Thread: Cover Art

Cover Art

Hi Kevin,
    I read on your website that you designed the covers for your own books. I'm in the process of trying to do the same thing. I wondered if you had encountered any problems with the print version not looking like the graphics version you designed on your monitor? I ran into a problem with a color not looking like I thought it would and had to resort to an old book on color that I had. I'm hoping the CYM color code I used works better this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Viren View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    I read on your website that you designed the covers for your own books. I'm in the process of trying to do the same thing. I wondered if you had encountered any problems with the print version not looking like the graphics version you designed on your monitor? I ran into a problem with a color not looking like I thought it would and had to resort to an old book on color that I had. I'm hoping the CYM color code I used works better this time around.
    Hi, Viren. Sorry for the delay in response; I've been on the road and just got back last night.

Yes, I have had issues with the artwork reproduction on the printed covers. In particular, the images come out much darker than intended. On one cover where I had a space scene visible through a window, there were stars out there as well as a planet, but the stars disappeared and only the planet was left.

The best option is try and work with the publisher and their printer to see if they can do a test printing of the cover, and get all concerned to buy off on the result. Barring that, what I've done is pump up the brightness on the overall image.

If it's the color balance that's off, then yes using the CYMK colors rather than RGB may help there. Also, you should save your files as .TIFF rather than .JPG so that you don't have any file compression, since that can strip off data that you may want included in the final image. Be sure your publisher and/or printer are actually using those .TIFF files too, since if they convert them to PDF files somewhere in the process, that too can cause a change in the image data.

I hope that info helps - let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Thanks for your response. I have been trying to avoid using JPG as well, PNG seems to work for me.

I really liked some of the renders in your gallery. Especially the skin textures, the Arrow of Light one in particular.

Thanks again.

You're quite welcome, and thank you.