Starting my first thread...

So, I decided I to check out your books Mr. Radthorne and browsing Amazon I noticed something odd...

They have The Road to Kotaishi, Parts 1&2, listed for ~$12 each. However, there's also a listing for what looks like a single volume with both parts for $33! What's up with that?

I haven't even seen mention of a single volume on what I read around here. Plus, since when is buying an omnibus (for lack of a better term) more expensive?

And for that matter, $12 for a Mass Market Paperback? Aren't they usually $7-$8?

I know I'm coming off as a cheepskate here, but I have limited disposable income....and eventually I'd like to buy all four books.

Quote Originally Posted by vicki_girl View Post
    So, I decided I to check out your books Mr. Radthorne and browsing Amazon I noticed something odd...

They have The Road to Kotaishi, Parts 1&2, listed for ~$12 each. However, there's also a listing for what looks like a single volume with both parts for $33! What's up with that?

I haven't even seen mention of a single volume on what I read around here. Plus, since when is buying an omnibus (for lack of a better term) more expensive?

And for that matter, $12 for a Mass Market Paperback? Aren't they usually $7-$8?

I know I'm coming off as a cheepskate here, but I have limited disposable income....and eventually I'd like to buy all four books.
    Good questions, all. And thank you for starting a thread! All comers are welcome...

The single volume version of The Road to Kotaishi is actually out of print, even though Amazon doesn't make that clear. That is the version of the book that was available prior to my current publisher, Windstorm Creative, picking up the rights to it. Windstorm, at the time, did not have the bindery equipment necessary to print the book as a single volume; hence, the Part 1 & 2 business. The sequel, the Sands of Sabakushi, was done the same way so as to be consistent with what we did on the first book.

The present books are not mass market paperbacks; they are the larger-sized, trade paperbacks, measuring a little over 8" by 5". Trade papers are usually more expensive than mass market, for several reasons: the paper itself is of a better quality, being thicker and less prone to yellowing; and the binding is usually heavier, so as not to crack or break with repeated bending. In Windstorm's particular case, they are also making use of environmentally-friendly materials in their paper and cover stock, which comes with a higher price tag; but they feel very strongly about not contributing to the planet's troubles and so have elected to go that route. Also, as is common with many small presses, prices tend to be higher because they cannot command the sorts of sales volumes that larger presses can.

I certainly hope you get an opportunity to at least try out Kotaishi and see how you like it. If you make your way through all four volumes that are out there now, you can take comfort in knowing that more is coming. I hope to have the next book, tentatively entitled The Pool of Shikama, done by the end of the year.

And thanks for being a "regular" here in my little ol' forum. I appreciate the company!

Thanks for explanation. I'll probably order Kotaishi Part 1 in the next couple weeks....

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I am surprised at your gullibility, vicki-girl. The pricing of the books, despite the wonderfully coherent fairy tale proffered above, has to do with the cost of those skimpy outfits for his models. The less material, the higher the cost. Just look at those two impettes in that last graphic and you'll begin to appreciate how much money he needs to support his habit.

Thanks, vicki_girl!

And thank you, HE, for your usual well-reasoned analysis. It's good to know we have you on our team. ( )