Page 353 of 420 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 6289
    Common sense ain't common Maiablackwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean- I'm sort of the same way, though I stopped at Eldest. I don't want to read Brisingr.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiablackwolf View Post
    I really don't like Arya because she's a Mary-Sue.

For anyone not familiar with the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Perfect pretty warrior princess = Mary Sue. (As opposed to my character who is distrustful and tempermental, even though she is a princess for some of the story and most would regard her as pretty. Just want to make it clear.)

At first I thought Maerad was a bit of a 'Sue, but looking at her from all sides later on I decided she wasn't.
    Yeah, except for Maerad has depth. That's what decided it for me. And she's angsty, imperfect, and doesn't have curves. haha.

Blog Entries
    You know, not one of you answered my question. Instead it turned into a "I don't like the series because.." discussion

Arya is definitely not a sue; she is an elf and that makes up for her beauty and wisdom. I'm quite sure she has a bit of an attitude.Did you see LOTR? Did you think Arwen was a sue? (kinda fits your description a bit)

Anyway, I don't see how Star Wars is even mentioned...it makes no sense. LOTR maybe, but then again, look at all the similarities between the pellinor books and LOTR.

that was on topic....I referred to my quesiton!

Blog Entries
    Yesh. Maerad is not Sue. She's too real to be Sue. In fact, she acts the same way that I predict most of us would in her shoes! Creeped out, rebellious (in terms of her powers and saving the world), and overwhelmed.

As for Arwen, well, sort of. She seemed a little bit too 'damsel in distress' somehow, and Mary-Sues can take care of themselves with their kickass skills. Plus I like her horse. So she can't be too bad. I just don't think she had enough time in the movie to be deemed Sue or not Sue, and I haven't read the books so I'm not sure in that respect. I should read them though! I started The Hobbit but lost interest due to other books, maybe I'll continue reading that.

Arya... just... it's the whole, 'pretty girl takes over series by way of love with main character'. Except it's worse, because they're not actually in love, but everyone knows they will be. It's like waiting for the axe to fall. I think elves can be ugly. They would be graceful as a rule, perhaps, but to have a perfect race would be to have a race of 'Sues. And writers of Mary Sues often give a temper to their Sue, as the only imperfect trait. That and clumsiness seem to be high on the list. And I don't say clumsiness just because of Twlight; all the female characters these days seem to be so.

Question ...Star Wars... LOTR... I'm lost. Musta been while I was 'away'. (away meaning incredibly busy for a short amount of time and otherwise too lazy to check new posts XD) Sorry.

Wow. That's rant material, that post.

Star Wars, I haven't made the comparisons, but it's basically about Eragon and Brom's relationship, I dk. I just know that there's tons of similar points. But the only reason why is that it's the "Hero's Journey" (wikipedia it)

And sorry, Kiaga, I didn't know what had you asked.

I dk if the main character in the book i'm going to write is a sue... She's short, medium build, dark hair, olive-tinted skin, hazel eyes. Sharp, small features. Has a bit of a superiority complex. :P And, yes, a temper. But she has many other flaws than that. She is a perfectionist and can't open herself up very easily to criticism. She's extremely stubborn and close-minded, and it takes her a while to change her mind.

(haha as I'm describing this, it sounds like one of my friends...haha)

Blog Entries
    It also sounds like me. XD

Here are a couple tests: http://katfeete.net/writing/marysue.html
    http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

The second is much harder on the character; Maerad got 89 when I tested her. Didn't do any other Pellinor chars though, only my own after that. Ae isn't a 'sue despite being a temperamantal princess! (character in my book if you haven't seen the various weird discussions concerning similar names.)

It's funny. Most stories can be compared to others if you go down to the bare basics. Any more and it's... it. Rather than something else. If you look at the bare bones of Pellinor, it seems to have a mix of Earthsea and LOTR (in my opinion) and my own story, a mix of LOTR and Narnia. Just as Eragon is LOTR and Star Wars.

Just because Star Wars and LOTR are the defining tales of their genre doesn't, however, necessarily mean that any story that contains traits of them is a ripoff!

Wow. ANOTHER rantish post. Sigh. I should go to bed.

Blog Entries
    :finds off-topic cane for real: This time I am completely justified in finding it! We should either a.) make a thread for talking about Sue's in fiction if that's even allowed. Actually, there is no choice b. This is definitely getting off-topic. So I guess the only choice is to do A or not do A.

To get this back on topic, have any of you read The course of Honor by Lindsey Davis? I found it today at a used bookstore and it looks like a good read.

In Fantasy-land...where spell check does not exist...
    Has anyone read Wheel of Time? I just started it (ok, mabeye not just started it...I'm on book 8) its amazing! Well, I think it is, this is coming from a lover of epic fantasy. They are very good books, if a bit long (700-1000+ pages per book, there's 12 books) but personally I love long books. Very epic-fantasy, and well written and just good. First book is the Eye of the World (they're written by Robert Jordan).

Other good books: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks and Dragons of an Autumn Twilight by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman (under Weis' name)

Blog Entries
    I haven't read any of the books suggested, unfortunately. Due to homework I've been a little behind on my reading, though I've been reading Call of the Wild and White Fang for school, both of which are great stories.

Arwen isnt a Mary Sue because for the mose part she doesnt factor in to the LOTR books. She was added into the movie, lamely, to add some romance. In the books her and aragorns romance is hinted at but not a main plot or anything. By you guy's reconing everyone is a mary sue.

Blog Entries
    Ah... I hate it when that happens. X( Like with Narnia... sorry, I can just identify with that more easily. =)

It's more that everyone has qualities of Mary-Sues, but that's what makes us real. A Mary Sue is just a character that shows too many perfect traits, an unhealthy amount. Sorry if I was unclear.

Hmmm. There really isn't anything I've read lately that isn't nonfiction, darnit!

Blog Entries
    I got The Book Thief back.
    My brother's girlfriend borrowed about two months ago and kept forgetting to bring it round. So I got it back yesterday. I was so happy. I thought I was going to go insane with my withdrawl symptoms.

Bridie's right-- it's when Sues take over the story via the love interest. :P

I'm trying to read a few things right now... Rereading Crown Duel. I have an AWESOME fic idea for it that I'm currently developing... Doubtless you guys will hear more about it sometime soon.

Also am planning on reading the first book of the Earthsea Cycle-- I've heard that those books are really good. I'm also reading LotR.

Right now I'm not really in a reading mood, though :P Which is frustrating.

(and thank god! I took the tests, and my character is definitely not a Sue!)
    Last edited by Icelands; January 18th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yay! My friend (eirin799- seen her around?) took the test with one of her characters and got a whopping -4. I lulz at her perfectionism.

I'm pretty sure the first is A Wizard Of Earthsea- I read it a while ago and really liked it, so I can recommend that.

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Star Wars...There's a lot of things, but mainly:
    -They rescue a Sue-ish princess
    - The boy must avenge the death of some random mentor guy who gets killed by servants of the Empire
    - He has a fight with an evil person, but due to a moment of weakness does not kill him. They turn out to be a family member.
    - The sword colour thing is the same way round.

Obviously there's a ton more, but I can't be bothered to post them. And yes, of course all books share traits, but Eragon shares far too many...and it's not special in another obvious way to make up for it.

I read A Wizard of Earthsea aaaaages ago...At the time it was good, but not so much that I wanted to read the rest of the series urgently...and then I kinda forgot.