Book Depository Junkie suupaabaka's Avatar

Angry Elric.... aaaargh!!

I'm tearing my hair out here. I'm trying to get my hands on some Elric books, and looking to buy an omnibus with all the books in the internal chronology from Elric of Melniboné to Stormbringer... but none of the omnibuses do this!

They either have the stories incomplete in the order in which they were written (S.F. Masterworks) or in the internal chronology but still incomplete (Tales of the Eternal Champion)!

Does anyone know where I can get the Elric books in a set of identical editions/omnibuses? I really want to get stuck into Moorcock, but I'm a real stickler for buying books in sets.

El-Prawno
    The Masterworks Eternal Champion series collects all of Elric's stories in 2 books-

The UK Millenium Books:

Elric of Melnibone
    Stormbringer

These 2 omnibus editions contain ALL Elric stories except for the very recent trilogy-->
    * The Dreamthief's Daughter (2001)
    * The Skrayling Tree (2003)
    * The White Wolf's Son (2005)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The search button is your friend....

Try the links in this thread as well as about a dozen other threads, just by typing Elric in the Search function.

The latest news is that they are about to be republished in new so-called definitive editions, with extra material (rather like the Del Rey Conan editions of late.) You might therefore want to hold back for a little while.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    The search button is your friend....

Try the links in this thread as well as about a dozen other threads, just by typing Elric in the Search function.

The latest news is that they are about to be republished in new so-called definitive editions, with extra material (rather like the Del Rey Conan editions of late.) You might therefore want to hold back for a little while.

Hobbit
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been perusing Elric threads on this and another forum and, with the help of Wikipedia, managed to get myself thoroughly confused. I'll hold out for the definitive editions!

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Well, hold on. I did research into this a few years back because I wanted omnibus volumes which contained as much a spossible.

So I ended up with the first collection here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elric-Melnib...260420&sr=11-1

Contains six Elric stories.

Then I went and got the second collection:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormbringer...260478&sr=11-1

Which contains a further six ( including Stealer of souls and Stormbringer). However this one is out of print. However this Fantasy Masterworks edition isn't:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elric-Steale...0260676&sr=1-4

Just to confuse things a little more....I'm pretty sure some of the content was slightly reworked for the old and sadly out of print Orion versions, but I think the Fastasy Masterworks Stormbringer uses the older text. If I'm right (and I may well not be!) then the Orion versions are superior. Though it's anyone's guess which text the definitive editions will use.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure some of the content was slightly reworked for the old and sadly out of print Orion versions, but I think the Fantasy Masterworks Stormbringer uses the older text.
    That's correct, which may explain why both were able to be published at the same time.

Hobbit
    Mark

I did a little further research into Elric and unearthed a horror story.

The Tale Of The Eternal Champion

That's a hefty reading list on its own. However, the concept is too intriguing to ignore and I foresee myself capitulating and sacrificing my bank account to Michael Moorcock.

However, it looks as though Elric alone shall be appearing in the new definitive editions, of which there are to be six. So I suppose I'll have to start there.

(Though Von Bek is looking quite appealing too)

Quote Originally Posted by suupaabaka View Post
    I did a little further research into Elric and unearthed a horror story.

The Tale Of The Eternal Champion

That's a hefty reading list on its own. However, the concept is too intriguing to ignore and I foresee myself capitulating and sacrificing my bank account to Michael Moorcock.
    There comes a time after reading a Moorcock book for the first time where you look up a bit of information on net and go "aaaarrrggghhhh" upon finding out how the tale of the eternal champion fits together. I'm normally pretty anal about trying to read things in order when people have loose series, but I just gave up and read the smaller groups of books in order based on what books I could find.

He's well worth the read, the Von bek and Corum books are good, I also recommend the "The Roads Between the Worlds":
    -The Rituals of Infinity (aka The Wrecks of Time)
    -The Winds of Limbo (aka The Fireclown)
    -The Shores of Death (aka The Twilight Man)

They are all essentially stand alone and only vaguely related to the eternal champion, more SciFi than Elric etc. You'll also note they all have alternate names, just to confuse book purchasing missions a bit more.

On a somewhat related note, it looks like Elric is coming to the big screen courtesy of brothers Paul and Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass, American Pie, About A Boy). You can check out the full report HERE. This could be interesting, though I'd like to see how they pull off The Golden Compass first...

An Elric movie would be interesting indeed. Given today's technology, it could be done correctly.