Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Actually.. it wasn't a book. What got me into fantasy was probably the PC game Warcraft II! I used to think that fanatasy was rubbish and 'unrealistic' before that and I preferred sci-fi. Then I played the game and had an urge to read more fantasy so I picked up book 1 of tLotR..

Went through LotR, then Hobbit, Silmarillion, Forgotten Tales. I wasn't going to bother with other authors since Tolkien was so good. Then I was recommended Wheel of Time and after that I was hooked!

Oh, of course I had read Narnia before, but I don't think it really counts as fantasy.. at least I've never thought of it as fantasy. That's why it surprised me when I saw you all talking about Narnia.

I did read the cosmic trilogy, but that's sci-fi..

Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber was the first fantasy book I read. But what really 'hooked' me into fantasy was C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine saga.

A teacher read my class THE HOBBIT when i was 10. I didn't understand it at first--I mean, elves were tiny silly creatures, weren't they? And the Hobbit--what was that, some kind of rabbit? Some indefinable 'thing' grabbed me, though, and I took the book out the library and read it myself a few months later. i was hooked from then on. I brought the Fellowship of the Ring' from our local bookshop and ended up reading it under the covers till 2 AM every night! Once I had finished it, of course i wanted more!! I quickly discovered Alan Garner, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander. I also started writing fantasy at the same time--at age 12 I wrote a 100 page tome called 'Emerald Eyes'which had surprisingly adult themes including a grown up heroine whose eyes had been put out and replaced by magical seeing emeralds! Twenty-eight years later i still read loads of fantasy--i still like JRRT and my other old favourites, but also tad Williams, Robert Holdstock, Donaldson,Nancy Springer, Paul Hazel, Janny Wurts, Parke Godwin and many, many more...

The first was The mists of Avalon only about 9 months ago, I dropped my Sidney Sheldons and ScottCards and jumped into My brother in laws Fantasy novels. My Brother in law introduced me to the SOT novels 2 months ago and i loved them so much i just flew through all 6 novels. Now i have just begin reading the WOT novels, also suggested by my brother in law. So if anyone can suggest any other authors or series to me i would graetly appreciate it. I love to read.

I became interested in Fantasy when I saw the cartoon version of the Hobbit when I was very young. But it was several years later when I was handed my first fantasy book (are you ready for this?) MORT by Terry Pratchett. It got me hooked. I followed it up with Sword of Shannara and The Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman and I haven't looked back since.

I think it was through playing the Final Fantasy games that I got interested in the genre. The first Fantasy books I read were the Chronicles of Amber.

I don't really remember which book I read first, though I do remember that the first book I ever bought was the Hobbit in 2nd grade (Didn't read the LotR until much later).

To be honest though, a large influence on me was my older brother who would often be seen staying up late at night reading an entire series of books. One day I decided to join him, and started with the boxed sets of C.S. Lewis's Narnia series and L. Alexander's Prydain chronicles.

Follow that up with Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Janny Wurts, Robert Howard, Terry Goodkind, Michael Moorcock, Karl Edward Wagner, and many more.

Playing D&D at the young age of 9 and video games also helped alot.

I was born this way.

I started with the Hobbit and LOR when I was 6 or 7...and from that moment I was completely hooked!

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    I was always a reader. I loved Grimms and Anderson's fairy tales. It was a natural progression to fantasy - total immersion!

I would say that I got into it at a very early age. Watching king kong and godzilla movies. Watching the fabulous Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies and Jason and the argonauts.

As far liturature goes, it was Robert Asprin's Another Fine Myth. I read it when I was 12 or 13, back in the early 80's. I thought it was the best thing ever. Still do actually. That lead me into his Thieves' World series and it went from there.

Well, while the books were in the non-fiction section, in the third grade, I started reading all the Greek and Roman myths... that kept me pretty busy until I was in the fourth or fifth grade(fifth I think) when I read the hobbit and the rest of the LOTR... after that, I tried to get more books to read from the library or my brother. I read Dragonsdawn by Anne McAffrey and that is the one that got me into the Pern books(plus it is the prequel to all the other Pern books). However, because of that book, I will always see the Pern books as Sci-Fi and not Fantasy.

Future suicide victim
    when I saw Debbie Does Dallas...oops not that kind of fantasy...

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Funny you should say that. When I tell some people that I write fantasy for adults (as opposed to YA fantasy) that's exactly what they assume. I get some pretty strange looks sometimes. I suppose that I should say that I write speculative fiction, but the odds are they wouldn't know what that is either.