Blackburn by Bradley Denton

Blackburn by Bradley Denton is back in print. Denton, a non-prolific author, usually writes in the SF&F categories, and his stuff is worth searching for, but Blackburn is mainstream contemporary. It's not a big spoiler to reveal that the title character is a serial killer. But he is a semi-likable serial killer, and the reader finds himself agreeing that at least most of his victims are better dead.

The book has some dark humor. The characterization is strong. The style is excellent. Some of the situations are bizarre, a Denton trademark. But all things considered, it isn't a comfortable read. If you are looking for something that is more toward the literary side of things, though, I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Blackburn by Bradley Denton is back in print. Denton, a non-prolific author, usually writes in the SF&F categories, and his stuff is worth searching for, but Blackburn is mainstream contemporary. It's not a big spoiler to reveal that the title character is a serial killer. But he is a semi-likable serial killer, and the reader finds himself agreeing that at least most of his victims are better dead.

The book has some dark humor. The characterization is strong. The style is excellent. Some of the situations are bizarre, a Denton trademark. But all things considered, it isn't a comfortable read. If you are looking for something that is more toward the literary side of things, though, I recommend it.
    Argh. Another book that's been on my shelves for years.

Denton is a writer who's looked interesting every since he published, Buddy Holly is Alive and Well and Living on Ganemede (think that's the right title; pretty sure it's close) and I just haven't gotten to him yet.

Thanks for the reminder.

Randy M.

Thought I'd bump this thread. Did you ever get around to reading this Randy? I have a few Denton titles on my shelf (including Blackburn), but haven't read it yet.

Slack.

Nope. Never have gotten to it.

Another one to push up the TBR pile.

Randy M.