Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gemmell Award Shortlist announced.

Here: http://www.sffworld.com/2014/04/news...014-announced/

Discussion time: what do you think?

M.
    Mark

I really hope Mark T. Barnes will get the Morningstar Award. I loved his debut and am now almost through the second book. Can't wait for the third (should be coming out in may).

Can't say much about the Legend Award. I never could get into Brett's story (tried to read the first book) and Lynch also never succeeded in capturing me with his writing. So i guess those two are overhyped for my taste. Never tried Lawrence as he writes his books in first person narrative and i just can't connect with that. I guess my vote would go to Jordan/Sanderson (but only because i have fond memories of the beginning of the WoT...after book 6 it got worse with every following volume...stopped after book 10).

I'm not impressed by the Legend award candidates.

As for the Morningstar...

The Path of Anger won't be out here until mid-August, so I can't comment on that. Headtaker might be good, but I know nothing of Warhammer books.

I have read The Grim Company, Promise of Blood, and The Garden of Stones, and the latter is clearly the best imho. For that reason I'm a bit surprised it's on the list at all, and I'm sure that it has no chance of winning.

It seems a reasonable list: at least they are books I recognize and that people are talking about. I'm not very up to date in my reading, so I can't really give an opinion beyond that. I have read Emperor of Thorns (I enjoyed it and admired its originality, even if I did not love it unreservedly). I have read the two previous Scott Lynch books and enjoyed them (although I loved the first more than the second), but I haven't read this one yet.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farseer2 View Post
    It seems a reasonable list: at least they are books I recognize and that people are talking about. I'm not very up to date in my reading, so I can't really give an opinion beyond that. I have read Emperor of Thorns (I enjoyed it and admired its originality, even if I did not love it unreservedly). I have read the two previous Scott Lynch books and enjoyed them (although I loved the first more than the second), but I haven't read this one yet.
    you stole my post, i see.

my money's on emperor. though, given the nature of the voting, it could go anywhere. but emperor was a crowning achievement on that series and fully deserves my yeehaw of endorsement. maybe even a double-yeehaw.

okay, three. but i'm getting old and that's all i can manage.

i'm not sure how many people will be discussing the books online at the end of the day, though. i think a lot of it's on the bumpy and rather controversial build-up to the night. it's certainly been an exciting year for the snaga.