Page 414 of 420 FirstFirst ... 314364404412413414415416 ... LastLast
Results 6,196 to 6,210 of 6289
    Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Maybe Ktesias can set the record straight.

Maybe. Doctors always have lots of paperwork, after all. To Ktesias!

Um, how did we get here?

...What are you reading at the moment?
    Last edited by Sirkana; November 10th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Oh God, don't ask me that question! Since I first said I was reading the Iliad, I've read maybe another two books of it. Not because I'm bored but because I have so much work! (Well, actually, I am rereading a super-long Potter fic from the days of yore as light entertainment (on my phone when I don't have the time or space to get out a book). It's alarming how quickly that's progressing...) You?

I'm sorry ... it's very true, A-levels kill leisure reading like nothing else. And the Iliad in particular has a lot of very lengthy battle scenes, which aren't exactly boring but are so wearing, in a very depressing sort of way. Fanfic is the answer?

I'm reading mostly non-fiction for school (um, yes, QED), but I finally read the whole of Euripides' 'Bacchae' the other day. It's amazing - so disturbing and thought-provoking. Definitely one to look at if you're interested in gender in the ancient world, by the way. And I finally spent a book token that I got for my last birthday, so now I have lovely copies of Atwood's 'Penelopiad', Mieville's 'Embassytown', Heller's 'Catch-22' and Le Guin's 'The Left Hand of Darkness' waiting for some future golden age in which I have time to read.

Fic is definitely the answer. But there are just so many things I need to read for background on school subjects, and things people have lent me, that I feel guilty when I...re-read sappy fic instead.

Oh no, a recommendation! I can never resist those... Whoa, that sounds like a really lovely stash. Motivation to finish hw, maybe?

Ehh, feeling guilty about reading never got anybody anywhere. Embrace the fluffiness! This is an entirely watertight doctrine, of course.

Sorryyyy ... I know what you mean about recommendations. Even my feasible 'to read' list is far too long - I prioritised what I was going to buy off Amazon based on what I thought wouldn't be so easy to get in the library, but there are a lot of other classics I want to read too. The trouble is that even once I've finished my homework, I should be doing wider reading for school.

... and I just proved that I always stick by my professed philosophies, didn't I?

Fluff is the only thing I can get my head around at 7am. (But I'm particular about my fic, too - there are so many things I just will not read, and fluff is only comforting and nice if there aren't a million things annoying me about the style or or or...)

God I know! It's so intensely irritating when someone says "oh by the way you should read a biography of Mussolini in your spare time!" because I don't have any spare time. I don't understand the concept any more. But I would quite like to read a biography. Or maybe the autobiography, because apparently it's great.

Yep. Well, you can't always practise what you preach...

wow Mussolini wrote an autobiography? That must be interesting. I'd like to know more about him - I've only formally learnt about his regime very briefly. Why are there so many interesting things in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I will read Earthsea, even though i know how it ends ... 'Sparrowhawk'? counldn't she come up with a better name? It's just so.... boring. I'm also going to read 'Gifts', ahh yes the cause of all this buisness leading to "The Naming". It's funny i just read an excerpt, it was extremely vauge, but they were also talking about 'the gift', in a way that makes it seem similar to our own Alison's 'gifts' in Gift and Riddle.

omg.... it's 3 am, i am going to die... need sleep, must go bedsv./xvxc?<go ikk

sorry fell asleep on the keyboard there...

Giving gift is a better option.Why don't you try horse tee shirt?

Well, dictated and gave interviews to a ghostwriter - it's not really clear how much, if any, is in his own words, I think. But he was a really good writer; his journalism is really...strong, stylistically and emotionally.

Omg Fascist Italy = favourite part of the course. It's great. Also something people don't know much about. And what's really interesting is that, as awful as certain aspects of the regime were and as much as I disagree with dictatorships, when contrasted to Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia it's really a very different story. People are so surprised when we're studying it and they suddenly realise that it wasn't an apocalyptic Big Brother society. (Not to downplay the fact that there were awful repressive and violent elements to the regime, of course!)

Well, dictated and gave interviews to a ghostwriter - it's not really clear how much, if any, is in his own words, I think. But he was a really good writer; his journalism is really...strong, stylistically and emotionally.

Omg Fascist Italy = favourite part of the course. It's great. Also something people don't know much about. And what's really interesting is that, as awful as certain aspects of the regime were and as much as I disagree with dictatorships, when contrasted to Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia it's really a very different story. People are so surprised when we're studying it and they suddenly realise that it wasn't an apocalyptic Big Brother society. (Not to downplay the fact that there were awful repressive and violent elements to the regime, of course!)

Interesting! We're studying Mao's China at the moment, which is similar in that very few people know much about it. It's completely unfamiliar but so fascinating and relevant. Have you read 'Wild Swans'? It's a brilliant introduction to the social history of the period; I think everyone should read it.

...which reminds me, I should get back to my history essay...

That's exactly what I felt when I studied China last year! It's something no-one knows much about but it's so recent and parts of it are so shocking - and it's really interesting to look at modern China's hangups over the period, the crisis between wanting to get away from the more extreme elements of Maoism and from his reproachful Communist spectre, and wanting to retain the affection his image still inspires.

No! It was THE book of the course, everyone read it and praised it to high heaven, but I just never did!

The complexities of the period are so amazing and depressing at the same time; it's really completely different from other 20th century dictatorships I've studied. We have this great teacher who often goes off on tangents about modern Chinese politics, too, which makes it even more thought-provoking.

You really should read it; it is quite long, but actually very readable. I know that this brings us back to the issue of time, though!

I'm still reading "Mao's Great Famine" by Dikotter (10 months after being given it...) on the Great Leap Forward, which is great but very economics-based, so I can only take it in small doses. Oh god, it starts to get boring when I talk about my lack of time as much as I do. It happens in German conversation every week - "What did you do at the weekend?" "Homework." "What else?" "I have no time." My German conversation teacher has stopped bothering to ask.

By the way, have you seen the new production of Medea that's touring atm? I know it got pretty bad reviews, which will be half the fun when I see it.