Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Hey, Scribe, BigDave, CoolDog--really glad you all came. Love the conversation. Connections lead to well, more connections!

Orianus Creation Series CoolDog's Avatar
    Thanks for the welcome! I am glad to see somewhere on this forum where Christian authors and readers are getting to know each other, and also the non-Christians who are not prejudiced against our works.

As you can see, I joined three years before you and only have 20 posts. I am glad to see some like-minded authors and readers here now.

Shane
    Last edited by CoolDog; July 28th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDog View Post
    If you plan on selling your book to a mainline publisher, they do prefer between 80 to 120 thousand words. I published POD, so I left my three novels intact. The first was around 176,000, the second around 203,000 including the glossary, and the third just over 187,000 words. I published in size 10 font to keep the page numbers down, and I prefer size 10 anyway. I'm just saying there are options to publish the book intact if you so desire. In a 6X9 paperback in 10 font, your book would probably be around 380-390 pages long.

Shane
    I might stick with splitting it in two. They'd make good sizes for Tommy Nelson books, should they be interested, and I'm hoping to aim it to YA audiences anyway.

Um.... *glares* that's for me to know, and you to never find out. So there.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Outcastscribe View Post
    • Name or User Name

I'm delighted that the handle 'scribe' has stuck so well. That's what most people call me now, so feel free to do the same.

• Interests/Hobbies
    Writing though it's more like an obsession/calling. I write SciFi, Fantasy, and Science Fantasy. I dabble with art (I work with fabric, wood, paper, and even some metal) and usually turn to that when I'm stuck for words.

• Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not?
    Yep and loved each one!

• Have you read Isle of Swords or not?
    Yep and loved it too. Can you sense the smugness?

• Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre.

I think possibly either "A Wolf Story" by James Byron Huggins OR "Children in the Night" by Harold Myra

• Anything else you want to share.

I love Ireland, I lived there for three months, and I would go back in a heartbeat.
    *runs around the room squealing excitedly* Scribe is here!!!! Yay!

*waves* Hi Scribe!!

Hi Pais!

Quote Originally Posted by Pais Charos View Post
    *runs around the room squealing excitedly* Scribe is here!!!! Yay!

*waves* Hi Scribe!!
    *runs around in circles as well* Hi Pais Charos! It's so good to be able talk with fans and writers and authors of this genre. I all ways feel like I'm all by my lonesome in my love of it. Though I have, like a worm in an apple, been making inroads at work for fantasy and science fiction.

Name or User Name
    Roheryn!
    Interests/Hobbies
    firstly, the three 'R's, riding, reading, and 'riting! Horses in general, or maybe, equines in general, manga/anime...
    Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not?
    the first, in the process of procuring the second... or trying to...
    Have you read Isle of Swords or not?
    not yet...
    Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre.
    I would have to say... Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger. My mom was tired of me reading the same books over and over again, and asked my uncle ot give me a book. The first one I borrowed was, Spellsinger. I was hooked, and it opened up my eyes to all the great fantasy/sci-fi books out there!
    Anything else you want to share.
    uh... if anyone was wondering... I'm, as was recently put, during the Fantasy Fiction Tour, the 'famous' Roheryn! ((if I could spell my own name at 12:40 at night... morning... whatever...))

I somehow failed to mention that positions 1-6 of my top ten all time movies are taken up by Star Wars. Not quite sure how that slipped my mind.

Hi Roheryn!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
    I somehow failed to mention that positions 1-6 of my top ten all time movies are taken up by Star Wars. Not quite sure how that slipped my mind.
    TOO funny. Positions 1-3 of mine are The Lord of the Rings Movies, #4 The Matrix...

Lord of the Rings and The Matrix are in my top five, the only movie that tops that on mine is Princess Mononoke! Oh...and Star Wars is so awesome! I have rewatched that and LOTR too many times for my own good!

well... I don't have my favorite movies in a specific order... but I like
    Lord of the Rings
    Narnia (the newest version)
    Laybrinth
    Hidalgo
    The Last Unicorn
    FullMetal Alchemist: Conquerer of Shamballa

I never thought to rank my favorites by order. The movies I really, really like would be Star Wars, the Indiana Jones trilogy, the Back to the Future trilogy, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies, Mortal Kombat, The Neverending Story, Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, Big Trouble in Little China, and Transformers. Probably a few others I've left off the list.

Talking

Hmmm, favorite movies, favorite movies. . . How about current favorites? Which would be

1) The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (new version)
    2) Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl
    3) Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark
    4) Indiana Jones the Last Crusade
    5) Mirror Mask
    6) The Island
    7) I, Robot
    8) Hidalgo
    9) Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring
    10) The Sting

These are only current favorites and their rank is subject to change, though The Sting and Indiana are pretty much all ways in the top 10.

1.Princess Mononoke
    2.Lord of the Rings
    3.The Matrix
    4.Star Wars
    5.Pan's Labyrinth
    6.Ghost in the Shell
    7.Nightmare Before Christmas
    8.Devil's Backbone
    9.Edward Scissorhands
    10.Pirates of the Caribbean
    Runner ups:Stargate movie, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Dark Crystal, oh... and Narnia!!!
    Last edited by fantastyfreak; July 29th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    1.Princess Mononoke
    2.Lord of the Rings
    3.The Matrix
    4.Star Wars
    5.Pan's Labyrinth
    6.Ghost in the Shell
    7.Nightmare Before Christmas
    8.Devil's Backbone
    9.Edward Scissorhands
    10.Pirates of the Caribbean
    Runner ups:Stargate movie, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Dark Crystal, oh... and Narnia!!!
    If you liked Edward Sissorhands, and Nightmare Before Christmas, you'd love MirrorMask. Neil Gaiman co-wrote the script.