Cecilia Dart-Thornton and Kate Forsyth

Has anyone read anything by Kate Forsyth or Cecilia Dart-Thornton. If so what did you think of them.

I'm a fan of both these authors. I've read both of Kate's series and have read the first series of Dart-Thornton's.

Cecilia is very good with description and has a real way with words. I also like the fact that she based a lot on real folklore and mythology. Makes it that little bit closer to home I think. there were a few scenes that were so well written that they were creepy.

Kate is really good too, not as in depth in her description, but a great story. in fact both her series are one long story, really. A lot of the culture is derived from scottish culture and many of the witches (the series is called the witches of Eileanan) practices are very similiar if not borrowed from wiccan rituals and such.

Sorry if this is out of place or is a repeat of an old thread, but I'm new.
    Eager to hear your opinions on these two great authors.

ive read Celia Dart Thornton, the first series, The Bitterbynde, was not too bad for a romantic style fantasy, enjoyed that series quite a bit.
    but then i made the mistake of starting on her second series. The Crowethistle Chronicles, if you treasure your fond memories of Dart Thornton whatever you do, do not even entertain the idea of reading that series, it is pathetically woeful page after page of description of useless crap, and then when you think youve had enough description, heres some more !, and if you think i am kidding go here and read for yourself

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Tree-Crow...e=UTF8&s=books

The Bitterbynde series is one of the few fantasy series I have actually given up on. I read the first two books but found the use of language self-concious and stilted. In fact Dart-Thornton's style so grated on me that I could not bring myself to read the third book, and I'm glad I didn't bother with her new series.
    I am reading Katharine Kerr's The Gold Falcon at the moment, the 12th in the Deverry series. I have returned to this series, which is split into four quartets, several times over the years, and still find her ideas fascinating. And Kerr can tell the story without sounding as if she has swallowed a thesaurus.

Ok. I must admit, there were times were the description in the dart-thornton books was over done. She almost goes in to describe the descriptions. But its is quite lovely writting. It's a pity its so over done, because were the longer, more in depth descriptions used not so frequently, it would have been a lot better.

A very special tree...... lovely_elm's Avatar

The Iron TreeI

I spent rather a long time looking at books in Waterstone's today and picked up The Iron Tree by Celia Dart-Thornton. I was interested to know if it was any good. I'm not so keen on the idea of descroptions of descriptions, and am interested in if she writes engaging characters. Any pearls of wisdom for me???

Has anyone read anything by Kate Forsyth or Cecilia Dart-Thornton. If so what did you think of them.
    Okay and shite. Forsyth's books are okay if you want a quick read, Cecilia Dart-Thornton take pretensiousness to unprecedented levels in fantasy.

Uh, Moderator
    You might want to look at this thread for some more opinion on Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

El-Prawno
    That's strange.
    My impressions on Thornton.
    1st series was far too wordy. And I didn't like the ending. lol.
    2nd series was less wordy, but the plot is pathetically weak IMO.

Forsyth- Her original 6 series book is average. They're just quick reads and it has a decent storyline.
    Her new trilogy, Rhiannon's Ride, is a mediocre version of her original series.

I've read all Kate's books and i loved them to pieces..

& i'm reading dart thorton's now, the crow thistle cronicles, it's good, bit lovey dovey tho, i'm not sure i want to follow on with the next two books in the series

lol yes does seem like she swallowed a thesaurus.

I have read only Cecilia Dart-Thornton so far. And that only The Ill-MAde Mute. I have finished the book just a couple a days ago, and frankly, a cannot decide, if I liked it or not.

I liked the world setting (the geekish part of me cannot help, but think, that it would be a great setting for a D&D role-playing... ). The story was also quite captivating, but for me is the problem Cecilia's writing. She just gets too descriptive for my taste. She tends to describe just everything. For example: when a character enters a new room, then we got a half a page or even all page long list of all the objects in the room. A little to boring for me and I found myself hard to focus on reading after a while.

Well, the next thing is the use of vocabulary. She apparently uses a lot of uncommon words (for which I before thought they lived only in dictionaries... ), and it was for a time to time quite a problem for me, since English is not my native language.

I think the book has also a lot of repetition and consequently could be a bit slow. But then again, when I finished it I was interested enough to continue the series. But only after I will read a couple of other authors.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think the style divides or attracts readers.

Here's the reviews I did, a long time ago now:

Ill Made Mute

Lady of the Sorrows

Battle of Evernight

Think they echo your comments here.

Hobbit
    Mark

I read and reviewed Cecilia Dart-Thornton's The Ill-Made Mute for a local paper when it came out. I remember thinking it was great, loving the premise and the different approach to fantasy. I even liked the somewhat flowery language. I had high hopes that her style would mature, her stories strengthen, that the series might become a classic in fantasy. I could not have been more disappointed with the next two books. They were so slow and dreadful that I wanted to hurl them away bodily, but I was reviewing them so didn't have that luxury.

Everything that good writers and teachers tell you not to do, Dart-Thornton does. She over describes, she has plot shifts that are not casually linked, she has central characters that change names every couple hundred pages as a new whim takes them... Need I go on?

There were some good ideas and interesting blending of myths and fairytales, but no central plot to speak of, and characters that bored me senseless. It's almost as if Ill-Made Mute was written by another writer entirely.

I refused the option of reviewing The iron Tree (even though the title's pretty good) because I couldn't stand to read another word of hers. I have it on my shelf. Maybe I'll get to it someday and be surprised that it's good. I hope it is. I suspect otherwise.
    Last edited by bearhat; July 14th, 2007 at 09:02 PM.