Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

traditional zombie novel

not reading horror novels i decided to give some a go,now i was looking for a good zombie book to start me off but after reading some reviews it seems that some of the better ones have free thinking, talking ,society forming zombies in them.as this isnt my idea of the walking dead i was wondering if anyone had read some good traditional zombie novels

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy
    not reading horror novels i decided to give some a go,now i was looking for a good zombie book to start me off but after reading some reviews it seems that some of the better ones have free thinking, talking ,society forming zombies in them.as this isnt my idea of the walking dead i was wondering if anyone had read some good traditional zombie novels
    Dannie, I'm not sure about "traditional" -- for instance, do you mean the Haitian zombie, or the George Romero, Night of the Living Dead zombie?

I believe that a few years back Leisure issued some novels by Hugh B. Cave that would have had the former. Cave had lived in Haiti for awhile, I think, and wrote quite a bit of fiction based on that.

For the latter ... I'm less sure. I know one of the most popular zombie novels around right now is The Rising by Brian Keene.

Try checking this thread, too,
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...hlight=zombies

Randy M.

I think one of the most exciting 'old school' treatments of the zombie apocalypse theme around at the moment is 'The Walking Dead' by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, which started its run in 2003. It's actually a comic book series, although I've been waiting and buying each trade paperback as they are released.

It follows a small-town police officer, Rick Grimes, as he attempts to keep his wife and son safe amidst a zombie armageddon. They join up with other survivors and travel across America in search of a safe haven. They various find sanctuary in the wilderness, a farming community and on the inside of a high-security prison ... but each time, internal tensions and strife force them to move on once again. What I really like about the series is that while the zombies remain an ever-present and terrible threat, it is the foibles and inner demons of the various human characters which bring about the greatest disasters and downfalls.

Maybe you'll be put off by the fact that this is comic book material, but I'd urge you to give it a try.

As you note, quite a few recently published takes on Zombies in the written word horror genre have been deconstructions or reimaginations of them. Kirkman and Moore tread more traditional ground, albeit with a gritty modern sensibility.

Although, there is a good argument that they're working in the George Romero mould, which could be construed as just being a more successful take on zombies than others which haven't quite captured our attention in the same way.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; July 24th, 2006 at 04:31 PM.

David Moody has a series called Autumn which is pretty good. The first book you can download for free at http://www.djmoody.co.uk/.

The books tend to be character driven.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Max Brooks has a new book called "World War Z".

How frightening is it when you can outrun a zombie?

Of course, I'm biased.

World War Z is terrific! Best zombie novel I've read, including all that dreck available via Amazon. (Lot of self-published stuff there--beware!)

Hmm, I wonder if you're trying to refer to mine without having the guts to specify?

fyi, my Dark Resurrection was published by the now-defunct Barclay Books (small press). It was not self-published. And just to follow up, I recently signed with Samhain Publishing to republish D.R. in the Spring of 2007.

Never even heard of yours, John--but I do like your use of "guts" in reference to a zombie book.

Congratulations on your publishing deal though!

~*EmeraldVampire*~

I have a few to recommend

I just finished City of the Dead by Brian Keene, and although the zombies aren't very Romeroish, it was still excellent. Also, there is a young adult series based off of Resident Evil games with a few new stories in the mix by S. D. Perry. Although they are young adult books, and are short they are really good. Another book that has a somewhat zombie theme is Cell by Stephen King.

I'm looking to bulk up my zombie book collection, so any suggestions from other would be great!

I'd second Autumn by DJ Moody. Gotta admit, I wondered what he was going to do with the zombies after the first 100 pages - but he does ok in the end. I'll be buying the rest of the series as well.

Also, look for mine out (hopefully) within the next 18 months

Solaar
    pupil to master

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldVampire View Post
    Another book that has a somewhat zombie theme is Cell by Stephen King.
    Wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for the traditional type of zombie though. I was disappointed when I read it.
    Even though it is a "scientific" book I would say that The Zombie Survival Guide by the same author as to World War Z is the best zombiebased book that I have ever read.

But I'll check out some of the other books that have been mentioned here.

'Dead City' (Joe McKinney) is a more traditional zombie novel that's worth getting hold of if you can. A police officer battles his way across the city to try and reach his family whilst fighting off zombies every step of the way... It's a good fast paced read (that is slightly spoilt by the author trying to pose ethical questions on the treatment of zombies) that is better than Brian Keene's 'zombies that can fly helicopters etc'...

The rationale behind the zombies in The Rising fits into the overall arc of Keene's work. They aren't mindless Romero-esque zombies. They're much, much more.

2nds on Wolrd War Z and comic The Walking Dead. I will have to try a few of these others. I enjoyed Keene's 2 books but they were not 'real' zombies to me, as were the Cell 'zombies' from King.

I like my zombies dead, mindless with no other ambition but to get more BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!