Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hugo Award Nominees 2011

From Locus:

Nominees for the Hugo Awards and for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer have been announced by Renovation, the 69th World Science Fiction Convention, to be held in Reno, Nevada, August 17-21, 2011. The Hugo Awards ceremony will take place August 20, 2011.

BEST NOVEL

* Cryoburn, Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
    * Feed, Mira Grant (Orbit)
    * The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
    * The Dervish House, Ian McDonald (Pyr; Gollancz)
    * Blackout/All Clear, Connie Willis (Spectra)

BEST NOVELLA

* The Lifecycle of Software Objects, Ted Chiang (Subterranean)
    * ‘‘The Maiden Flight of McCauley’s Bellerophon’’, Elizabeth Hand (Stories)
    * ‘‘The Sultan of the Clouds’’, Geoffrey A. Landis (Asimov’s 9/10)
    * ‘‘Troika’’, Alastair Reynolds (Godlike Machines)
    * ‘‘The Lady Who Plucked Red Flowers beneath the Queen’s Window’’, Rachel Swirsky (Subterranean Summer 2010)

BEST NOVELETTE

* ‘‘The Jaguar House, in Shadow’’, Aliette de Bodard (Asimov’s 7/10)
    * ‘‘Plus or Minus’’, James Patrick Kelly (Asimov’s 12/10)
    * ‘‘Eight Miles’’, Sean McMullen (Analog 9/10)
    * ‘‘The Emperor of Mars’’, Allen M. Steele (Asimov’s 6/10)
    * ‘‘That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made’’, Eric James Stone (Analog 9/10)

BEST SHORT STORY

* ‘‘Ponies’’, Kij Johnson (Tor.com 11/17/10)
    * ‘‘For Want of a Nail’’, Mary Robinette Kowal (Asimov’s 12/10)
    * ‘‘Amaryllis’’, Carrie Vaughn (Lightspeed 6/10)
    * ‘‘The Things’’, Peter Watts (Clarkesworld 1/10)

BEST RELATED WORK

* Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve, William H. Patterson, Jr. (Tor)
    * The Business of Science Fiction: Two Insiders Discuss Writing and Publishing, Mike Resnick & Barry N. Malzberg (McFarland)
    * Writing Excuses, Season 4, Brandon Sanderson, Jordan Sanderson, Howard Tayler, Dan Wells
    * Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It, Lynne M. Thomas & Tara O’Shea, eds. (Mad Norwegian)
    * Bearings: Reviews 1997-2001, Gary K. Wolfe (Beccon)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY

* The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man, Mike Carey; art by Peter Gross (Vertigo)
    * Girl Genius, Volume 10: Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse, Phil & Kaja Foglio; art by Phil Foglio (Airship Entertainment)
    * Grandville Mon Amour, Bryan Talbot (Dark Horse)
    * Schlock Mercenary: Massively Parallel, Howard Tayler (Hypernode)
    * Fables: Witches, Bill Willingham; art by Mark Buckingham (Vertigo)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – LONG

* Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    * How to Train Your Dragon
    * Inception
    * Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    * Toy Story 3

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – SHORT

* Doctor Who: ‘‘A Christmas Carol’’
    * Doctor Who: ‘‘The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang’’
    * Doctor Who: ‘‘Vincent and the Doctor’’
    * **** Me, Ray Bradbury
    * The Lost Thing

BEST PROFESSIONAL EDITOR LONG FORM

* Lou Anders
    * Ginjer Buchanan
    * Moshe Feder
    * Liz Gorinsky
    * Nick Mamatas
    * Beth Meacham
    * Juliet Ulman

BEST PROFESSIONAL EDITOR SHORT FORM

* John Joseph Adams
    * Stanley Schmidt
    * Jonathan Strahan
    * Gordon Van Gelder
    * Sheila Williams

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST

* Daniel Dos Santos
    * Bob Eggleton
    * Stephan Martiniere
    * John Picacio
    * Shaun Tan

BEST SEMIPROZINE

* Clarkesworld
    * Interzone
    * Lightspeed
    * Locus
    * Weird Tales

BEST FANZINE

* Banana Wings
    * Challenger
    * The Drink Tank
    * File 770
    * StarShipSofa

BEST FAN WRITER

* James Bacon
    * Claire Brialey
    * Christopher J Garcia
    * James Nicoll
    * Steven H Silver

BEST FAN ARTIST

* Brad W. Foster
    * Randall Munroe
    * Maurine Starkey
    * Steve Stiles
    * Taral Wayne

JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER [NOT A HUGO AWARD]*

* Saladin Ahmed
    * Lauren Beukes
    * Larry Correia
    * Lev Grossman
    * Dan Wells
    Last edited by Hobbit; April 24th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Initial thoughts (my own, not the website, ya de ya da...)

Pleased to see the Willis, surprised (but pleased) at Feed, very surprised at the Bujold: not in the same league.

Still don't get NK Jemisin, nor Lauren Beukes myself. But there are a lot of fans out there for both.

Can't believe Dr Who, Christmas Carol is there, nor 'F me, Ray Bradbury' (or indeed should that be F' me, I don't believe it....)

Mark
    Mark

None of my novel nominations made it, not too surprised at the nominees but not exited about them either.

Good selection for the novellas, while I do not recognize most of the novellettes (I did like 'the emperor of Mars', which I listened to as a podcast). Slightly surprised that the newer publications seem to be missing in the latter category.

Only four short stories, I liked the Watts and read the Johnson after the Nebula nomination and found it OK.

Nice nominees for short form and semipro.

ETA: I missed that it is Randall Munroe of xkcd fame in the fan artist category, nice

ETA2: and no Charles Stross at all, must be the first time in ages of course he did win one last year
    Last edited by Seli; April 24th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes: novelettes: 4 Asimov's, 1 Analog. Hmm.

Mark
    Mark

Really liked Jemisin's novel, which was all about rebirth and the nature of existence. It's interesting that she got the nod. Bujold's Miles books seem to be something that appeal to both fans of older SF and newer SF. Feed has gotten a lot of buzz, so that's nice to see it there. I'd like to see more new names in the short fiction categories, but I am glad that Peter Watts' "The Things" got nominated as it's a great story. I don't really see why there needs to be three Doctor Who episodes filling up the short category. "Vincent and the Doctor" certainly did deserve it, but the other two are not as strong. Interesting group for the Campbell Award.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Can't believe Dr Who, Christmas Carol is there, nor 'F me, Ray Bradbury' (or indeed should that be F' me, I don't believe it....)
    If "F' me, Ray Bradbury" actually wins I might lose all faith in the SFF community.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I don't really see why there needs to be three Doctor Who episodes filling up the short category. "Vincent and the Doctor" certainly did deserve it, but the other two are not as strong.
    Seems to be the norm. Two or three episodes have been nominated each year since 2006. It is apparently the only SFF television show airing or, at least, the only quality one. I am surrounded by Doctor Who fans and almost all of them think that every episode is the best thing ever, so I can understand how more than one episode gets nominated. Just started watching it myself because of this and, yeah... it is a decent show, but I am not wild about it.
    Last edited by Winter; April 24th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Not heard of most of them. Eeep.

I'm glad to see Writing Excuses up for an award, though. I think that show is absolutely brilliant, and Sanderson & Co do a really good job with discussing things relating to writing and the industry, although it does rather obviously revolve more around SFF and YA rather than literature as a whole.

Blog Entries
    From cgw's post in the SF Thread, now directed here:

Anyone read The Dervish House?
    Blackout/All Clear? Two different books? I have read her earlier Hugo winners so how do these compare?
    I've read Cryoburn.
    I've looked at The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (started but bailed out early).
    I am not too excited about Feed.
    Mark

very surprised at the Bujold: not in the same league.
    You are very right. Cryoburn is not a very good novel

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    None of my novel nominations made it, not too surprised at the nominees but not exited about them either.
    Almost the same here. Only The Dervish House was among my nominations. Surprised not to see Kraken by Miéville and Surface Detail by Banks.

Good selection for the novellas,
    I agree. I think it is the strongest category this year.

while I do not recognize most of the novellettes (I did like 'the emperor of Mars', which I listened to as a podcast). Slightly surprised that the newer publications seem to be missing in the latter category.
    I agree again. I haven't read any of the novelettes. I was expecting "Amor Vincit Omnia" by K.J. Parker which I really loved. And about newer publications (Lightspeed, Clarkesworld and the like) I think they mainly published short stories in 2010 so there was not that much choice.

Only four short stories, I liked the Watts and read the Johnson after the Nebula nomination and found it OK.
    I think Watts is the clear favorite here. I didn't care much for the Johnson's (and think, in Johnson's stories, "Names for Water" was much better).

Nice nominees for short form and semipro.
    Agreed. John Joseph Adams is doing a great job with Lightspeed and clearly deserves the nominations.

ETA: I missed that it is Randall Munroe of xkcd fame in the fan artist category, nice
    Nice indeed (I'm a great fan of xkcd) but not sure it is SFF

Blog Entries
    Thanks odo. For the record, IMO it's not bad, but I was definitely underwhelmed by it until the last couple of pages.

And it's certainly not as good as some of the other nominees.

Meant to add for cgw: Blackout/All Clear is one book split into two, released about six months apart. I loved it, though it did get bogged down a little in the second half.

Hundred Thousand Kingdoms I'm still trying to work out why I didn't like it. But I didn't. Lots of people did, though.

Personally I'm not sure how much the Connie Willis sympathy vote will play a part: Dervish House/Blackout-All Clear for the win, IMO.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by odo View Post
    I agree again. I haven't read any of the novelettes. I was expecting "Amor Vincit Omnia" by K.J. Parker which I really loved. And about newer publications (Lightspeed, Clarkesworld and the like) I think they mainly published short stories in 2010 so there was not that much choice.
    Quickly checking the locus recommended reading list (not the final arbiter, but an indication) the pickings outside of the 'old' zines seem to be have a bit slimmer than I thought. And a lot of the novellettes in anthologies will probably have had a more limited audience.

Quote Originally Posted by odo View Post
    I think Watts is the clear favorite here. I didn't care much for the Johnson's (and think, in Johnson's stories, "Names for Water" was much better).
    The Johnson was also nominated for the Nebula, that might have given it a last shove.

I loved The Dervish House. It was one of my nominations and I'm glad it made the cut.

I was intrigued enough to buy Feed and I'll probably read it before the deadline. A little surprised it made the cut though.

I have no interest in any of the others. The Bujold and the Willis books seem like they were nominated because the authors have a lot of fans. Similar to the way a Scalzi novel always seems to make the final list. Though perhaps I'm being a little unfair as I haven't read either author.

Other than Inception, the movie selection is pretty bland too. Everything seems pretty bland compared to last year.
    Last edited by beniowa; April 25th, 2011 at 07:50 AM.

Personally I'm not sure how much the Connie Willis sympathy vote will play a part:
    Mark
    Sympathy Vote? What have I missed?

Cheers
    Lee

Blog Entries
    Nothing particularly Lee.

What I meant was that sometimes (and perhaps strangely) the Award is given not especially because of the book itself but because of the author. It is the members of the WorldCon that vote and this can skew things a little.

Lots of examples of this, but Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C Clarke is one; The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov another.

And Connie, rather like Lois, is very popular with Hugo voters. Connie has won 10 Hugos before, and been nominated another 13 times, is eloquent and has been Master of Ceremonies at least once.

This can sway a select audience.

Mark
    Mark