Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    So if your post appears on the next page of a thread, it now alerts me that my info may be lost because the webpage is changing. That's interesting...and caused me to double post.

Harry Potter was my first venture into fantasy, but then Tolkien, King (Dark Tower) and C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    Don't read too much fantasy like I used to. But what got me interested in this genre is probably any King Arthur related movie whether it was from the 50s, 60s, or 80s like Excaliber is what was awesome to watch when I was a kid. Still like watching classics like Legend, Dragon slayer, Conan the barbarian/destroyer, Ladyhawke ect ect if I can catch it on TV. Wish TV would show more obscure fantasy classics like deathstalker, circle of iron, sword and sorcerer, blademaster..ect. ect..more often.

The Hobbit and Sword of Shannarra.

The first five Sword of Truth books. I got bored with them and moved on to WoT.
    Last edited by Agassizii; October 29th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

The two Davids - Gemmell and Eddings.

Carl Alves
    For me it was definitely Conan both by Robert Howard and Robert Jordan (I actually prefer the Robert Jordan version).
    Carl Alves

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander when I was 8ish, then Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King when I was 12-13ish. But I didn't really start reading SF/F as my go-to genre until this past couple years when, in my early 30s, I read GRRM's Game of Thrones and saw what fantasy could be capable of.

I'm with Danogzilla - Chronicles of Prydain and Eyes of the Dragon. But I also loved mythology, Grimms fairy Tales etc.

Definitely Conan

Quote Originally Posted by CarlAlves View Post
    For me it was definitely Conan both by Robert Howard and Robert Jordan (I actually prefer the Robert Jordan version).
    Carl Alves
    Agreed. Conan was one of my earliest (Though only the Robert E. Howard version. Didn't even know there was a Robert Jordan version. Cool). I also read the Earthsea Trilogy and the Narnia books. I would say the most influential of these for me was Earthsea. I still think those rock. I am a little afraid of how I would feel if I went back to Conan. I'd hate to wreck my pleasant memories.

My Mum read The Hobbit to me and my brothers when we were kids, so that kicked it off. I then read Lord of the rings and the The Chrysalids and Eye of the dragon (suprised how many others read Kings book). Didnt read a lot during my teenage years, I was doing other things that will remian unsaid, but i kicked off with Lord of the rings again and that caused the reading explosion in this genre. I mixed it up with sci-fi, as well as Kings other books. The Belgariad and Thomas Covenant were the some of the first series after that.
    Thanks for looking
    Carry on

Replied in another thread, it was The Hobbit for me.
    Igor

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    ooh, this thread takes me back to the murky dungeon of my bedroom.

i got started on fantasy when i was given a large box full of old paperbacks. moorcock and leiber mostly. bit of vance and van vogt. a ton of zelazny (roadmarks remains one of my alltime favourite books ever). about a bajillion unknown authors of sword and sorcery. i was nine when i cut my teeth on those.

i didn't fit in at school.

When I was about 13 I checked out a book called Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey from my local library. Been hooked ever since.

Wink

My mum read me the lord of the rings when I was 2 which was what originally got me into fantasy But the first books I read when I started reading by myself probably Harry Potter and Eragon (I know, I know its not a great book, but still).