Page 55 of 420 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranakitty
    yeah eragon and eldest are entertaining..though not exacly what youd call great literature, the second is better than the first though.
    Im in the middle of Mists of Avalon.....divine.....
    I agree with what you say about it not being great literature-the same with the Darren Shan books I found-they weren't brilliantly written-but somehow I just couldn't put them down..

yeah, and you have to admit they did take a lot of influence from LotR adn Dragoniders of Pern , so theres really not much new in the books, but i mean both Lotr and Pern were really, really good, so i mean, if you have to steal plotline from somebody, you might as wel take it from them.

They also have quite a few similarities with the Wheel of Time, Roran is exactly like Perrin with the whole reluctant blacksmith axe warrior going to extreme lengths to rescue his fiancee/wife.

Yes-also-practically all books follow the same pattern-
    1. lonely teen
    2. discovers powers/is discovered by respected teacher/hero
    3. taken away from un-priveliged life
    4. Is taught on a trip to the safest fort/safe place
    5. amazing powers are unleashed
    6. teacher is surprised
    7. teacher claims full right to tutor the teen
    8. Teen becomes very talented and aves teachers life
    9. a secret of the teens past arises relating them to powerful/wealthy family
    10. Teacher and teen fall in love(girl/boy and father/son/daughterish)
    11. Ocassionally teacher dies, leaving teen even more determined to overcome evil

see a pattern emerging?

The Black Magician Trilogy
    Harry Potter
    Darren Shan
    His Dark Materials (great books)

correction-a lot of books-not all.

sydney, aussieland (well...close to it anyway)
    Im in the middle of Mists of Avalon.....divine.....
    mists of avalon...really?
    i couldnt get into it
    i didnt grab me at all

well for me its nice cause when i was little i used to read King Arthur tales all the time, even if they were a bit male dominated and biased towards christianity....so this is just like anothe rway to lok at it, and i like Marion Zimmer Bradley as an author, so it all works for me i guess

just started reading a wizard of earthsea. i got all four books in one. My boyfriend had it lying around in his room and i decided to commandere it for myself. then make him read it(he hadnt even read a page!). then make him read BoP. lol. Divine is a good word for this book. its delicious to read! very similar to the BoP though, which i dont mind.

well for me its nice cause when i was little i used to read King Arthur tales all the time
    ME TOO!!!!
    one time on this drive up to queensland (which takes a LONG LONG LONG time, especially with 3 little kids in the car) mum and dad read us this whole book of king arthur and ive been obsessed with him ever since.
    i was gonna do my extension history major on him last year...but then i dropped ext. history for ext. 2 maths
    i <3 maths!

I love King Arthur tales as well! My favourite (BY FAR) is King Arthur series is the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. It talks about how Camulod was established, by Arthurs great grandfather Publlis Varrus and his friend Caius Brittanicus. It talks about how the fort was established, the invading Saxons, Cornish men, the evil man Lot to the North, and the decline of Britian. The first 2 books is from the point of view of Caius and Publis, the third from their Grandkids Uther (Arthurs father), and his cousin Merlyn (Merlyn is a interesting character, it explains why everybody thought he was magical), then after that its Arthur (at least so far)..The series consist of 10 books or so, its quite a commitment but VERY rewarding

yeah..that sounds awesome! i guess i always liked the kinda less factual, more mythological stuff. Especially really anything from that time period, a little bit before, during and a bit after the Roman occupation. If anyone reads Garth Nix, in his last collection of short stories, "Across the wall" he has some great short stories on merlin, nimue*sp? and the lady of the lake.

yeah..that sounds awesome! i guess i always liked the kinda less factual, more mythological stuff. Especially really anything from that time period, a little bit before, during and a bit after the Roman occupation.
    If you like that time period then you have to read the Boudica Quartet by Manda Scott. Dreaming the Hound, Dreaming the Bull, Dreaming the Eagle, Dreaming the Serpent Spear. (i can't remember if that's in order or not hmm)

Scott has based a large part of the books in historical fact but has invented this great mytholgy and other little bits and pieces for the bits that where we don't know what happened for sure.

I'm about to read the forth (if the &#*&@ who has it before me would return it to the library, it was due YESTERDAY!) and i highly recomend it.

yay!
    i love historical books that have been made more interesting by th addition of magic and other such fantasy elements...*cough* romance *cough*
    im about to read the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde, has anyone read it and is it good?
    i got inspired by the movie the league of extrodinary gentlemen.
    and as an exciting addition to this post:

X-MEN III!!!!!!!!!! OUT NOW!!!!!!!! IM SEEING IT TONIGHT!!!!!!! HUGH JACKMAN IS MY HERO!!!!!!! THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC!!!!!!! (when u read that u must imagine me talking in a crazily excited voice....which could be a little hard i spose as none of u have ever heard me talk b4...hmmmmmmm )

YAY!More X-MEN!WHOO!I ,3 Cyclops-although he could do with lightening up a teensy bit.Anywhoo- Arthurian stories are amazing-there are so many variations and interpretations of the many stories its impossible NOT to love them!
    I couldn't really get INTO the Earthsea books-I'll have another go though...if you lot say so I guess they're worth a try..

yes!!! I LOVE X-MEN!!! oooh i cant wait to go see it...has anyone seen it yet?