Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up

I originally thought just as most of you about the book as I started it; I have never read Glen Cook before, and thought that it might be interesting. The first ~75 pages were just as has been described- intricate, complicated, and generally boring. But as I continued, I found that I actually liked the book. I think that the two things that this book needs is a map and a better introduction. Otherwise, and awesome read.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
    I originally thought just as most of you about the book as I started it; I have never read Glen Cook before, and thought that it might be interesting. The first ~75 pages were just as has been described- intricate, complicated, and generally boring. But as I continued, I found that I actually liked the book. I think that the two things that this book needs is a map and a better introduction. Otherwise, and awesome read.
    Never read Glen Cook before either and had the same feeling as above; the second book is even better and I am interested to see the third book though the outline where it goes is clear.

I've only read Cooks first three books in Black Company series - but a friend of mine read most everything he wrote (a fan like you); you can read his thoughts on the book here, if you are interested anyway.

This isn't the right place for my question and I'm sorry for the off-topic, but I wanted to ask - does anybody know what the deal is with those Instrumentalities of the Night editions? I mean, today the second book came out on big paperback, but it has been out in mmpb for a while. So, how does that work?

My guess is that Tor is trying to keep some kind of design theme with Cook's books. They repackaged the Black Company books in terrific-looking omnibus editions with Raymond Swanland art that matched up with the Night Shade omnibus editions of his Dread Empire books - also with Raymond Swanland art. Granted, two different publishers, but smart move by Tor to keep a branding theme across Cook's books. Also frustrating since they may not reissue the remaining books in the series in mass market paperback.

Thanks! I was wondering which ones to buy. I guess now I know...

Quote Originally Posted by spwolf View Post

So I finally get to Tyranny of the Night which is 2 years old - and it is pretty horrible. It reads as if written by 10year old. Or someone like me - not really versed in writing. There is almost no character development in first 50 pages of the book - most of the book is "Priest said this:. Character did this:."

Did anyone else read it? Thoughts?
    The writing in the first half of the 2nd book (lord of the silent kingdom) was markedly different from anything I had read in a cook novel that had been published in the last 20 years. The language style did smooth out later on, but I found that interesting.

Yes, it was kind of fascinating. He was clearly experimenting with style, which he does. But although there were some interesting bits to Tyranny of the Night, I overall did not go for it. But who knows, I might go back to it, just to see what he ended up doing with the story.

I'm a big Cook fan and I'm currently struggling with the first book. I'm about 60% in and it is picking up a bit. I will continue to read the series as I think he is one of the best.

According to Amazon, the third book Surrender to the Will of the Night is due out on November 23'rd. In hardcover, which is unusual for a Cook release.

I am also a huge Cook fan. I have read almost all his Fantasy works and loved most of them and disliked none. But the first book in IotN series really gave me a hard time. Like many other people I think it had to do with his writing style which was very different to his other books. He tends to use different writing styles for almost every series or standalone novel. With Tyranny of the Night it took me a long while to get used to it and not sure if I actually liked it. But the second book I had an easier time with and started liking it a lot more. It will be interesting to see what the third will be like. I'm glad the third is coming out in Nov. Now lets hope for a new Garret book soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    ...Now lets hope for a new Garret book soon.
    Gilded Latten Bones will be released on November 2. Unfortunately no Kindle version.

Quote Originally Posted by T77 View Post
    Gilded Latten Bones will be released on November 2. Unfortunately no Kindle version.
    Very good news. Thanks.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    According to Amazon, the third book Surrender to the Will of the Night is due out on November 23'rd. In hardcover, which is unusual for a Cook release.
    The previous books in the series were also released in hardcover, so not that unusual.

I just finished The Tyranny of the Night last night. Glen Cook is one of my favorite authors. I am reading the 5'th Black Company book and the 9'th Garrett book and I love both series. This is the first book of his that I did not like.

He just kept throwing names at you and it was hard to follow. The whole thing felt like a jumbled mess. I question if there was even an editor. It had its moments, I liked the Else character, but I had to force myself to finish it. Since I am such a big Cook fan, I already purchased the second book and will read the entire series, and everything he has ever written or will write for that matter.

That said, the third book on the series, Surrender to the Will of the Night was just released in hardcover. I'll get it eventually.

I had something of the same reaction to it, but that was because my main Cook reading had been the Black Company and Garrett series. Cook likes to change up his style, however, and the style in Tyranny is closer to the sort of thing he was doing in Dread Empire and some of his other works -- it's supposed to be more mythological, less personal. He is essentially deconstructing the idea of a Conan-like warrior. For me, the book did not play to his strengths as a writer, but it was ambitious and what he did with the fantastic elements -- the instrumentalities of the night -- and the use of Islam I thought worked very well. I would say that so far, it's the most non-Cookian book of his I've read, far more than Dread Empire even. And in some ways, it is a stinging commentary on current warfare and the moral dilemmas within it. In other ways, it has a lot of Gemmell-like military action that people might like, especially if they find the Black Company books too "talky."