Page 3 of 420 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    In a castle in the beautiful city of christchurch --- Ruled by Me
    Hmmmm ok netty have u read either of those books cause this the author of thems forum...i guess it doesnt matter u can still chat with with us it depends what alison thinks im sure she wont mind anyway u should read em(the gift and the riddle by alsion croggon) they r great.
    Last edited by Silvia; April 26th, 2005 at 04:17 AM. Reason: omg im making soooo may typos

Yea, I have read The Gift and I am reading my way through The Riddle

ok thats great unfourtunatley i ahvent got the riddle yet *cries* but i loveeed the gift alison is my fav author ohh welcome to the forum

Hehe, thankyou!
    Dont worry, It took me ages to get The Riddle. I waited a year to get it, only to find out that it wasnt in any of the bookstores near me!

hehe thats got to suck. i should get it soon.

The only reson you don't have it is b/c you're too lazy to get it . ANYHOO, i was lazy too , i didn't get it until march this year, i think the end of school pushed it out of my mind last year... maybe i'm just making excuses. I had to order it as well, i went to all the book stores at the Sunshine Plaza and not a single one had Riddle, i had to order it in, took 2 weeks! That's why i came here, to while away the hours whilst i waited for it.

Well, back on topic, i've been reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Stienbeck, i can see why it won the Pulitzer , an excellent book, if a bit deppressing (the Joads have just reached the labour camp and the bleakness is getting to me so i'm finding it hard to read on), my favorite chapters are the descriptive ones, the way he set the book out is brilliant.

In the end it took 51 hours for that movie to download, it finished about 1am this morning.
    BTW welcome to SFF World Netty!

I've had other people tell me (a couple quite outraged) that they're having trouble getting the books. Though they're in places like Reader's Feast and Borders (The Riddle, but not The Gift, which puzzles me). This is partly down to Penguin's salespersons, as well as the bookshops, so I've been making a little bit of a fuss (don't they want to sell their books??) The Riddle was literally just shoved into the shops, and has been a bit lost in terms of Penguin's policies - they even forgot to enter it into the Aurealis Awards. That's for a number of reasons, most of which are no one's fault; the main thing was that I didn't have an editor pushing it inside the company. I've been assured that a little more attention will be paid to the books than heretofore... and the editor gap is now fixed up. Anyway, good on you for pushing the bookshops! Thanks, guys.

oh yeah also...Raiders Tide and North Side of the Tree...both very, very good by Maggie something beginning with T...but it's aabout the English/ Scottish border in Elizabethan times..it's got a female heroine and a beautiful love story..

Chiltern, Vic, Oz Favourite Music: John Butler
    I'm very picky with fantasy, I usually either love it or hate it - I love Alison's books, Tolkien (of course), and some Garth Nix books - not the Seventh Tower series though, it's too corny and it seems a little 'dumbed down'.

I like Harry Potter, but honestly can't see what all the fuss it about - there are a lot worse books out there, but also a lot of better ones. Same goes for the Earthsea books.

I LOVE anything Douglas Adams - but if the new movie is a crap as the trailer makes it out to be, I'm going to be *just a little* annoyed.

The Phillip Gwynne books (Deadly Unna, and Nukkin Ya) are very good, as well.

Also Everworld, and Animorphs to a lesser degree. Can anyone tell me where my screen name comes from?

And the Halo books are very good (well, Eric Nylund's ones at least - I understand there wasn't much you could do with making a book directly from the plot of a shooting game, but still, Book 2 was a little boring)

Emily Rodda is good (Deltora Quest is a little average, and series 2 sucked majorly, but it still compares quite well to most other fantasies). I like the Teen Power books (it's under a new series name now, Raven Hill Mysteries maybe?)
    Last edited by Akdor 1154; May 1st, 2005 at 03:45 AM. Reason: clearing up some confusing commas

You just reminded me, i've also read some of Everworld, up to book five, i gave up after that . Can you tell me what happens. Hmmmm Akdor does seem familiar, but i can't remember what from. I've also read the Remnants series by the same author, (have you read it?) i gave up on that as well. I must say i don't agree with Applegates writing style (ie a sh*t load of books all about 100 pages long.)

Chiltern, Vic, Oz Favourite Music: John Butler
    Everworld Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    The mean angry chick (I forget her name, maybe it's Gemma? The one that's not April) kills the guy that the old crazy woman said could be killed by no man. Then she dies as well. Then all the gods team up and try to rebuild Everworld, and all the kids decide to live only in Everworld.
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, I know - cut me some slack - I read it like 5 years ago.

And BTW, my name cames from Visser 'Hork-Bajir' Chronicles. Akdor was the first Yeerk to propose attacking the Andalites instead of allying with them. Such a nice guy .

Writing that made me wonder whether Applegate was mirroring the U.S.'s default state of affairs with any "inferior" coutries with the Andalites. I was like 11 when I read the book, I didn't worry about this stuff back then.

I read Remnants and liked a bit, but I had some trouble getting the 13th book (ooh, unlucky ) and it series wasn't good enough to convince me to actually go to some effort in tracking it down . Is she still writing them?
    Last edited by Akdor 1154; May 1st, 2005 at 04:17 AM.

I think her name was Sienna (?)(Everworld spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    why would they want to stay in Everworld? some people are too stupid. I remember somebody saying something about a battle lead by Sienna and then her dying, so i guess they were right.

I have no idea about wether or not she is still writing the Remnants series, i think i got up to the 7th book there, then it got too depressing, the whole end of the world thing really got on my nerves, could you tell me what happens there as well ? (Remnants spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    i got up to the bit where the adopted kid is talking with the mothership or something and everyone else is pigging out on Macca's or something. I think they find a chunk of earth and everyone dies (?) but the Jane, i forget ther name brings them back to life or something.

way to many "or something"'s lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    . It's called the Ropemaker (?) or something, i forget who wrote it but it was enjoyable.
    i would deffinetly read the ropemaker by peter dickinson its very gd ive read most of his books and they are all good reads... ummm what else have i read.... j.r.r tolkein but i think most of u will have read those books poalo cualo's(sp?) the alchamist is good too but its not so much as fantasy as the pellinor books. oh and the wind on fire books are also very good.
    well thats all i can think of right now

oh yeah i read the Ropemaker 'tis very good, enthralling..(i've no idea if thats how you spell it )

Fionnoula u seem to be folllowing me from tread to tread! lol