Page 2 of 420 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merenwen
    Yeah i thought the whole sparrowhawk thing was a bit cheesey and the whole look into my eyes. i hope the books better. They usually r.
    lol, that look into my eyes thing was pretty lame. AND how they kissed at the end and all... what about that girl Ged left behind at the start, He's a bit of a player eh . I can sort of see the similarity to Cadvan, though, i prefer Cadvan... they both have scars near their eyes too, caused by some creature of evil! . Earthsea was fairly good, nicely shot, though the computer graphics *SH*T*...

Talking

LOL yeah i thought they couldn't done a betta job of the evil monster thing and there was definetly a VERY thick coatin of cheese over the whole thing.

Yeah am likin Cadvan better!!! But Ged was pretty kl but quite plainly not as kl as Cadvan and Maerad would beat Tenar any day
    Last edited by Merenwen; April 3rd, 2005 at 01:03 PM.

VERY thick, that guy playing Ged... sucks sooooo bad.... yuergh. I hate it (no offense) when in, fantast TV things or even movies, there are people with american accents... it just ruins it for me, i just can't get into it at all then. Classic example, a movie about a price, father killed, Kingdom overrun, cry's on dragon statue, dragon comes to life, feed metal> dragon grows etc etc... well the prince had an american accent, i just counldn't get into it. I guess i'm just biased . Somewhere someone said, that the premise of the Nameless was good, but the effects and the overall look was really crappy, i agree. It would have been better if they made them into some sort of broiling dark mass,
    1 would have been 'scarier' and
    2, with the level of FX they were using it would have looked a hell of alot better .

OK, I'd really better be off to bed then. Nite all...
    Last edited by Gemini; April 4th, 2005 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Bad bad Grammar, due to extreme lack of sleep!

Trust me, Maerad would kick Tenar's arse , Maerad has freaky powers man, what does Tenar have... keys... that's right, KEYS... and the "lost" pendant thing was lame, it wasn't exactly lost was it? didn't have to go on a quest for it or anything... some fantasy characters have no idea how easy they have it . Another thing, how awful was that Kirsten Kirsch's (whatever her name is) acting... god, that scene when Venerable Mother dies... "NOOOO. PLEASE......noooo", nearly sh@t me to tears...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Trust me, Maerad would kick Tenar's arse , Maerad has freaky powers man, what does Tenar have... keys... that's right, KEYS... and the "lost" pendant thing was lame, it wasn't exactly lost was it? didn't have to go on a quest for it or anything... some fantasy characters have no idea how easy they have it . Another thing, how awful was that Kirsten Kirsch's (whatever her name is) acting... god, that scene when Venerable Mother dies... "NOOOO. PLEASE......noooo", nearly sh@t me to tears...
    LOL too funny, it was pretty bad but then again so was the harry potter film so hopefully the books will be gd

Un, I adore Ursula le Guin! She's one of the few legit fantasy wrietrs out there nowadays.

I also love David Almond, all of his books are just incredible. And I love Alan Garner!

My favourite book at this moment in time is the Little Prince. ^_^

And uh...other numerous writers. I'll be corny and say Tolkien. I also like Garth Niz and Phillip Pullman. And yes, various others who my sleepy mid won't conjour up.

British Comedy Fan

Double Post

Nothing to see here - just a little double post problem with my computer
    Last edited by melliyna; April 16th, 2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Double Post

British Comedy Fan
    I love Ursula Le Guin now but it took me a while to get in to them (I'm 17 now and I when I started the Earthsea books at age 10 I took an irrirational dislike to young Ged).
    Big fantasy reader I am, although I'll read select sci-fi authors like HG Wells/Arthur C Clark and Douglas Adams. Favourite fantasy authors tend to be epic/historical fantasy type writers. Tolkien: I was introduced to the Hobbit as an eight year old who was desperate for something more adult than the stuff on offer in the classrom and have been obssessed ever since

Who else? Jacqueline Carey, Garth Nix, JK Rowling, Isobelle Carmody (even if I have been waiting for all eternity for the fifth Obernewtyn book ), Terry Pratchett, Diana Wynne Jones and her Tough Guide to Fantasyland which has assisted me in avoiding cliches in my own writing, Tamora Pierce, Cecilia Dart-Thornton, Mercedes Lackey (I'm slightly embarrassed about that one ). And Alison of course - whose books I picked up entirely by chance in my high school library. And ended up doing an adaption in a drama performance last year (we had to take a book and craft an additional scene).

EDIT: thinking of more. CS Lewis, Alan Garner and in the non fantasy authors; Jane Austen, John Marsden, Charles Dickens and Ruth Rendall.
    Last edited by melliyna; April 16th, 2005 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melliyna
    And ended up doing an adaption in a drama performance last year (we had to take a book and craft an additional scene).
    Which scene did you do?

British Comedy Fan
    We did the flashback Maerad had in Norloch of the confrontation her mother had with Enkir when her school was burnt to the ground. And from that on to that wonderful dramatic scene between Maerad and Cadvan. Lots of fun because the guy who ended up as Cadvan actually looks quite like what I imagine him to be And I got to play Maerad (good memories of drama - oh yes)

In a castle in the beautiful city of christchurch --- Ruled by Me
    Hmm that would have been intresting to see.It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

good book are...
    The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier
    The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Gerth Nix (but then everybody knew that)
    The black Magician Trilogy by Trudy Canavan..or something like that..
    The Wind on Fire Trilogy
    Across the Nightingale Floor trilogy..not sure what it's called..Lian Hearn

I've also read the "Wind on fire", quite a good read.

oops double post

Hmm I have many favourite authors but some of the best fantasy ones that I know of are Isobelle Carmody who wrote Obernewtyn (I, like Melliyna have been waiting ages for the fifth book) and Tamora Pierce who wrote Song of the Lioness etc.
    Michael Crichton is also becoming one of my favourites but he writes sci-fi stuff.