Page 411 of 420 FirstFirst ... 311361401409410411412413 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,165 of 6289
    Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    What's yours like? Mine made me want to do English A Level after two months, which is impressive considering I've had three awful, uninspiring teachers in a row for the past few years. I've never stopped reading, but he definitely made me enjoy studying books a lot more than I did before.

Reading, at the moment, Prisoner of the Inquisition, Brave New World, Manga Shakespeare Hamlet (), and an ARC of There Is No Dog. I am so excited about the latter...

I've had great English teachers for my whole time at secondary school, so I'm really looking forward to the A-level, but I recently found out something that strongly suggests that one of my 2 teachers next year will be The Awful One. Oh well, I'll just have to see.

Haven't read any of those but I want to try Brave New World - what's it like?

It's...interesting. Huxley's writing is very florid, but very strange - it adds an air of richness or gluttony. The main plot itself is still being introduced at the point where I am, but so far the story has been intriguing and slightly horrific. It pulls you in; I've only read a few pages, but I read them pretty quickly.

Rich prose and yet fast-paced, excellent! I shall read it as soon as I can.
    Last edited by Sirkana; July 14th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.

I'm now reading the Odyssey and I really love it - it's so cool to think the story has survived more than 2500 years, but you can see why: it's the ultimate fantasy epic. Really fascinating in what it tells you about ancient civilisation, too.

(sorry for double post)

The Odyssey!!! My Greek class has so many in-jokes about the Odyssey. Which edition are you reading? Actually, I have the Iliad sitting on my desk at the moment...to be read at some point in the summer...

Recently finished There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff and Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness. There Is No Dog was surreal. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I can see what Rosoff was trying to say with it, but I feel it was perhaps a little too long for what is essentially a screwball comedy about religion. Monsters of Men...ahhh...I can't see why it won the Carnegie, for one thing. It was *good*, but far too long, and Todd and Viola really began to grate on my nerves in this book. The depth of their infatuation with each other is realistic, but not exactly what you want to read about for pages on end.

Can you believe it?? Battlefield Earth, by L Ron Hubbard. Whether you liked the movie or not, the book is soooooo much better. I'm about half way through it. A friend loaned it to me for my "Break" Book that I read between editings of my second book, and of cource when I get 100 pgs written, I get a break book as well.

I was uncertain about reading it, because the movie was ok...but once I realized that the screen writer tore the shredds out of the book I liked it more and more. This is my first L Ron Hubbard book, and he is a little different with his style, but its never boring. His characters are strong and well written, and his "Worlds" are inventive. Have 500 pgs to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes of Wolf View Post
    The Odyssey!!! My Greek class has so many in-jokes about the Odyssey. Which edition are you reading? Actually, I have the Iliad sitting on my desk at the moment...to be read at some point in the summer...
    This random one from the sixties by a guy called Richmond (<- I know...) Lattimore, which apparently was the translation Stanford University recommended to its classics students about 30 years ago. Compared to other translations I've seen, I like it, although it is in American English.

From reading it, I think it's very interesting how some parts of the Odyssey are commonly retold, but others not so much, and how the character of Odysseus and the values of the society are subtly changed in those retellings to make them more palateable to our society and its idea of heroism, for example. Like, at no point in any retelling have I found the small bit about the Kikonians, whose city Odysseus sacks for no discernible reason, and which, to a modern audience, is actually quite shockingly un-heroic sounding. The story morphs and changes as the scoiety does, almost as if we are carrying on the oral tradition it was born from.

...Yeah, I really like it. Need to read the Iliad too at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes of Wolf View Post
    Monsters of Men...ahhh...I can't see why it won the Carnegie, for one thing. It was *good*, but far too long, and Todd and Viola really began to grate on my nerves in this book. The depth of their infatuation with each other is realistic, but not exactly what you want to read about for pages on end.
    Ha, I often feel the Carnegie goes to the wrong book! I liked it, myself, although I see what you mean about Todd and Viola. The only thing that really got on my nerves was

Spoiler:
    the whole coming back from the dead in the finale thing - absurdly overdone in speculative fiction.

I hadn't realised that, and you're right! Everyone knows about how Odysseus outwitted the Cyclops Polyphemus, but I'd never heard of several of the stories in the Odyssey before beginning to study it. I didn't know who the Laestrygonians were, for example. I wonder what purpose the segment with the Kikonians had for a Greek audience? I can't think they'd have found it all that heroic, but it certainly wasn't as immoral-sounding as it seems today.

Nyuaaaaaaaargh. Yes. I was kind of happy that, finally in YA literature, a
    Spoiler:
    main character died,
    because it's so rare, but that last chapter which seemed to set up
    Spoiler:
    him coming back
    just ruined it. I loved 1017's perspective, though - it was incredibly interesting and the way the Land functions is amazing.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the purpose of the bit with the Kikonians was, either. It's so interesting; I wish we could study the whole text, not just little bits. Yay background reading?

1017 is excellent; he really gives you a sense of how the conflict is not black-and-white at all.

i just got back from my holiday, and got a hell of a lot of reading done. almost a book a day :O
    the list:
    -Rebel Angels-Libba Bray (reread, mostly on the train while stuck in a station on the way there)
    -The Sweet Far Thing-Libba Bray (reread. over 800 pages of amazing trilogy conclusion)
    -The Immortals-Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell (reread, newest and last of the edge chronicles, as awesome as ever)
    -The Declaration-Gemma Malley (reread, pretty good, but a little forgettable)
    -The Resistance-Gemma Malley (sequel to the declaration, been sitting on my shelf for a while. better than the first)
    -Thursday's Child-Sonia Hartnett (bought in the borders closing down sale years ago and not read til now. just plain wierd)
    -A Thousand Splendid Suns-Khaled Hosseini (beautifully written and very moving, shame i had a really terrible pirated kindle version)
    -The Da Vinci Code-Dan Brown (surprisingly compelling, my guilty pleasure kind of book)
    -The Graveyard Book-Neil Gaiman (strange but beautiful, wonderfully writen)
    -The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold (again a little wierd, but beautiful and nowhere near as depressing as you would think)
    so glad i have my kindle, otherwise i would have run out of books :/

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    Has anyone read anything by Juliet Marillier? I read Wildwood Dancing ages ago and really liked it and now just finished Heart's Blood and adored it. I loveeeeeeeeeeed the characters. ♥♡♥♡♥ *sigh* So sad for it to be over, I loved living in that world!

Also on holiday reading, though unfortunately also holiday revision. Therefore, I haven't actually read much yet! So far I've reread Numbers 2 by Rachel Ward, which isn't great so I'm not sure why I reread it, then read Great Expectations, which grew on me as I read and is really wonderful. Currently, I'm rereading Noughts and Crosses. Just because.

Blog Entries
    Going back to The Odyssey for a moment. I absolutely love that story! I read it two years ago in Freshman year and I ended up getting a 100% on the test for it

Right now I am currently reading tons of manga and a book called The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. I just started it last night and it's fairly interesting so far.

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    Hello all! So, has anyone read the Hunger Games? I did! (tho skimmed the last third of the last book). The first book was really exciting, but then they seemed to get worse...

Other thoughts?