spoiler:
    (the most notable exception being that the Hubble, ISS, and all the satellites orbit at significantly different altitudes and planes)
    and the way symbolism/metaphor is employed
    Spoiler:
    (the foetal curl, the "emergence" from the water," the moment she is visited by a dead guy when she is oxygen deprived)
    all harken back to classic SF conventions.

But this is ever the debate. Does simple immediate plausibility make something non-SF?

Gravity was amazing! I have not been that in awe of a movie in a very long time. It scared me, caused anxiety and made me feel excited. The opening almost did me in when they are working outside the shuttle. I feared myself just spinning off into space. And with this movie 3D was integral. LOVED IT!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts are HERE. Like you, I enjoyed it a lot. It's not out here in the UK for a couple of weeks yet, but I was lucky to see a preview in 3D. Best film of the year for me by far, though if you don't like Bullock and Clooney, I don't see this film winning you over.

M.
    Mark

That was a pretty incredible movie. I know that it sounds corny, but I really felt like I was in space for an hour and a half. It's one of the few films I would say you really need to see in a theater as opposed to waiting for it on netflix.

Saw this in 3D a little while ago. Loved it, and I normally hate 3D! It's one of the rare films that I think 3D makes better.

I finally saw Gravity the other night, (I know, I'm late to the party) and all I can say is I wish I'd have seen it sooner. Visually stunning. Great story.
    (Though, I do have to say, after surviving all the calamities that befell poor Sandra, I was waiting for her to have to fight off a crocodile at the end...)