Page 405 of 420 FirstFirst ... 305355395403404405406407415 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,075 of 6289
    Banned
    Savendia- I'm re-reading Abarat by Clive Barker. 'Tis wonderful, in a quirky sort of fashion.
    Book one or two?

I really liked the first, loved the second.
    Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War is "quirky" indeed, in a charming sort of way. I think it somehow works because the story's places and characters, as fantastical as some of them are, always seem grounded by young Ms.Quackenbush. It's sort of an Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, with a lot more killing.

Nice to see someone else has read the Abarat books... I wish Clive would get crack'n and finish book three.
    Last edited by Sparrow; February 20th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savendia View Post
    Also, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I never fail to be amazed by his inventiveness and originality, and I am quite taken by his writing style. Although, of his books, Neverwhere is still my favorite I think.
    I agree - I like the Graveyard Book a lot too, but Neverwhere is just phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Savendia View Post
    And I too must confess curiosity about this Moral Engines series...
    They're brilliant! Basically, they're set in a post-apocalyptic world where cities move, and prey on smaller ones for resources and slaves. In this world, two very different young people are thrown together and set out on a nail-biting adventure. What really struck me about these books was the amazing imagination behind them - they're vivid, beautiful, and dangerous all at once. Not fantasy, more like steampunk sci-fi, but definitely worth reading.

Books in order are:

Mortal Engines
    Predator's Gold
    Infernal Devices
    A Darkling Plain

In a secret lab solving crimes undercover
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    WHOS PETER JACKSON?

Only the hero of all fantasy movie lovers. he directed The Lord of The Rings!

Ahh... I think I know who your on about now.... Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Book one or two?

I really liked the first, loved the second.
    Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War is "quirky" indeed, in a charming sort of way. I think it somehow works because the story's places and characters, as fantastical as some of them are, always seem grounded by young Ms.Quackenbush. It's sort of an Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, with a lot more killing.

Nice to see someone else has read the Abarat books... I wish Clive would get crack'n and finish book three.
    Currently I'm on book 1. But I read them both years ago, and now I'm reading them again in preparation for the third, whenever it comes out.

And Sirkana, that sounds very interesting. I'm going to keep these Mortal Engines books in mind for when I've returned enough books that the library will let me take more out...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkana View Post
    They're brilliant! Basically, they're set in a post-apocalyptic world where cities move, and prey on smaller ones for resources and slaves. In this world, two very different young people are thrown together and set out on a nail-biting adventure. What really struck me about these books was the amazing imagination behind them - they're vivid, beautiful, and dangerous all at once. Not fantasy, more like steampunk sci-fi, but definitely worth reading.

Books in order are:

Mortal Engines
    Predator's Gold
    Infernal Devices
    A Darkling Plain
    Totally agree. They are enthralling, page turning reads but don't forget the semi-prequel: Fever Crumb

Oops, of course! How could I forget! Fever Crumb is set a few hundred years before the Mortal Engines series, and is just as brilliant. I'd recommend reading it after the series, though, to fully make sense of it and get the connections.

<3starkcadvannicholas<3 AllegraBeloved's Avatar
    I am re-reading the otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
    I have read: Riley jenson series by Keri Arthur
    mercy thompson series by patricia briggs
    books by jennifer rardin
    I cant remember any more, but i might just re-read pellinor.
    I fink i shall also try and read the inheritance saga again or the books by jean m auel.

Common sense ain't common Maiablackwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm almost done Graceling, and I can't help but wonder why I never read it sooner.

Next up will either be The First King of Shannara or Kushiel's Dart. I've had them for a long time but never got around to reading them... them and about sixteen others.

Oh, Terry Brooks' Shannara books are brilliant! I read them several years ago, and I got most of the way through the series but something inturrupted me. I definetly need to go through them again, even though there's a million of them.

Also, you should read Terry Brooks' Kingdom of Landover books, because they're pretty great.

Graceling I've heard a lot about recently, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. I feel like I should.

Blog Entries
    I just now have finished a book called Prophecy of the Sisters. it was surprisingly very good and now I can't wait for the next book to come out

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    Weeeeeeeee, I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss!!! I loved it!! Although it was a bit confusing at times when things weren't explained fully, it was quite fun to read and had a lot of really good parts. Although I'm not sure if I really like Denna. But Elodin is awesome!!

How many people here have read it? What do you think?

I loved The Name of the Wind! I heard about it here, actually, a year or so ago by now. It is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirkana View Post
    Oops, of course! How could I forget! Fever Crumb is set a few hundred years before the Mortal Engines series, and is just as brilliant. I'd recommend reading it after the series, though, to fully make sense of it and get the connections.
    Fever Crumb was awesome.

Especially when I finally realised that
    Spoiler:
    Kit was eventually going to become Shrike (Or Grike as he is in America, seriously, why the change?).

That totally killed me, especially when I then remembered that heartbreaking bit at the end of Darkling Plain when he's carrying Hester and Tom and briefly gets a flash of carrying his children to bed when he was still alive.

Fever herself is also pretty kick ass. I'm also looking forward to the sequels, supposedly Reeve wants to visit Australia and all the other places he never got around to showing in the first four books.

I've also just finished off the so far published books in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik and I am completely in love.

You all need to read them, especially since Peter Jackson is supposedly making them into a TV series, which will obviously be the most kissassingly awesome of all time.

Not to mention the fact that
    Spoiler:
    Temeraire and Laurence (AND Granby AND Tharkay ) are heading to Australia for book six has got me ridiculously excited. My country, YAY

*word vomit*
    Last edited by Gemini; March 3rd, 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've got no time for any books but the ones I study in lit. So atm I'm reading:
    The Illusionist by Jennifer Johnston.
    The Pardoner's Tale by Geoffery Chaucer. (Keep me in your thoughts pellinorites! It's written in middle english! )

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Fever Crumb was awesome.

Especially when I finally realised that
    Spoiler:
    Kit was eventually going to become Shrike (Or Grike as he is in America, seriously, why the change?).

That totally killed me, especially when I then remembered that heartbreaking bit at the end of Darkling Plain when he's carrying Hester and Tom and briefly gets a flash of carrying his children to bed when he was still alive.
    I know . . . so beaautifully heartbreaking . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm also looking forward to the sequels, supposedly Reeve wants to visit Australia and all the other places he never got around to showing in the first four books.
    Eep! Sequels? Yay! I can't wait!

Have you read Reeve's other series (the books are called Larklight, Starcross and Mothstorm)? They're intended for slightly younger readers but I love them - they're the adventures of a young Victorian boy but with a twist: he lives in space and the British empire extends to Jupiter. They're hilariously written in a parody of the style of the time and wonderfully tongue-in-cheek, as well as being very gripping.