Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    Has anyone read........

    Shadowmancer? I stumbled across the title while was searching for something else. The article I read was a couple of years old but they were really hyping the book. I looked it up on some other websites and the reviews haven't been very good. I'm just looking for some of your opinions if you have any.

  2. #2
    Total Dork fantastyfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philly,Pa
    Posts
    64
    I liked it! It was good Even though it was not wonderful or really anything great, it was just a good read, not really memorable. Does that help?

  3. #3
    G. P. Taylor started out as a self published writer, and then Penguine picked him up because the book was selling so well. But in the copy I got there were typos and all kinds of errors and the plot was muddy to say the least.
    Last edited by Outcastscribe; July 30th, 2007 at 09:26 PM.

  4. #4

    Exclamation Pass on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
    Shadowmancer? I stumbled across the title while was searching for something else. The article I read was a couple of years old but they were really hyping the book. I looked it up on some other websites and the reviews haven't been very good. I'm just looking for some of your opinions if you have any.
    It's over hyped for what it is. And the copy that I got was badly edited. Example:

    "He always questioned her with silence or the back of his hand"

    How exactly does one 'question' someone with silence?

    Let's try "He always answered her with silence or the back of his hand."

    The view point switches are rough too. In one place it took me several paragraphs to realize that there had been a switch mainly because of the use of the pronoun 'he' instead of the characters name.

  5. #5
    Thanks for the info. I guess I will be finding out how it is for myself as soon as I finish HP and the Deathly Hallows. I walked in to Books-A-Million tonight and there sat many copies of Shadowmancer in the clearance section for $3.97. There were a couple other books by Taylor as well. I figured it was worth checking out for myself.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dave View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess I will be finding out how it is for myself as soon as I finish HP and the Deathly Hallows. I walked in to Books-A-Million tonight and there sat many copies of Shadowmancer in the clearance section for $3.97. There were a couple other books by Taylor as well. I figured it was worth checking out for myself.
    Hey, at that price you can't go wrong! :-D Wish there were a Books-A-Million out this way.

  7. #7
    Tolkien Disciple Wayne Batson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcastscribe View Post
    Hey, at that price you can't go wrong! :-D Wish there were a Books-A-Million out this way.
    Scribe, Arundel Mills has a Books-A-Million, a big one. By the way, if you go, could you tease them about getting my books out of their itty-bitty "religious books" section. I don't like sitting next to "The New Age and You, a Love Story."

  8. #8
    The Books-A-Million in Potomac Mills actually has a pretty good sized Christian Fiction section. Unfortunately, they and Borders are sold out of your book. Unfortunate for me, good for you.

  9. #9
    Total Dork fantastyfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philly,Pa
    Posts
    64
    Same way at my Borders! Except at Borders they put your books on display and shelve them usually in the Independent Reader section. But I remember I went to buy The Restorer and it was shelved right near the tarrot cards. I was like EEEK! Yes tell them to get Door Within right out of reach of the New Age section

  10. #10
    Yeah, the Border's here is weird. One shelf is full of Bibles, the next is full of books on how to conjure rain and worship a hotdog.

  11. #11
    Okay, not literally a hot dog. But you get my point.

  12. #12

    Wink Fun in Bookstores

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Scribe, Arundel Mills has a Books-A-Million, a big one. By the way, if you go, could you tease them about getting my books out of their itty-bitty "religious books" section. I don't like sitting next to "The New Age and You, a Love Story."

    Okay, the 'teasing' thing got me thinking and it's confession time. You can all do this too, though I do have some 'guidelines' for when and how and why I do this. It's not illegal, and I don't think it's immoral (I might be venturing into some 'gray' areas here) but it sure is fun. This dates back to last year when I would go and look and see how m'lords books were doing at Barnes & Noble and Borders and would wander for EVER looking for them going "They have GOT to be here somewhere" but they were. . .

    not in the teen section
    not in children section
    not in the adult fantasy
    not on the new release shelves.

    So, finally I had to ask one of the clerks and they took me to the 'religious' section in the children's section (who knew that it even existed?) and they pointed them out, sitting right next to Bibles. So, I did what any clerk from another store and a fan of m'lords would do, I took a copy and waited for the clerk to leave then wandered around for a bit and 'miss shelved' it with the other children's fantasy (in alpha order) *BAD SCRIBE* Since then, if I find his books crammed in some corner where they aren't going to be noticed, I take one and 'miss shelve' it where it will be seen.

    I only do this if there are multiple copies of the book. The computer inventory that the bookstore uses is going to show them where to look for the book and I don't want them missing a sale because they can't find it.

    There is all ways a risk that eventually they will sell out and that one book I stuck with the other fantasy is going to be missed, but that's slim. And, book store clerks do straighten the shelves, and they do replace things where they go. I figure taking The Door Within for a walk isn't hurting anyone. I've also 'forgotten' and left it on various tables throughout different bookstores. So absentminded of me. Tsk tsk tsk.

  13. #13
    Total Dork fantastyfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philly,Pa
    Posts
    64
    I did the same yesterday! Its okay I do it all the time! Bad me... put Enoch's Ghost in the Harry Potter display table and Door Within next to a display of Inuyasha manga! Tsk! Tsk! I am a bad boy!

  14. #14

    Talking Walking. . .a new sport among christian fantasy fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    I did the same yesterday! Its okay I do it all the time! Bad me... put Enoch's Ghost in the Harry Potter display table and Door Within next to a display of Inuyasha manga! Tsk! Tsk! I am a bad boy!

    LOL Fantasyfreak you and I are kindred spirits! Hmmm, I wonder how many other of our kind have been 'walking' The Door Within, Enochs Ghost, The Restorer, or Rise of the Dibor. . .

  15. #15
    Xenite Roheryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    I have a location?!?
    Posts
    44
    hm... I never even thought to do that... that might be because I don't think... but that's a different story...

    I might just have to take the ones they have for a walk next time I'm in Borders...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •