caught in the whirlwind of my imagination

A Spooky, Eerie, Creepy, Horrific Tale

There is just over a week left until Halloween 2014. So let's have ourselves a spooky, eerie, creepy, horrific little tale to fill the hours while we wait.

No limit on word count or content (beyond those of the forum). Bring in characters, hurt them, kill them off. Send a shiver down our spines and make us wish for someone else to be sitting next to us while we read in solitude. Ghosts, vamps, weres, gods, demons, spirits, witches, crazed humans, whathaveyou. Let's have a story fit for Halloween.

It had been a warm day in late October when Greg called him to go on a drive in the country. "To see the leaves," Greg had said. The sun was bright, the air crisp and cool and there had been hardly a cloud in the sky when they set out.

They were driving past an orchard when Greg had decided he wanted to get out and walk. They had pulled over to the side of the deserted highway and climbed out. The trees ahead of them were twisted and gnarled, their dark trunks rising out of the ground like hunched old men, their branches bending this way and that over the carpet of red, yellow and brown leaves that covered the earth beneath them. Even without their leaves, the tree branches were so thick that the sun could only penetrate the orchard as beams of radiant gold light. With a smile, Greg had drawn on his jean jacket and walked into the orchard. Pulling on his own coat, he had followed.

He now regretted that decision.

Night having long since fallen, he asked himself for what must have been the hundredth time, How big is this orchard? And the other question that plagued his thoughts, Where is the car?

Orchards weren't usually this big. Yet, they had walked miles since leaving he car. They were not in a hilly area, yet they had climbed rolling hillocks and stared up steep, rocky inclines. Nor were there forests nearby, the region being mostly farmland, but the trees had grown closer and taller. Rocks had appeared underfoot, babbling brooks and stronger streams crossed their path.

Greg remained, as always, in a good mood, certain the car and highway would present themselves just over the next hill. Walking behind Greg, his apprehension at their situation increasing with every step, he worried that they were even going in the right direction.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Stop," I said.

Greg glanced over his shoulder. A flash of green in the corner of his eye startled me but it was gone by the time he turned full round.

"Can't stop now. We're almost there," he said.

"The car? I don't think so, Greg. This doesn't look anything like where we started. Let's just turn around and follow our tracks back."

I wasn't sure that was possible, but the idea of going further into the forest sent a chill up my spine.

Greg didn't answer. He looked behind me, nodded, then turned to resume his march. I turn to check but there was nothing but a wall of spruce and fir obliterating whatever path we might have been following. My hands started shaking and a nervous laugh escaped me. Just how long have I known Greg? Do I trust him?

"Almost where?" I asked. I grabbed his shoulder when he did not respond. "Greg! Almost where? Where are we going?"

There, I saw the green light again. It flashed in his eyes and I gasped despite myself. Drawing back, I looked over my shoulder hoping, again, to see its source. But, again, there was nothing there.

I turned around to see Greg holding back the tree branches. He pointed with his other hand. "Through here."

I stared at him a long moment. Where were we going? I didn't think it was the car anymore.

I motioned for Greg to lead on. We met at work over five years ago and, when I took a new job, our friendship had persisted. However, Greg had been ignoring my calls of late, leaving my text messages unanswered. He didn't come over to watch the games as much anymore and, when he did, he always came late or had to leave early. I hadn't thought it was a woman, but now I knew without a doubt that he had been up to something. I only wish I knew what.

Greg led me around the base of a short cliff. "Just around this bend," he called back.

Was there a reason he had invited me to come with him today? Or was I, simply, chosen at random?

From ahead, there came the sound of voices.

"Are we meeting someone?" I slow my pace, not sure why.

"Friends." Greg leads on, not waiting for me to catch up. He never talks much about life outside of work and the games. Never has he been very sociable at functions either. I've always just assumed he lived a quiet life to himself. What am I thinking? How obtuse of me to assume I'd be his only friend. Of course Greg would have friends outside work.

I see him disappear behind the last tangle and decide to close the gap. In my haste I stumble over a few gnarled roots, but manage to stay upright. The tightness in my chest dissipates at the thought of more people. Probably a party. Yes, many people talking. Is that a fire? I love bonfires. If I'd known it was a bonfire I would have brought some beer and snacks.

"Hurry," Greg snaps me out of my stupor, "were nearly there." The orange glow reveals a gently spreading grin, a crescent from ear to ear. And teeth. Again the green flashes, albeit more intensely. It's the darkness I keep telling myself. I've read somewhere that your eyes play tricks when there's a lack of light. Tricks that display green tints and teeth...

I have no time to ponder such scientific facts. I'm scared and I know it. My brain knows it. It's playing tricks, so what? Once I'm out of the darkness and surrounded by other merry spirits I'll laugh over the whole ordeal. With a sigh I continue on. Greg must think me a total tool for doubting him the whole time. I hope I don't ruin his surprise. He's sensitive about such things.

I hear the tell-tale crackle of a good ol' bonfire. Voices are much louder now, singing something? No it's much too monotone for that? Are they praying? I've never known Greg to be the religious type. Hell, I've always thought him to be the skeptical one. I guess there's lots I don't know about Greg. "I hope we're not interrupting-"

"No, no, no." He reaches for my hand and tugs me on. Strange. "Why, we're just in time. There's some people I'd like to introduce you to."

"Shouldn't we wait until they're finished... ummm... praying?" I feel moisture spread under my arms, irrespective of the cool night. Something doesn't feel quite right.

"It'sssss fine." Was that a hiss? No, must have been a lisp. Since when did Greg have a lisp?

His grip is now iron tight as he leads me on. All I can do is take a deep breath and follow.

There was a small rise and a bright, red-ish light beyond it. Greg pulls me up the rise and, suddenly, we are looking down into a small hollow between other, little hillocks. Trees cover the hillocks while stars shine down from overhead. At the center of the hollow is an enormous bonfire. Half a dozen figures in dark robes move around it, not quite dancing but not walking either.

"Why don't you sit over there," said Greg. "That's where our guests sit."

I look to where he's pointing. Other figures, likewise in dark robes, stand around the edges of the hollow. Off to our right, sitting on a thick log between several of the standing figures, is a woman. She's about my age, I think, and cute. However, the flickering light of the fire, not to mention the moving figures around it, make it hard to tell.

I want to ask what is going on, what I've been invited to. But when I turn back to Greg I find he is already halfway down the hillside. I watch as two of the standing figures approach him. Greg removes his coat and hands it to one of them, then takes something from the other. A long, dark robe, it spills toward the ground as he unfolds it. Then Greg is wrapping it around himself and raising its hood.

I blinked. What in the world has Greg gotten me into?

Greg is no more. With his hood up, he just another dark robed figure among the many. I won't get any answers from them, not if they are all as tight lipped as Greg.

I sigh and look toward the woman. Maybe she will have some answers for me.

"Hello." I say to the woman. "Come here often?"

The woman smiles at me. I like her smile.

"Yeah I got the year's membership." She said. "Just waiting for my t-shirt and robes."

I felt a little more relaxed. She must know a little more about these nuts around the bonfires than me. If she'd been here before... but what if her joking was just a defense mechanism, like mine. I tensed again at the thought. I didn't want to say anything obvious or not funny to let the girl know how worried I was.

I had read bits and pieces about devil worshipers and necromancers and they really weren't the sort of people I wanted to be hanging around with, at night, in an isolated field.

I turned around to try to see my way back to the car and saw a couple of robed men position themselves behind me. I turned back to face the field gritting my teeth.

"My name's Fiorella." said the girl holding out her hand to me.

I took her hand, "Godzilla." I said and then realized that I'd made a mistake "Godzilla's my nickname. Which I hate. My real name is Clifton."

"They call you Godzilla because of your massive size and impressive tail, I'm Guessing?' She said looking at my tail.

"Yeah the tail might have something to do with it." I said. The girl's tail wasn't too shabby either.

A series of pyre were suddenly lit in the field that threw light on a huge wooden structure in the center of the field.