Break from genre?

This thread is rather timely for me...I'm just now getting finished with...The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan...It's taken me way..longer than it should have..To read this book..It's high time for something other than fantasy fiction...I might pick Wheel Of Time back up, at some point...but I'm leaning more towards waiting until the series is finished and then reading the rest of it...I have five books lined up....(Three of which are by Chuck Palahniuk..Choke by him was a blast) that aren't genre related...I will probably be ready for something fantasy fiction again, after that...So...Do you ever feel like you need to get away from reading fantasy for a while? Or maybe you never get tired of reading in the fantasy genre? I read all sorts of stuff inbetween the beloved genres of fantasy and horror.

^ Fay-lim. Ok, its Phill. Phellim's Avatar
    Well, I read a lot of different genres, so I never get tired of fantasy. Still, fantasy books make up the majority of what I read lately...

So... Whats up... With the... Randomly.... Trail...ing... off and pi..cking back up again... thing you... got going...

...there. ?

I try to space out my reading into different genres- so, go from a fantasy book to a history to a classic to historical fiction to philosophy. Not exactly a rule to it, and there are times when I'll read 5 fantasy books in a row, but I do try to diversify so as not to get tired of any one genre.

Well Chuck's "Haunted" is a fantasy novel, though my favorite of his remains "Choke" also -- they're making a movie out of it.

I don't take breaks from fantasy -- I just read other stuff at the same time -- mystery/thriller, chick lit, sf, horror, humor, contemporary, historical, etc. and selective non-fiction. The non-fiction goes slower because unless it's a memoir, I'm usually taking notes and can't read it on the fly.

If I want a break from fantasy I usually grab a SF book or at least grab a different author. And you might want to take a lengthy break from WOT, you've got about 1 book left before it starts it's downward slide in earnest. My own break from the series has been about half a decade now, I suppose I will finish reading it someday if he ever manages to finish it before he dies.

I switch genre's in a rotation. I have an excel spreadsheet listing horror, sci-fi and fantasy I want to read and I rotate. Right now I'm on Horror. When I finish what I'm reading, I'll switch to scifi, then fantasy. That way I don't get bored in one genre.

Yes, I'm anal retentive.

I have mixed feelings about WOT but I like it well enough. Kat..How was Haunted? I haven't read it yet, but it seems like it got mixed reviews to say the least. I'm reading Invisible Monsters, Lullaby and then Diary next by Palahniuk.
    Last edited by Posher; August 14th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

I love fantasy but get fed up with it after a while...especially if i read a really really good book and need to spoonge up the juices slowly or a really bad one - and you get disgusted with cliches for a while. I read fantasy somwhere above 60%, the rest is Sci-fi or (modern) classics from murakami, fowles, bulgakow, dostoievsky,...and so on. In the end I don't really care what genre the work I am reading belongs to as long is i enjoy the ride.

BLOOD FREASH TASTY BLOOD gollumbells's Avatar
    I usually read histrical fiction to break up the fantasy.

Sharpe, Emperor and romance of the hree kingdoms are my faveorite.

I move euqally from sci-fi to fantasy.

Both genres have their strengths, however I find fantasy can be unbelievably dull at some points.

I get the feeling, especially with robert jordan and also a book by feist, that they have just copied lotr, and changed the names.....

Harsh I know but I couldn't finish either of those books, and will probably never read anything by those two again.

However Robin Hobb and George R R Martin saved fantasy for me, and I am slowly going through their books (slowly by choice, as I am finding it hard to find another author with euqal originality and emotion, so I want these books to last)

I have recently bought gardens of the moon by erikson, as many people have put him up there with the two mentioned authors above. So im hoping that series offers an original story and world with brilliant characters.

I'd say sci-fi is my main genre, authors like Dan Simmons, Orson Scott Card, and others all offer great stories with great characters. With less of the same old same old that can be apparent with fantasy. (in my opinion )

I dont stray to genral fiction much. I believe that reading should unlock yuour imagination and emerse you into a world, and I find that much more interesting when the world or time is fictional.
    Last edited by grechzoo; August 14th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Posher View Post
    I have mixed feelings about WOT but I like it well enough. Kat..How was Haunted? I haven't read it yet, but it seems like it got mixed reviews to say the least. I'm reading Invisible Monsters, Lullaby and then Diary next by Palahniuk.
    It's very raw, would be the word I use. It is savagely satirical, which all his novels are to some extent, but Haunted is focused entirely on the black satire and pushing envelopes. In terms of structural form, narrative techniques, scope of vision, use of language, contrasting the surreal with the real, and stuff like that there -- it's really impressive. But it's also in parts gory, cartoonish and bizarre. Some of the stories within the story probably work better than others. I found it very interesting and thought it was cool that he did it, but it's not one of his stories where you are meant to get close to the characters like in some of his others such as Choke.

Thank you Kat...Haunted sounds worth checking out.