Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    "The first thing I saw when I stepped into my Uncle's embalming room was a filthy, plastic mop bucket."

Mice9
    Science Fiction:

A thousand fingers pointed to the sky. The light became so bright that the people cringed, and covered their eyes.

Fantasy:

"My fairies will saturate your kingdom in pestilence!"

War:
    The dark figure loomed over my prone body. He swung the giant scabbard toward my head. All at once, his chest exploded in a blaze of red.

Horror:

He stared at the corpus delecti. "This is the cadaver?"

Comedy:

"No, you stupid toad. Put down that pickle. Roxy, stop staring."

Idon'tknowwhatthatmeans. Mistress Maerad's Avatar
    More:

Shaya felt his hands on her back, and the urge was too strong: she turned and kissed him, knowing later she would fiercely regret it.
    "Does that mean I'm a failure?"
    "No, it means....yeah, it means you're a failure."
    "I love chicken," she mumbled in ecstcasy.
    He turned. "But not as much as I love you."
    The sky was pure black. The ground was dusty brown. Did that explain why I was turning green? No, I don't think so.
    The ship rocked slowly, and the waves crashed. And she was part of it all. An unusual gift.....a beautiful one...
    I hope you like...

The little girl is only nine years old, but she knows blood when she sees it. She remembers that day she fell off her bike and grazed her knee.

With the fifth recital of Jamie's murmured chant, Jenny fell backwards, limp, mid-sentence. The Bottle rattled on its base, twirling until it threatened to topple.

It made her sick, and that was the truth of it, to see Mother liking the saw like that. Especially since Claire had seen what it did to her.

Welcome to my Dalek poetry reading, this one's called daffodils:
    Exterminate daffodils!

More:

"I need....water...."
    "But there is none, Zephyr!"
    "Then I guess this is.....goodbye."
    "You can't go in there! You'll die!"
    "My parents are in there, Kirea!"
    "But it's dangerous..."
    "My life is dangerous. Why not take risks?"
    Marruin saw them, swarming and circling, and she knew with horrible certainty that Luke was dead, and that she was going to die, too.
    I like this thread......

"The dying words of my grandfather were meant to be heard, but they tumbled between his feeble lips like withered moths with his final breath and were crushed by a roar of thunder."

so sad.....

okay, some more. I like this thread.

The TV was blank....except for that one spot...
    She drew closer......what was it?
    That was when the house exploded.
    Lightning flashed, illuminating the figure on the cliff. She smiled menacingly, then jumped as her lover screamed below.
    I unfurled my wings and flew onward.....that is, until the gunmen started firing.

I find that most writing deals with the sense of sight, or sound. Very few people ever attempt to write descriptives dealing with the sense of smell. Perhaps because it is unnervingly difficult, or perhaps because it just doesn't occur; I'm not sure.

In any case, when I was in highschool -- oh, so many years ago -- I began a short story with a line dealing with the sense of smell. I don't know if it's a 'hook', or even worth keeping, but I'll throw it into the mix:

The docks were old, salty smelling, and given to the occasional waft of sun-dried fish.

That's all.
    Christopher

Interesting. I never realized that. Well, I'll give it a go...

The air was fresh and clean, and the wind carried the scent of something beautiful....well, something that was once beautiful.

Mine

How does one overthrow an empire? he thought. "Simple is best," he whispered, wheeling around to face his Emperor. His sword sang in its flight.

I didn't do it! Fantasyeatergal's Avatar
    Québec, Canada (yes, I'm a french speaker, so you guys be nice when I'm not grammatically correct)
    This is a very good thread. Lets give it a go...

I raised me face from my bloodied prey, crimson drops caressing down my chin. I took in the wintry air and thought, "God! that feels good".
    or...

This was a sunny day. Looking down at her brother's corpse, something snaped inside Rayna's mind. Time for revenge. A sunny day, indeed...
    in response to Remaxx comment...

Laying on is back, Rafe breathe in, trying to find the scent of leather, iron and cold sweat. The scent of his brothers in arm.
    Last edited by Fantasyeatergal; February 18th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

sf-icionado / horr-orator Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    I can feel it happening. I lie down and hawk a grim mouthful – my next personality is gonna wake up with spit in his face.
    An sf first line - I think I'll work this up into a short and see how many different minds I can fit in one brain...
    Last edited by Andrew Leon Hudson; February 19th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noumenon View Post
    I can feel it happening. I lie down and hawk a grim mouthful – my next personality is gonna wake up with spit in his face....
    That one is great.

I looked up in time to see him give me his smile, before quietly fading into thin air. Did I see it? Twas it memory?

I like this thread....

I didn't do it! Fantasyeatergal's Avatar
    Québec, Canada (yes, I'm a french speaker, so you guys be nice when I'm not grammatically correct)
    "I so don't want to get into this mess", he thought with a sigh, before he charged the door open and met the unknown...
    People can be so judgemental! A girl can't even have a tiny bit of human flesh in her frig without being called a monster...
    I realy love that thread!
    Last edited by Fantasyeatergal; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:30 PM.