Invidia Est Solus Semeta Aelden's Avatar

Lightbulb Book/Screenplay idea

I was looking at the "Best Superhero" thread and I started to think. Can you image what would happen if a war broke out between America and (Iraq, for example) when Superman was around (or more probably, Batman). There is no way the United States would let him stay out of the conflict. So, a book and/or screenplay idea came to mind where a "tacticious hero" (i.e. one without super powers, basically a masked vigilante) is drafted into the military. It would be slightly "buddy", but I think the overrall idea is pretty good. I was wondering: "Has anyone ever done anything like this, and if not, what do you think of the idea?"

-Aelden

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well Superman, for one, did fight on the side of the Allies in World War 2, so that might suggest it's been done before. Batman, as I understand it, (though I could be wrong) has been a bit more of a homie.

Hobbit
    Mark

In Alan Moore's astonishingly good "Watchmen", the frighteningly powerful Dr Manhattan is largely responsible for the US winning the Vietnam war at a canter.

I'm not sure Batman would have been much use in the desert during the Gulf War(s), but he'd certainly be a factor in the current aftermath, i.e. the urban nightmares going on in Iraq's cities. If I were an insurgent, the knowledge that the Dark Knight was out there - just waiting, silently, in the scary way he does - would certainly occupy my mind.

I would wait until the war is over before writing the book.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Well Superman, for one, did fight on the side of the Allies in World War 2, so that might suggest it's been done before.
    Is that sarcasm I detect?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelden
    So, a book and/or screenplay idea came to mind where a "tacticious hero" (i.e. one without super powers, basically a masked vigilante) is drafted into the military. It would be slightly "buddy", but I think the overrall idea is pretty good.
    Sounds like another one of those boring spec ops films to me, no offense. Also it's been done so many times in comics it's cliche at best; see Cap America in WW2, J. Michael Straczynski's Supreme Power etc
    I don't see Batman going to a foreign country either, he can barely get on with Gotham Police Department (see the brilliant Gotham Central for a quality premise and top notch writing)