Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To stockpile or not to stockpile...

I've been lurking here for a year or so and decided to register to ask this question.

I've been debating recently to save some specific books (or even whole series') just incase there is some downtime in the near or distant future in which I have fewer options.

Do any of you do the same? Should I just say "to hell with it" and plow through the rest of my 'to read' stack?

Book Depository Junkie suupaabaka's Avatar
    I'd say quite a few people on this forum give in to the urge to stockpile

Go for it!

noone knows what the future will bring I had "stockpiled" but then got too intrigued with other things and never got to them or got to them way farther down the road than i originally intended. So now, I tend to plan about 5 books in advance and try not to deviate from them till they are complete.

Towards the end of my last book, I then start looking for the next set.

Stockpiling? What? You mean those huge to-read piles on my bookcases could be....bad? There's another option??

~staggers~

But seriously, I stockpile for several reasons: the results of forays into second hand bookstores; sale books at the stores; the paranoia of finding the odd book that could go out of print because its not 'popular' etc. Most importantly, because I love 'em, and can never have enough.

I'd say it's worth it, if you have the room.

The Doctor is in.
    I have been saving books until the series are completed after having gone through frustrating waits for delayed sequels - and then forgetting 1/2 the stuff that came before. I use sites like this to pick books/series that I think I would enjoy.

I waited until the Warrior Prophet trilogy and Elliott's Crown of Stars were complete before reading them. I have all of Erikson's US hardcovers, JV Jones Ice books, etc -- but aren't reading them until complete. (I realize that will be years away.)

Uh, Moderator
    Three words cause me to stockpile:
    Out. Of. Print.

I'm a rabid stockpiler also..I started before I moved to Italy. I'm normally a "library" person, not wanting the clutter of a million books (especially since we're military and are only allowed 9000 pounds of personal goods to be shipped each time we move...including car). But I had a feeling before we moved here that the library wouldn't be very good...and I was right. I've been here since February this year and have exhausted my library's supple of genre books. I have LOTS of ebooks also..really need a reader.

Wink

Ah, seems I fall into this category too

I buy books regularly every month, more than I can read and have been doing this for a couple of years now. I must have a 'stockpile/to read pile' of around 350 books now !! But, still can't stop buying new fantasy books.

I blame you lot I keep reading about such great books on here, then they go on my to order list, which usually lasts around a week then I cave in and buy. If it wasn't for your threads here I would never have discovered the Farseer/Liveship/Tawny Man books, which are my absolute loves.

This month I just ordered the complete Prince of Nothing trilogy (though very worried they may go way over my head LOL).
    I am also in the process of buying the Steven Erikson series of books. After reading about them on here I downloaded the first chapter and loved it, so I ordered the first two books, but am already thinking I should buy the rest now too.......ah help me !!!!!! The Martin series already awaits me on the bookshelves, haven't started those yet either. So many books, so little time.....

I stockpile because I can't help buying books! I've got so many to read, it's hard to know where to start. I try and pick a few out and then choose from that subsection. I'm about to finish Before they are Hanged and am going to read one of the following; The Reality Dysfunction, Scar Night, Thousandfold Thought, Blood Knight, Scar Night, The Bonehunters.

Choices choices!

Wildrunner

A stockpiling tendency

I like most men thend to have a hoarding tendency, but only engage in this duringh te long winter months. During the winter months I will billd a large pile of books to be read over the months in the den and will work it down during the summer. I really hate trafic so I typically do not like to drive during the summer. At the moment I have it one quater the way down, but will add an odd book or two during the summer when I have an urge to take a break from reality. Fantasy tends to fill this need. My hoard does not include fantasy novels, but probably should. I guess this winter I will take a look for some fantasy series to add to the hoard. Fortunately I make a good income, enough to maintain my family and my hoard. So its typically only a matter of what to hoard not how to pay for it.

Hello, everyone.
    My name is Matt, and I'm a stockpiler.
    It's been 2 days since I purchased my last book.
    Where's the coffee?

Hang in there Matt, your doing well.......

I've gone 4 days now, but I can feel myself caving in.......four more books in the Erikson series to get..........I can hear them calling my name......buy me, buy me.......

Book Depository Junkie suupaabaka's Avatar
    I just put in an order for another 5 books at the Book Depository. I really need someone to take my credit card away.

bunch of hardcore, *hrumph* hardocover *hrumph*, junkies!!!

oh...just bought mtpb Lies Of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch :P

LOL seems we may need to start a BBA (book buyers anonymous) club . We could have a de-enabling thread, where we list our next book want, and someone talks us out of it, why it's not a good book etc LOL