Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

www.questwriter.blogspot. flightmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
    Police knock on door later that night. "Excuse me. Can you tell me anything about a break in at the bookstore?"
    "Who me, Ociffer...I mean Officer? Now why would I know anything about that?" *flutters her eyelashes innocently*

"Would you like a lemon poppyseed muffin? Just baked today? Still warm?"

Hello all.

Name or User Name--My real name is Debbie, but my online name is Fiorinda

Interests/Hobbies--I am an obsessive reader, I am writing a YA christian fantasy, I also like to crochet, tat, and sew.

Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not? Not yet, but as soon as a new billing cycle starts on my credit card, I'm buying it.

Have you read Isle of Swords or not? Not yet, but want to.

Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre. I'm not totally sure, but probably The Chronicles of Narnia. My mother used to read them to my sister and I when we were little. Dune was probably the book that pushed me into the spec genre as a young adult. And as a grown up my future husband gave me At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald and The Napoleon of Notting HIll by G.K. Chesterton and I was hooked on Christian fantasy.

Anything else you want to share. I am a mother of 4, ages 6, 4, and 1 yr old twins, so I will probably lurk more than I post. I am a huge fan of YA fantasy and science fiction. My favorite secular authors are Garth Nix, Robin McKinley, and Patricia McKillip. My favorite Christian writers are George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, and G.K. Chesterton. I am only recently finding newer Christian authors that I like. I am more of a fairy tale type fantasy fan. My all-time favorite is Alice in Wonderland. I admire how she faces all the bizarre things that confront her.

I am excited to finally uncover some christian YA authors. The YA section is still so very pitiful at the christian bookstore. I think I like YA because in my head I am still 16. I am writing christian YA because I think there is a need for teenagers like I was to have something to read that does not compromise their faith, but challenges them to go "further up and further in."

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Hi!

oops, posted twice
    Last edited by fiorinda; September 2nd, 2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: double posted

Welcome, Fiorinda

Glad you stopped by. We love YA fiction round here. Several authors have been known to stop by...and many, MANY authors-in-training. We believe the Christian Fantasy/SpecFic genre is on the verge of an explosion of sorts, and we're just stoked about it.

Let us know if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable. Tea and scones served promptly at 7.

Never alone.

WtB

Hello from Ohio

Name or User Name - Brian Tubbs, pastor and freelance writer (and wannabe, aspiring novelist)

Interests/Hobbies - writing, reading, PC strategy games, inspirational movies, etc.

Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not? Not yet, but I plan to very soon. It comes highly recommended by an online friend and Christian sci-fi author, James Somers.

Your "Gateway" book - Well, let's see. I loved fantasy and sci-fi movies before I got into fantasy and sci-fi reading. So, my gateway "movies" were Star Wars (of course) and then most recently The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia. In terms of reading, I've very much enjoyed all of Frank Peretti's novels, James Byron Huggins' thrillers, and John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. While I'm not as much into sci-fi as I am fantasy, I nevertheless enjoyed James Somers' The Chronicles of Soone: Heir to the King.

Truth be told...I am really excited about the fantasy genre, but no author has yet to write the book that has captured exactly what it is I want to see in the genre - if that makes sense. The closest that has is Flanagan. I absolutely love his Ranger's Apprentice series.

But, of course, I've not read The Door Within yet, so we'll see.

I have never read the Ranger's Apprentice Series! *adds to list of books to buy* For the Christian market, I really am excited about the explosion of Christian Fantasy/Scifi books, esp. since alot of them are so awesome! Anyone know of any Christian vampire books! Seriously after reading Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse, I've been looking for a Christian Vampire book. Hmmm..... might need to write one, I have a lot of ideas on how to develop one

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTubbs View Post
    Name or User Name - Brian Tubbs, pastor and freelance writer (and wannabe, aspiring novelist)

Interests/Hobbies - writing, reading, PC strategy games, inspirational movies, etc.

Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not? Not yet, but I plan to very soon. It comes highly recommended by an online friend and Christian sci-fi author, James Somers.

Your "Gateway" book - Well, let's see. I loved fantasy and sci-fi movies before I got into fantasy and sci-fi reading. So, my gateway "movies" were Star Wars (of course) and then most recently The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia. In terms of reading, I've very much enjoyed all of Frank Peretti's novels, James Byron Huggins' thrillers, and John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. While I'm not as much into sci-fi as I am fantasy, I nevertheless enjoyed James Somers' The Chronicles of Soone: Heir to the King.

Truth be told...I am really excited about the fantasy genre, but no author has yet to write the book that has captured exactly what it is I want to see in the genre - if that makes sense. The closest that has is Flanagan. I absolutely love his Ranger's Apprentice series.

But, of course, I've not read The Door Within yet, so we'll see.
    Welcome to you, and well met, Sir Brian. That Ranger's Apprentice series...is that Christian fantasy? The books seem to be selling well. I see them everywhere.

And James is a great guy. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see some enterprising publishing house snap up Chronicles of Soone.

Never alone.

-WtB

I agree, Chronicles Of Soone is awesome! I hope to see his next book be picked up by Bethany House or Tsubasa!

Christian Vampire Novel

Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    Anyone know of any Christian vampire books! Seriously after reading Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse, I've been looking for a Christian Vampire book. Hmmm..... might need to write one, I have a lot of ideas on how to develop one
    Fantasyfreak--I do know of one Christian Vampire novel. It's called Never Ceese by Sue Dent. It also involves Werewolves. I just looked and you can check it out on Amazon. I read it last year for the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance, and it was pretty good from what I remember.

I think it is an interesting idea to ponder if vampires can be redeemed. I guess it depends on if you think vampires are demons inhabiting a human body or if you follow the vampirism is caused by a virus school of thought.

There may be a couple of other novels out there, but that was the only one that came to mind.

Master of Devon
    Stein Academy, home of the fantastic Mr. Suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pais Charos View Post
    Welcome Alex Rider!! I looooooooooove the Alex Rider books!!!!
    I can't wait for Snakehead!

Master of Devon
    Stein Academy, home of the fantastic Mr. Suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Welcome, Fiorinda

Glad you stopped by. We love YA fiction round here. Several authors have been known to stop by...and many, MANY authors-in-training. We believe the Christian Fantasy/SpecFic genre is on the verge of an explosion of sorts, and we're just stoked about it.

Let us know if we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable. Tea and scones served promptly at 7.

Never alone.

WtB
    Tea and scones? I love scones! (Welsh ancestry, runs in the blood)

What about some pocky, sushi, and ramune. XD! Just me being an otaku (Anime nerd/ Japan nerd), that's why I like that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by alexrider12 View Post
    Tea and scones? I love scones! (Welsh ancestry, runs in the blood)
    Welsh ancestry runs in my blood as well. Scot, Irish, Welsh...{Sigh, one day I'll get over there and visit the lands of my forefathers}

Never Ceese - Forever Richard

Sue Dent here. Very happy to see Never Ceese being mentioned. Just for the record, it was short listed for a Bram Stoker Award this past March for Superior Achievement in a First Novel and was voted book club choice of the month of April at the American Christian Fiction Writers Association.

Forever Richard, the sequel is due out October 31st and has been picked up by The Writers Cafe Press.

So many good reviews, Amazon has a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Dent View Post
    Sue Dent here. Very happy to see Never Ceese being mentioned. Just for the record, it was short listed for a Bram Stoker Award this past March for Superior Achievement in a First Novel and was voted book club choice of the month of April at the American Christian Fiction Writers Association.

Forever Richard, the sequel is due out October 31st and has been picked up by The Writers Cafe Press.

So many good reviews, Amazon has a lot.
    Hi, Sue

Congrats on the accomplishments! Thanks for coming by,