Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fantasy Films That Get the Thumbs Down

We love to gush about the fantasy flicks we love, but are there any that strike you as a stinker, or just disappointing?

I've got a few!

First I'd probably list the Robin Williams flick What Dreams May Come. The promos looked beautiful with its great special effects and vision of Heaven and Hell, but when I saw the flick, I ended up with a dreary, overwrought soap opera that had too many flashbacks. Big disappointment.

Also, I'd add The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter. The first one was a masterpiece. This sequel is just so-so. And the direct-to-video third one is...ugh.

Then there's Legend. It's not too bad, but it always had a weird vibe to it. Tim Curry was awesome in it, though.

Finally, I'd put Dungeons and Dragons. Most of the effects are very good, but this flick felt like one half Star Wars, one quarter Indiana Jones, and one quarter Lord of the Rings, mixed in not very distinctively.

Um.... *glares* that's for me to know, and you to never find out. So there.
    Quote Originally Posted by galacticlord View Post
    Also, I'd add The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter. The first one was a masterpiece. This sequel is just so-so. And the direct-to-video third one is...ugh.
    The second one was OK. I only really like it cause Jonathan Brandis was in it.... The third one STUNK! The third one didn't even come from the book, which the second one actually did.

The first one was a masterpiece - although there were still many many things that they did wrong from the book. The first one (if you saw my long list of movies in the intro thread) is my FAVE movie of all time

Then there's Legend. It's not too bad, but it always had a weird vibe to it. Tim Curry was awesome in it, though.
    *crosses arms* I like Legend!! But then again - I'm a unicorn nut

And Tim Curry was awesome in it. As was Tom Cruise.

Eragon-the book's good, not the best, but good coming from a boy who started writing at fifteen. But the movie, oh man what a stinker. The acting was laughable, corny lines, and way too much deviated from the book. To enjoy Eragon, you must treat it as a comedy, instead of a fantasy film

Earthsea tv movie- NO! I hate it! Too much deviates from Ursula Le Guin's masterpiece, if she hated it, then you know it must be bad. Tip:Avoid this trash at all costs

A Wrinkle in Time tv movie: Lesson 1 in book adaptation: do not try and modernize the book, leave it the way it is, searching tesseracts on the computer, IT drinking slushies with Calvin, Mrs. Whatsit talking through a tv., and I know not important but, instead of liver sandwiches and hot cocoa, we get peanut butter and jelly and hot cocoa at the beginning, when the whole family eats together. I'm sorry but everything about this film must have left poor Madeleine L'engle in tears.

Movies that I hope are not disasters:
    The Dark is Rising
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Stardust:Which I am seeing today!
    The Golden Compass

I loved Legend. The storyline was pretty week, but the way the movie was shot and the AMAZING diversity of fantasy characters was incredible. I'd be willing to be that Peter Jackson's vision of what Orcs look like came from Legend. Tim Curry was brilliant as the devil--showed that even he, the Tempter, could be tempted. And what was that thing beneath the water, the sea hag or something like that? That scared the Corn Pops out of me.

I'm hoping they'll put out an anniversary edition of Legend on DVD. I'd love to get something with behind-the-scenes stuff to watch. {I know, I'm a geek for that kind of thing though}

Let's see, fantasy stinkers, hmmm:

Two in the LOVE/HATE category:
    The original cartoon of The Hobbit--loved it because of the art, the characterization of Gandalf and esp. Smaug, but that doofy, falsetto guy singing on the soundtrack--eeek, what was that about?

Ralph Bashki's Lord of the Rings Movie/Animated Movie--I've read some people's scathing thoughts on this. I actually liked it. I thought Frodo and Gandalf were well done. Aragorn looked like a goon, and Samwise, well, they made him a blithering idiot. But my favorite part was Lothlorien. I thought Bashki was SPOT ON with Galadriel--even better than Peter Jackson's version. IMHO. I guess the only thing I hated about it was that there were no sequels. It ended with the fellowship.

I'm sure there must have been some fantasy movie I hated, but I tend to forget movies I don't like.

Oh, does this mean I get to bag Eragon legitimately? Great!

Spoilers and Sarcasm Ahead:

Hm..let's see..where do I start in on the flaws of this dreadful film?

'I suffer without my stone' - still a favourite, ridiculous quote droned out in ridiculous tones among my friends and I.

Hm. My horse can keep up with your huge flying dragon. Yes. Yes, indeed.

Here's an idea! Let's sneak into the big bad guy's castle, magically procure a cloak from nowhere and just...walk in, and about, and whatnot. Who cares! Hey, enemies, come on in! We're even giving away free beer.

Further to that, ancient dragon-rider can also sneak into the bad guy's castle, take free beer, remain unnoticed by all, including hero, and throw himself...in the nick of time...in front of a spear. Not sure how he managed to get in the room...where did he hide? Behind the spears?

Sinister boy in cloak (probably procured from the same place Eragon procured his mysterious cloak) tracks and keeps up with a flying dragon. Sure, we'll assume the dragon has been slowed down by the ailing princess - big fat thing that she is.

Let's blast the cute little LOTR rip-off town with fire and brimstone! And...by the end of the huge battle...ah, where's the fire gone? Doesn't look very burnt to me.

Love the way Eragon manages his hair...it can magically rearrange itself from artfully mussed to perfectly combed from one shot to the next!

'Only you can save us, Luke..I mean Eragon.'

*ahem* I might get pummelled for this, for there are two HUGE LOTR freaks on this forum (that I know of) ... but, I was extremely disappointed with the second movie, and certain aspects of the first and last. There were many things that were wrong - and yes, I understand making books like that into movies is rather difficult, and just begs for things to be changed. However, what was done in the second movie, was just absurd, and if things had been done per the book, the storyline would've moved on a lot faster. I mean ... Shelob is at the end of the 2nd BOOK, but it got pushed to the third movie, because in the second movie they had Faramir take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. Taking them to Osgiliath slowed the story down, so they then HAD to push Shelob to the third movie. Not only THAT, but the battle of Helms Deep was a very small factor in the book, while it becomes the focus of the 2nd movie, stretching that scene out much longer than it really was.

And ... I have to ask this. Why didn't Aragorn have THE sword with him throughout all three movies? He had it with him from the beginning of FOTR in the book, in his sheath in two halves, not twenty pieces, and then he had it forged in Rivendell, then took it with him on the quest.

*takes deep breath* Ok, small rant over I don't "hate" it - I was just very very disappointed in some of the choices Peter Jackson made.

The one movie that I'm hoping won't be a disaster is Inkheart. I LOVE the book, and I am so anxious to see the movie - but it doesn't come out till March (I think) 2008! *cries*

I think Rankin-Bass did a pseudo-sequel to the animated LOTR movie with an adaptation of Return of the King. I've never seen it yet, so I don't know how good it is.

Yeah, Legend is fun to look at. I always thought it came off as strange on my initial viewing. I haven't seen it in a while, so a repeat viewing may change my mind.

And there is an ultimate edition of Legend available on DVD, with alternate versions, behind the scenes footage, and a Ridley Scott commentary. Click Here.

LOL...you know, I actually did think Eragon was a rip-off of Star Wars from start to finish. I mean the actual plot line, point by point, with very few exceptions. It amazed me.

What does everyone think of Willow?
    Last edited by galacticlord; August 10th, 2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added Link

I think I have that edition of Legend ... somewhere

*looks at calendar* Only another week till I receive my 25th Anniversary Edition of Labyrinth!!! (I'm not excited....)

Quote Originally Posted by galacticlord View Post
    What does everyone think of Willow?
    Willow?

*galacticlord nods*

Wow ... I haven't seen that in ages. *shrugs* I liked it. But like I said - it's been a long time since I've seen it. Long, long time.

and speaking of horses in Eragon...
    oh, ih, my horse ishn't at ALL scared of your large, giant, freaky, flying dragon. not at all

I know what you mean about some of the annoying changes in the LOTRs movies. But even with them, I still love the movies and they seriously captured Middle Earth so well and set a precedence no fantasy film has come near yet. Stardust comes close (man that movie was so great and the book is too),so does Narnia, but LOTRs was a masterpiece. Some of the deletions annoyed me, but I still love it and rewatch it way too many times for my own good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pais Charos View Post
    And ... I have to ask this. Why didn't Aragorn have THE sword with him throughout all three movies? He had it with him from the beginning of FOTR in the book, in his sheath in two halves, not twenty pieces, and then he had it forged in Rivendell, then took it with him on the quest.
    Ih... the sword thing annoyed me... but it wasn't bad...

author:chroniclesofsoone James Somers's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    I loved Legend. The storyline was pretty week, but the way the movie was shot and the AMAZING diversity of fantasy characters was incredible. I'd be willing to be that Peter Jackson's vision of what Orcs look like came from Legend. Tim Curry was brilliant as the devil--showed that even he, the Tempter, could be tempted. And what was that thing beneath the water, the sea hag or something like that? That scared the Corn Pops out of me.

I'm hoping they'll put out an anniversary edition of Legend on DVD. I'd love to get something with behind-the-scenes stuff to watch. {I know, I'm a geek for that kind of thing though}

Let's see, fantasy stinkers, hmmm:

Two in the LOVE/HATE category:
    The original cartoon of The Hobbit--loved it because of the art, the characterization of Gandalf and esp. Smaug, but that doofy, falsetto guy singing on the soundtrack--eeek, what was that about?

Ralph Bashki's Lord of the Rings Movie/Animated Movie--I've read some people's scathing thoughts on this. I actually liked it. I thought Frodo and Gandalf were well done. Aragorn looked like a goon, and Samwise, well, they made him a blithering idiot. But my favorite part was Lothlorien. I thought Bashki was SPOT ON with Galadriel--even better than Peter Jackson's version. IMHO. I guess the only thing I hated about it was that there were no sequels. It ended with the fellowship.

I'm sure there must have been some fantasy movie I hated, but I tend to forget movies I don't like.
    Hey, that Legend, under water bog witch or whatever it was--was one of the scariest things I've ever seen to date in a movie--completely freaky looking. I loved the Hobbit cartoon, but hated the Lord of the Rings cartoon for this reason--all of the orcs were so dark that I couldn't see anything. It gave me a headache just trying to watch all of those shadows moving about in the battle sequences. Otherwise it could have been cool.

Are we including Sci-fi Fantasy in this listing? There really are too many, but here are some major disappointments for me...Star Trek 5, the one Shatner directed...oh man, it was like a bad root canal...yeah is there a good one?

I also thought the "lovey dovey" scenes in star wars Aotc were so horribly forced that it really threw a wrench into an otherwise good prequel sequel. I realize the acting never touched the caliber of the originals, but at least the effects were better and the increased lightsaber fights were nice.

James

You can throw in sci-fi if you want.

Star Trek V wasn't one of the good ones, but I've never really met a Trek film I couldn't watch.

Yeah, the romantic dialogue in AOTC was truly horrible. Why couldn't George Lucas find someone else to write those scenes? He admits he's not a very good writer. It wasn't very good in ROTS either.

Master of Devon
    Stein Academy, home of the fantastic Mr. Suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    Eragon-the book's good, not the best, but good coming from a boy who started writing at fifteen. But the movie, oh man what a stinker. The acting was laughable, corny lines, and way too much deviated from the book. To enjoy Eragon, you must treat it as a comedy, instead of a fantasy film

Earthsea tv movie- NO! I hate it! Too much deviates from Ursula Le Guin's masterpiece, if she hated it, then you know it must be bad. Tip:Avoid this trash at all costs

A Wrinkle in Time tv movie: Lesson 1 in book adaptation: do not try and modernize the book, leave it the way it is, searching tesseracts on the computer, IT drinking slushies with Calvin, Mrs. Whatsit talking through a tv., and I know not important but, instead of liver sandwiches and hot cocoa, we get peanut butter and jelly and hot cocoa at the beginning, when the whole family eats together. I'm sorry but everything about this film must have left poor Madeleine L'engle in tears.

Movies that I hope are not disasters:
    The Dark is Rising
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Stardust:Which I am seeing today!
    The Golden Compass
    I agree with most of your comment. I like the Wrinkle in Time movie. The music gets stuck in your head. (Then again, I'm a music nut, too, so...) I haven't seen the Earthsea TV movie, but I love the books, so I might just pass this one by. What you say about Eragon is 100% true. You might like the book, but you'll probably dislike the movie. If nothing else, for too many plot holes.

Watching Ralph Bakshi's LOTR is a soul eating experience. From start, with those pathetic shadow fighters, to finish, with Gandalf riding in on his smiling horse, gypsy music playing in the background, as he kills with bloody efficiency no less than four orcs in close-up.

The Dark is Rising: Trailer looks good, but it looked good for Eragon.

Spiderwick Chronicles: This one has so much potential... I've got my fingers double-crossed.

Stardust: I really want to see this movie.

The Golden Compass: The series got worse as it went on, so GC was the best of the three. I'll probably see it.

I'll add the Inkheart movie to the list.
    Last edited by alexrider12; August 15th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.

The Hobbit cartoon is pretty good. However, I really don't like the portrayal of Gollum. In the books, his speech is very simialar to Peter Jackson's trilogy. I just don't feel that the cartoon really captured him well. The song at the beginning is darn near the best part of the whole movie. "This is the greatest adventure" If you want to see something truly horrendous, search youtube for the video of Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. WORST SONG EVER!!!!!!!!! Now that my ramblings are over, I really have nothing more to add.