Thread: Greg Keyes

Greg Keyes

I just read The Briar King and The Charnel Prince. I like it well enough but am thinking of holding off on the next book until the 4th book is released. Has any one read The Blood Knight? Does it leave you hanging? Is The Born Queen supposed to be the last in the series?

Also can any one comment on his book The Waterborn?

I really liked The Blood Knight, here is my Official SFFWorld Review, The Born Queen is the last volume.

You might find some comments here about his other work:

Greg Keyes - Martin clone???
    Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone
    The Blood Knight by Greg Keyes: Official SFFW review
    May 05 BOTM: Newton's Cannon by Greg Keyes
    Greg Keyes

The Waterborn comes up here

Native American Fantasy?

I am thinking of waiting until the next book is out and reading them back-to-back. It worked out well when I did that for Kate Elliott's series.
    This, however, leaves me without a book to read. So I am thinking about his earlier work. The only ones that interest me are The Waterborn and it's sequel.

I enjoyed The Chosen of the Changeling (The Waterborn and The Blackgod), but thought his Age of Unreason set much better and very original.

Greg keyes is one of the better authors on the scene currently.

The cover image for The Born Queen has been posted

Publication is set for March 2008.

sweet cover art best since the first book imho.

Uh, Moderator
    I'm not a fan (of the cover art, not the books). This has been somewhat alleviated by the Commonwelth releases, which have a smaller version of the US-cover picture within a framework. Hmmm. Clumsy description. How about this as an example:

At any rate, I think these books are worth a read, although I'm guessing reading them back to back Keyes' narrative technique of rotating POV's with cliffhanger endings could become quite ineffective.
    I'm still looking forward to the concluding volume.

I caved in and am reading The Blood Knight. I like it well enough but the Martin-lite tag is sticking around the back of my mind.
    Sort-of minor spoiler below.....

Spoiler:

He got the tag in part because he killed of a couple of POV characters in the first book. The characters that die though, do not neccessarily stay dead. It makes me think that he has run out of new characters and wants to keep the ones he has around.
    Last edited by KatG; September 10th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.

Spoiler Box: You do it like a Quote Box, except instead of the word Quote, you use the word Spoiler. So it's SPOILER in brackets [ ] at the beginning of the text and /SPOILER in brackets [ ] at the end of the text.

I tried Briar King and didn't like it. The characters didn't interest me. I liked Waterborn much better. When it first came out, Waterborn made quite a stir because it was rather unusual from a lot of stoires that were coming out at the time.

But my favorite of his also is the Age of Unreason books, though I haven't read all of it. These are alternate history fantasies, and feature Ben Franklin and Isaac Newton. Keyes is a very accomplished writer and if you liked some of his work, it's worth checking out the rest.