Help in finding a story for a project.

I am writeing a project in physics and english. The theme is "Science and responsebility". In physics I am going to describe how a computer works (binary numbers, bits, memory, ect.), so I need to find a good short story or novel that includes computers and responsebility.
    Does anybody know one?

Also one of my friends told me about a movie (maybe based on a novel) where everybody has a number. The main character is thought dead and loses his number. His apartment is taken away from him, and he can't access his bank accounts, ect. Nobody believes his story and he is completely lost in sociaty.
    My friend told me it would be good for my project, but he didn't remember names, author, instructer or the name of the film or the book.

Has anybody heard of this film/book?

Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by Chopian View Post
    Also one of my friends told me about a movie (maybe based on a novel) where everybody has a number. The main character is thought dead and loses his number. His apartment is taken away from him, and he can't access his bank accounts, ect. Nobody believes his story and he is completely lost in sociaty.
    My friend told me it would be good for my project, but he didn't remember names, author, instructer or the name of the film or the book.

Has anybody heard of this film/book?

Thanks alot
    Hi,

Could possibly be We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. That's the English title of the book. As far as I know there is a film based on it but it has a different name. I'm not sure what it is..