Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Lees of Laughter's End in U.S.?

Anyone have word on whether this book will arrive in the U.S. at any point?

As far as I know, the rights have not been bought by any US publisher. . .

Patrick

^ Fay-lim. Ok, its Phill. Phellim's Avatar
    All I know is that it's due for a 2007 release, but not in which countries first and the exact date.

It's out. . .

I have it!

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by pat5150 View Post
    It's out. . .

I have it!

Patrick
    Ok, so between 7:17 PM last night, and like 3 in the morning today, the book was suddenly bought by a US publisher, produced, and delivered to you?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No: someone said that they knew it was due out in 2007, but not when.

Pat's pointing out that it was released in March 2007 in the UK by PS Publications, (as was Blood Follows and Healthy Dead). So it's been out in the UK for a while. There will be a set including all three later in the year.

They are expensive in this format, but the only way of getting them in the US is to buy them from PS direct, or a US importer.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    No: someone said that they knew it was due out in 2007, but not when.

Pat's pointing out that it was released in March 2007 in the UK by PS Publications, (as was Blood Follows and Healthy Dead). So it's been out in the UK for a while. There will be a set including all three later in the year.

They are expensive in this format, but the only way of getting them in the US is to buy them from PS direct, or a US importer.

Hobbit
    It's double the price of the other books though if bought from the u.k., hence my question about a U.S. release.

Doesn't make sense to me that someone responds in a thread asking about a u.s. release by saying that they have the u.k. release. It was a pretty obviously obnoxious comment done so on purpose.

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    Got to say I think you're over-reacting there. Actually, the post you refer to was in response to one talking about in which countries and when the novella would be published. And I think the smile is not intended to be obnoxious, but rather to hint that Pat rather likes it.

So did I. It is a very good read, as are all Erikson's novellas. (I wrote the introduction for Lees which was a big honour).

You may find a US publisher picks up all three to release as an omnibus and that would be worth buying. But you need to remember that these novellas by PS publishing are all limited release, aim for a niche market and carry the price tag to match.

You can buy direct from their website and I know that means paying delivery charges across the pond. Otherwise, it may be a longish wait.

NOM

Quote Originally Posted by NOM View Post
    Got to say I think you're over-reacting there. Actually, the post you refer to was in response to one talking about in which countries and when the novella would be published. And I think the smile is not intended to be obnoxious, but rather to hint that Pat rather likes it.

So did I. It is a very good read, as are all Erikson's novellas. (I wrote the introduction for Lees which was a big honour).

You may find a US publisher picks up all three to release as an omnibus and that would be worth buying. But you need to remember that these novellas by PS publishing are all limited release, aim for a niche market and carry the price tag to match.

You can buy direct from their website and I know that means paying delivery charges across the pond. Otherwise, it may be a longish wait.

NOM
    The smile is more likely to reflect that it is indeed out.. too bad he knew it wasn't out in the U.S. and was just saying it to brag that he bought the u.k. version, which is irrelevant here.

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    Whatever the intended meaning of the emoticon in question (and Pat is not, to my knowledge, given to being obnoxious on these boards) it is not irrelevant in any case. Publishing is a global business and the UK publication of a book often has a bearing on a US publication (though not always positively, it must be said).

In any event did you not want to know that the book was available somewhere? If you did not know that before, now you do and hence you can buy the book if you can stand the delivery charges. If you want to read this excellent novella, I would call that useful information.

NOM

Sorry guys...

Never thought that my post would stir the kettle like this!

You wanted to know if it was avilable and it is. As far as know, Night Shade Books have will not publish The Lees of Laughter's End as a single novella, but rumor has it that they have plans to release an omnibus of all three.

American SE fans have stil found a way to get their hands on it. There is the PS Publishing website, various sellers on Amazon.co.uk, perhaps even the Book Depository (which offers free shipping to the USA). Don't know if you can get it from Amazon.ca yet, which would also cut down your shipping charge by a vast margin. . .

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by NOM View Post
    Whatever the intended meaning of the emoticon in question (and Pat is not, to my knowledge, given to being obnoxious on these boards) it is not irrelevant in any case. Publishing is a global business and the UK publication of a book often has a bearing on a US publication (though not always positively, it must be said).

In any event did you not want to know that the book was available somewhere? If you did not know that before, now you do and hence you can buy the book if you can stand the delivery charges. If you want to read this excellent novella, I would call that useful information.

NOM
    Nope, I knew about the U.K. release(it's only info available everywhere), which is why I specifically asked about the U.S. release. I am not going to pay $30 for a 100 page book.

"Anyone have word on whether this book will arrive in the U.S. at any point?"

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    If you are going to be pedantic about it, you did not ask about a U.S. release. You asked about availability in the U.S. which is quite a different matter as it is available in the U.S. Whether directly for PS Publishing, trhough amazon.uk or a few seconds spent searching on Abebooks.com. Arrival and release are two different things after all. The PS editions arrived in the U.S. months ago. So the answer to your actual question is: Yes I have word on whether this book will arrive in the US at any point. It arrived on my doorstep here in the U.S. back in May.

As for the intent of your post, I suggest contacting Night Shade books and asking them if they are going to publish the third book or not as they have U.S. rights to the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    If you are going to be pedantic about it, you did not ask about a U.S. release. You asked about availability in the U.S. which is quite a different matter as it is available in the U.S. Whether directly for PS Publishing, trhough amazon.uk or a few seconds spent searching on Abebooks.com. Arrival and release are two different things after all. The PS editions arrived in the U.S. months ago. So the answer to your actual question is: Yes I have word on whether this book will arrive in the US at any point. It arrived on my doorstep here in the U.S. back in May.

As for the intent of your post, I suggest contacting Night Shade books and asking them if they are going to publish the third book or not as they have U.S. rights to the first two.
    "whether this book will arrive in the U.S. at any point?"

Where do I say available? I said "arrive" as in being published here. I can't think of any other meaning of arrive in this context. It is not available locally in the U.S... only on import. if I asked when a Japanese game was going to arrive in the U.S., people would NOT think that ordering it from overseas would be what I was asking for.

"Yes I have word on whether this book will arrive in the US at any point. It arrived on my doorstep here in the U.S. back in May."

Yes that would be the correct response if you are trying to be a wise guy about it, fully knowing what was meant.

"As for the intent of your post, I suggest contacting Night Shade books and asking them if they are going to publish the third book or not as they have U.S. rights to the first two."

You mean the obvious intent... and yes, I could do that, or do the much easier thing and post here and ask anyone else if they had word yet. Of course, then I'd have to deal with people needy of attention who make obnoxious wise guy comments... which is fine. I just called them out on it.
    Last edited by shadow9d9; August 15th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.

shadow9d9,

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone here reacting in any way but helpful. I think you're taking things entirely the wrong way. This is an international forum. It's also a forum where many of the members routinely order from overseas. So I don't think anyone was out of line in pointing you to bookdepository or amazon.uk. They're both ways of getting the book delivered right to your door here in the US, all presented by people trying to be helpful to you. I think it's time to either move on from this thread or change your particular perception of what everyone else here is trying to do.