Results 1 to 15 of 83

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Lady Warrior/Druid LadyGwenne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anyone asks, I'm browsing Final Fantasy Debate. Awesome Website, dedicated to my favourite video game! :P
    Posts
    34

    The Door Within Trilogy by Wayne T. Batson

    I was introduced to this series by a boy at my grandmother's church, whom, I though was rather annoying when I first met him. Well, I've grown to respect him a little more since he set me up, reading this book. I, personally didn't like it at first because it simply went too slow. But after the main character enters a different world, known as 'The Realm', it got interesting. Most people who would hear about this book would think that it sounds childish but it is action-packed with battles and mysteries . You just can't put it down. The next two books are just as good. Only, they have a bit more mystery in them. Things are confusing and people are deceitful.
    I honestly think that most people would enjoy them.
    ~Lady Gwenne

  2. #2
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,912
    Welcome to the forums LadyGwenne! I've moved this thread to the fantasy forum where it will get more attention.

    I reviewed all three books in this series here:
    The Door Within
    The Wyrm Lord
    The Final Storm


    In fact, Mr. Batson is a regular contributor to our forums, so you might just bump into him whilst visiting!

  3. #3
    Tolkien Disciple Wayne Batson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGwenne View Post
    I was introduced to this series by a boy at my grandmother's church, whom, I though was rather annoying when I first met him. Well, I've grown to respect him a little more since he set me up, reading this book. I, personally didn't like it at first because it simply went too slow. But after the main character enters a different world, known as 'The Realm', it got interesting. Most people who would hear about this book would think that it sounds childish but it is action-packed with battles and mysteries . You just can't put it down. The next two books are just as good. Only, they have a bit more mystery in them. Things are confusing and people are deceitful.
    I honestly think that most people would enjoy them.
    ~Lady Gwenne
    Hi, Lady Gwenne
    Very kind of you to write in with such a nice, honest recommendation. I'm stoked that you enjoy The Door Within books. I think you're right--the first book does ease you into the action. I think that was a function of it being my first book. But thanks to reviewers like yourself, Rob, and others, I'm learning!

  4. #4
    Lady Warrior/Druid LadyGwenne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anyone asks, I'm browsing Final Fantasy Debate. Awesome Website, dedicated to my favourite video game! :P
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Hi, Lady Gwenne
    Very kind of you to write in with such a nice, honest recommendation. I'm stoked that you enjoy The Door Within books. I think you're right--the first book does ease you into the action. I think that was a function of it being my first book. But thanks to reviewers like yourself, Rob, and others, I'm learning!
    ........I didn't really expect to run into you, Mr. Batson. I don't know if I'm scared or excited, but I really did enjoy your books, and I really think you should turn them into a movie . I couldn't read enough of the books adn I was always trying to determine what would happen. Especially since you made it seem like Kearn was interested in Antoinette. I really enjoy your writing and I hope you write more!

    ~Lady Gwenne

  5. #5
    Lady Warrior/Druid LadyGwenne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anyone asks, I'm browsing Final Fantasy Debate. Awesome Website, dedicated to my favourite video game! :P
    Posts
    34
    Actually, I've wanted to become a writer since I was about 12. And reading your books has gotten me even bigger into the idea. I like writing about mysteries and action. Most of my stories include a character, (my signature character) that is supposed to be a representation of myself. But most of my writings, I have put aside because others who have read my stories, commenet on it and I feel bad about myself so I give up. Is it hard to write stories? Authors make it seem so easy.

    ~Lady Gwenne

  6. #6
    Tolkien Disciple Wayne Batson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGwenne View Post
    Actually, I've wanted to become a writer since I was about 12. And reading your books has gotten me even bigger into the idea. I like writing about mysteries and action. Most of my stories include a character, (my signature character) that is supposed to be a representation of myself. But most of my writings, I have put aside because others who have read my stories, commenet on it and I feel bad about myself so I give up. Is it hard to write stories? Authors make it seem so easy.

    ~Lady Gwenne
    Gwenne, sorry to hear that some have discouraged you. If you have a passion to tell a story, then don't let anyone stop you. Write your story. You said Authors make it seem so easy, but I think that's because you're looking at the finished product, not the process it had to go through to get it to the shelves. Believe me, The Door Within books needed a lot of work before they were ready to hit the shelves. I still wince at some of my goofs. ;-)

    But seriously, you can do it. Work on your craft--esp. your language. Take a class or two on creative writing--you can often find them taught by published authors. Read tons, esp. in the genre you want to write.

    It's not easy to write a book. But it sure is fun. It's not easy to get published, but it happens to someone every day. Why not you?

    Another author friend of mine put it this way, "There's a word for writers who don't give up: Published."

  7. #7
    Lady Warrior/Druid LadyGwenne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anyone asks, I'm browsing Final Fantasy Debate. Awesome Website, dedicated to my favourite video game! :P
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Gwenne, sorry to hear that some have discouraged you. If you have a passion to tell a story, then don't let anyone stop you. Write your story. You said Authors make it seem so easy, but I think that's because you're looking at the finished product, not the process it had to go through to get it to the shelves. Believe me, The Door Within books needed a lot of work before they were ready to hit the shelves. I still wince at some of my goofs. ;-)

    But seriously, you can do it. Work on your craft--esp. your language. Take a class or two on creative writing--you can often find them taught by published authors. Read tons, esp. in the genre you want to write.

    It's not easy to write a book. But it sure is fun. It's not easy to get published, but it happens to someone every day. Why not you?

    Another author friend of mine put it this way, "There's a word for writers who don't give up: Published."

    Thank you for being kind in your words and for making me feel better. I really want to take some creative writing classes. I just might do that. On most of my school papers, my teacher always comments that I add in some really good detail. My friends look at my paper compared to their's and say that I write too much. So I have the score for detail and writing a lot, (if there's a catergorie for that )
    Thank you, Mr. Batson!

    ~Lady Gwenne
    Last edited by LadyGwenne; June 2nd, 2007 at 10:13 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGwenne View Post
    Actually, I've wanted to become a writer since I was about 12. And reading your books has gotten me even bigger into the idea. I like writing about mysteries and action. Most of my stories include a character, (my signature character) that is supposed to be a representation of myself. But most of my writings, I have put aside because others who have read my stories, comment on it and I feel bad about myself so I give up. Is it hard to write stories? Authors make it seem so easy.

    ~Lady Gwenne
    I'm so sorry that other people have discouraged you, Lady Gwenne! And let me say on behalf of all the readers waiting to read your stories, don't ever give up! After all, only you can tell your stories.

  9. #9
    Uh, Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,604
    Hi Wayne - just another "spotting" mention - your first two books were in my local Dymocks ( a large Australian chain) so it appears that your Australian onslaught continues!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    5

    Chapter 7 in The Final Storm

    I just got back from Creation West, and I got to meet Toby Mac. It was great! We were there for 4 days hanging out and listening to great Christian rock.

    Since there was a lot of down time I fianlly got to start The Final Storm. I have to say that chapter 7 in The Final Storm is one of the best chapters I have read in any book. I loved it.

    There were about 25 other teens with us whom all enjoy reading. It wasn't hard to get them interested in this series. Now they all want to read it. I am sure will have lots and lots of fans as the word spreads.

    Mr. Batson if you are planning any trips to the Pacific Northwest please be sure to let us know.
    Last edited by tkdman13; July 31st, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: grammer

  11. #11
    Tolkien Disciple Wayne Batson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdman13 View Post
    I just got back from Creation West, and I got to meet Toby Mac. It was great! We were there for 4 days hanging out and listening to great Christian rock.

    Since there was a lot of down time I fianlly got to start The Final Storm. I have to say that chapter 7 in The Final Storm is one of the best chapters I have read in any book. I loved it.

    There were about 25 other teens with us whom all enjoy reading. It wasn't hard to get them interested in this series. Now they all want to read it. I am sure will have lots and lots of fans as the word spreads.

    Mr. Batson if you are planning any trips to the Pacific Northwest please be sure to let us know.
    Thanks for spreading the word. Your post got me curious so I reread chapter 7 of the Final Storm. It's funny, now that the trilogy has been out for a while, I can now read my own book and enjoy it as if someone else wrote it. That was a fun--creepy--chapter. Mr. Pierson is a piece of work, eh?

    Btw, we are hoping to do the Fantasy Fiction Tour next summer, but I'm not sure where we'll go. I know we'd love to do the West Coast at some point. God's in charge. We'll wait and see where he takes us.

    -WtB

  12. #12
    Total Dork fantastyfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philly,Pa
    Posts
    64
    Chapter seven is definitely a piece of work. Mr. Pierson sure was frightening!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •