Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Author

Ask the Author

One of the Mods here suggested I create a thread where people who have read any of my books could ask questions.

Things like "What inspired you to create such and such a character?" Or, "When Aidan was trapped by the flying eggplant, why did he...?" (Note: no eggplants, alive or dead, actually appear in The Door Within Trilogy). Or "Why in the blankety-blank did you kill ---------? I liked that character."

Or even, "I didn't get the part where....."

Just remember to post a SPOILER ALERT if you give something away.

Fire away!

WtB

author:chroniclesofsoone James Somers's Avatar
    Wayne,

What inspired your ideas for Falon and her very unique maze?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Somers View Post
    Wayne,

What inspired your ideas for Falon and her very unique maze?

James
    Ever seen the old Henson movie, Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly? As a teen, it was one of my favorites. It was just the coolest, twisting, turning, full-of-illusion maze. "Things are not always what they seem in this place." was one of the tag-lines from the movie. On some level, I'm sure that had something to do with Falon's maze--though, her secret hiding place was just one of those lightning bolt ideas. I remember sitting at the keyboard when the idea for underground maze--and her secret--hit me. I could barely type fast enough to get it down. I was watching the mental movie of it and just "knowing" the scene would work well.

PS: Btw, if you know the movie Labyrinth, you might have spotted my allusion to it in the poem outside of Falon's Stair: "...through dangers untold and treasures great."

author:chroniclesofsoone James Somers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    Ever seen the old Henson movie, Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly? As a teen, it was one of my favorites. It was just the coolest, twisting, turning, full-of-illusion maze. "Things are not always what they seem in this place." was one of the tag-lines from the movie. On some level, I'm sure that had something to do with Falon's maze--though, her secret hiding place was just one of those lightning bolt ideas. I remember sitting at the keyboard when the idea for underground maze--and her secret--hit me. I could barely type fast enough to get it down. I was watching the mental movie of it and just "knowing" the scene would work well.

PS: Btw, if you know the movie Labyrinth, you might have spotted my allusion to it in the poem outside of Falon's Stair: "...through dangers untold and treasures great."
    Oh yeah, I remember Labyrinth very well. There were a lot of cool things in that movie. I had the DVD where they showed how they did that cool glass ball trick with DAvid Bowie. Some circus performer or something actually put his arms through DAvid Bowie's armpits to do the trick (without being able to watch what he was doing) very cool.

I like those scenes where it just strikes you and you've got to get it down NOW!

James

Um.... *glares* that's for me to know, and you to never find out. So there.

All during that scene all I could think of was that movie! I LOVE IT! I have the soundtrack too and *drumroll* soon I'll have the 25th Anniversary Edition 2-Disc DVD!!!!

*ahem* "Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City, to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me." (I only had about half of it memorized - the rest I had to look up...)

Sorry - got a little carried away.

Let's see... *thinks*

How did you get the idea that Alleble and our world were one once, and that they split and then ever person on our world has a Glimpse in the other world?
    Last edited by Pais Charos; August 6th, 2007 at 04:01 PM.

I can't BELIEVE I missed the Laybrinth reference *smacks head*
    and that's one of my Favorite movies!

Quote Originally Posted by Pais Charos View Post
    How did you get the idea that Alleble and our world were one once, and that they split and then ever person on our world has a Glimpse in the other world?

I used to wear out that Labyrinth soundtrack. {Croons} Daddy, daddy, get me outta here. Ah, ha underground!"

"You remind me of the babe."
    "What babe?"
    "The babe with the power."
    "What power?"
    "The power of voo-doo."
    "Who do?"
    "You do?"
    "Do what?"
    "Remind me of the babe."

{End Croon}

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The universe split in The Door Within in which each person is divided and a Glimpse twin exists was a way for me to communicate the concept of the spiritual realm. We are so duped into believing that what we see with our eyes is all there is. There's a battle going on for every soul--angels, demons, thoughts, and motives. So I created an original sin type event that triggered the Schism, dividing everything. I hope it gets people thinking.

I often wonder if I was influenced a little by Peretti's Darkness books. I read those and never prayed harder in my life. The Matrix also did a great job of developing the concept that what we see might not really be all there is. I've often thought that The Matrix is a very Christian movie, even if it's not. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Roheryn View Post
    I can't BELIEVE I missed the Laybrinth reference *smacks head*
    and that's one of my Favorite movies!
    What's really sad, Roh, is anytime they were talking about Falon's Labyrinth, and the whole time he was climbing down the stairs, then when he was going through the Labyrinth, all I could think about was the movie.

And I still missed the reference until m'lord mentioned it.

Same here lol! I feel like rewatching that movie b/c I absolutely love it! Anyways, I really do like the concept of the Glimpses in your book, it really illustrated spiritual warfare very well and as you said we do not see everything. My question is Did you get the inspiration of Mallik in Door Within from Gimlee in LOTRs. I know that is a bit of a wierd question, but while I was reading Door Within, I could not stop picturing Mallik as Gimlee.

Question!
    When are ya going to update your blog with the winner of the next suspense technique?

and if this ish going to be suspense technique #8, you're doing a very good job!

Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    Same here lol! I feel like rewatching that movie b/c I absolutely love it! Anyways, I really do like the concept of the Glimpses in your book, it really illustrated spiritual warfare very well and as you said we do not see everything. My question is Did you get the inspiration of Mallik in Door Within from Gimlee in LOTRs. I know that is a bit of a wierd question, but while I was reading Door Within, I could not stop picturing Mallik as Gimlee.

I'm a LOTR geek, pure and simple. I did not model Mallik off of Gimli son of Gloin (Told you I'm a geek), but his temperament is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Roheryn View Post
    Question!
    When are ya going to update your blog with the winner of the next suspense technique?

and if this ish going to be suspense technique #8, you're doing a very good job!
    Working on technique #4 winners now. There won't be a #8. But after this is done, I'll probably start a new tutorial and contest.

AWSOMEFUL!!! *bounces around off walls*

Working on technique #4 winners now. There won't be a #8. But after this is done, I'll probably start a new tutorial and contest.
    Yay! *waits, eyes glued to Wayne's blog* *clicks refresh button* *clicks it again* <_< *and again!* (I actually do this - I'm not kidding)

In all fairness, you are a busy man

A new contest?? Yay!!! I still need to write something for techniques 6 and 7.... hmmm...

ih, same... this one has an idea for 6! but hasn't looked at 7 yet... this one ish bringing her notebook with her to Dourney Park tomorrow!!!!