Page 410 of 420 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412 ... LastLast
Results 6,136 to 6,150 of 6289
    Bard of Tending in Ileadh Maerad(",)'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just finished reading "The Perks of being a Wallflower" and looking forward to its movie~! XD

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Pellinor-Fanatic, what manga have you been reading?

I read Revolution too! I thought it was pretty good, the scope was amazing and the characters were strong, but the romance and the time-travelling felt a bit plonked-in and like afterthoughts.

Blog Entries
    I've recently started reading aSoIaF. I had bought A Game of Thrones years ago, but studying got in the way. So, after getting hooked on the tv series, I decided to try again. It's incredible, and I ordered Clash of Kings and Steel and Snow on Amazon today. I'm excited about them coming.

I've been Carnegie shadowing. Rather slowly, but Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace was so worth it. It's more an adult book than a children's one, and it's so shockingly brutal, but really cathartic. It's perfect.

I've heard of that book, it sounds really good - I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'm currently rereading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, a fantastic book. Anyone else know his work?

ETA: Have you read Monster of Men yet as part of the Carnegie shadowing, EoW? What did you think? I found it extraordinary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyes of Wolf View Post
    Pellinor-Fanatic, what manga have you been reading?

I read Revolution too! I thought it was pretty good, the scope was amazing and the characters were strong, but the romance and the time-travelling felt a bit plonked-in and like afterthoughts.

Oh I've started reading Naruto, Soul Eater, Moon Phase, Wallflower, Zombie-Loan, and Ouran High School Host Club. I'm sure I've read more but I can't remember them at the moment haha.

Yeah, the ending kind of ruined it. Not by much but I also felt it was just and afterthought. I really enjoyed it though and I'm glad my school's book club chose it!

Right now I am currently reading The Crucible for a summer Honors English project. I only have a week and a half now to finish it TT_TT. So far I am really enjoying it.

THE CRUCIBLE?! *such love* We studied it last year with an English teacher who mainly teaches drama, and it was so much fun. I really adore it.

Sirkana-
    Well, I read The Graveyard Book last year for Carnegie, but otherwise no Gaiman for me. I know, shameful...I've been meaning to read American Gods for a while, though.

I haven't read MoM yet, no. It's last on my list because it's part of a series and the longest of the Carnegie books, and I don't have much time right now. But I read the second book in the series, which I enjoyed - the world and plot were wonderful and original, but I disliked Todd and Viola, which was a bit of an off-putter.

I can understand finding Todd and Viola hard going, and I found it very difficult to get into the first book because of the style of writing, but overall I think it's a great trilogy. IMO the second book's better than the third, though - it really explores some very morally intense areas.

You should definitely read American Gods. It is awesome. It is also likely to be one of the weirdest and more disturbing things you have ever read - was for me, anyway.

The second book's themes were really interesting, it's true, and approached in a different way to how the majority of YA books do it. I did notice that the first book was written VERY differently to the 2nd, though - why is that? I haven't read The Knife of Never Letting Go, so I'm not sure on what exactly happened in it.

Haha, weird and disturbing in what way? I've had a bit too much disturbing in this week - The Yellow Wallpaper, Brave New World, and The Woman in Black.

Yes, the second book really is written in a very different (and much less obnoxious, imo) style. This is odd - the only reason I can think of might be an increase in the narrator's literacy or even maybe maturity? I don't know.

Haha ... why American Gods is disturbing is difficult to describe. It's explicitly violent and sexual, sometimes at the same time, but that's not really why it's disturbing per se ... I guess it will make you look at things in a very different way that might freak you out a lot, but not in a I-need-to-go-to-sleep-with-all-the-lights-on way. There are some horror-ish scenes but it's not really a horror novel.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not really like anything else at all.

Writer by Profession BettyCross's Avatar

Outside spec fiction,

I read Historcal Fiction, History, and Biographies.

Betty Cross

"Not like anything else at all" is perfect. My English teacher once asked us what literature was, and we debated it for about 20 minutes until he said that, to him, it is something that was truly original when it was first published. Which is a pretty good definition...Anyway, I really should read it, it sounds great!

Yes, do!

That's an interesting idea, though, that literature is something that was truly original when first published. I think it holds true a lot of the time, but I wonder about, for example, Romeo & Juliet - doubtless it was a story existing before Shakespeare: the point is more that Shakespeare did something unprecedented with it.

So maybe it's more that literature takes the familiar and puts an original spin on it, a different way of viewing the world on it ... Is that just the same thing?

I suppose it also counts as original, because it is still new, simply in terms of execution rather than plot. Then again, there is an element of innovation in nearly every work; but I'd say it would have to be significant. Dracula, say, would be original because it defined "the vampire novel" for years to come and had a proper plot, unlike the majority of the vampire myths it was based on, whereas Twilight is not original because it simply pulls together many genres that have been used together before, without adding anything new in its style or structure.

Or at least that's my take on it. My English teacher has made me think differently on so many things; he's amazing!

Yeah, I think I'd agree, on the whole. Also, yay for amazing English teachers!