Does anyone here read fantasy graphic novels/trade paperbacks?

I just finished reading the Hedge Knight TPB earlier today and I was "very" impressed with the story as well as the artwork. As a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire novels I was somewhat skeptical, but after the first few pages I was really drawn into the story.

After reading that series I did some browsing on the net and just found out that there is a Hedge Knight II (sworn swords) currently in the works. I think the current issue out right now is 4 with a planned 5th and 6th to complete the series.

But what I'm really interested in is a series called Artesia, a few people recommended the title for anyone who enjoyed Hedge Knight. I went out to the website and read up on the series and it sounds really interesting. I think its really cool that graphic novels are more than just superheroes.

I hope this thread can serve as an introduction for fantasy fans who have'nt discovered graphic novels yet. And for those of you familiar with what's out there maybe you can add a few recommendations or thoughts on some of the titles you're familiar with.

Here a few links for anyone who's interesting in reading up on the titles I mentioned.

Hedge Knight:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...s=hedge+knight

http://www.amazon.com/Hedge-Knight-V...3137957&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hedge-Knight-S...3138064&sr=8-4

Hedge Knight - Sworn Sword:

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?book_id=6868

http://www.amazon.com/Hedge-Knight-I.../dp/0785126503

Artesia:

http://www.daradja.com/artesia.php

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Sure. Fantasy specific series that I have is the excellent Conan series by Busiek and Nord as well as Devil's Due's adaptation of Salvatore's Drizzt series.

I also recommend the collection "Loki" by artist Esad Ribic. Marvel 1602 by Gaiman and Kubert.

Fables, Astro City, The Walking Dead.

Yup. I've read quite a few of the older fantasy comics: Elfquest, Sandman, Bone, the Dreaming, Conan. Marvel 1602 was decent but not amazing because of far too many characters running around. Currently, I'm reading Fables in trades.

Depending on how you categorize things you might call the Authority scifi and Blade of the Immortal semi-historical fantasy.

The Doctor is in.
    There are actually quite a few good ones. Sandman, Lucifer, Preacher, and Hellblazer I think would all fall into the fantasy category. The recent Conan series has been good. All of these can be bought in trade paperback form, and the first 3 series I listed are completed.

If you're a Stephen King fan at all, check out the Dark Tower - Gunslinger Born. I thought it was excellent.

The Doctor is in.
    Y the Last Man and Walking Dead are also good, but tilt a little more to science fiction/horror than standard fantasy.

Word. Sandman and Watchmen are among the greatest works of Fantasy ever written (although the latter veers more towards SF).

Quote Originally Posted by tpetty View Post
    If you're a Stephen King fan at all, check out the Dark Tower - Gunslinger Born. I thought it was excellent.
    I haven't ever been a big graphic novel or comic reader, but I picked up The Gunslinger Born since I loved The Dark Tower series. I just started it yesterday and am loving it.

Tracy

All the time, especially now that comic collecting is getting so expensive for me. It's just easier to buy a TPB The Hedge Knight, Dark Tower, Watchmen, Sandmen, etc., are all great, but there are so many other worthy titles out there, that I think readers are missing out on a lot of amazing material...

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Aside from the adaptations, which I'm not really interested in, there's not a lot of fantasy being published today. The one I can think of off the top of my head (aside from Artesia, which I haven't read yet) is Archaic from Fenickx Publishing. It's dark fantasy with kind of an Eastern European flavor. I read Conan (Dark Horse) and Red Sonja (Dynamite Entertainment), too.

I loved the stuff that Crossgen was putting out before they went bankrupt, especially Sojourn.

I also enjoyed Soulfire from Aspen and look forward to Turner being recovered enough to finish the series up.

And if only we could get Madureira to do more Battle Chasers and Platt to do more Soul Saga. Those books were GORGEOUS!

As I used to be a fanboy I used to read a lot of these. I still maintain Bone is one of THE best fantasies ever written. My personal favourite was always Cerebus, the aardvark isn't often mentioned, but it's a graphic novel, probably the biggest ever. To a certain extent it's creator Dave Sim was the grandfather of the graphic novel. I don't even think Dave knew exactly what he was writing when he started it. I recently rediscovered my collected books and started reareading them and blogging the experience. If anyone is interested it can be found at: travelsthroughiest.blogspot.com. If I'm not allowed to put a plug in for that I apologise and feel free to remove it.