Who saw The Dark is Rising?

I just got back from seeing it. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get more than a few pages in the book, so I don't know how the movie compares to the book. I'm sure the ipods and cell phones weren't in the original..heh heh.

Anyway, it was okay. Didn't blow my socks off, but it was fine, and the final act was very good.

I've only seen the trailer, but if it's roughly accurate then it seems to be af fundamental departure from the books, which contain elements of wonderfully british horror.

I did not see it, do not want to, looks horrible, especially with the fact the boy is not British! Grrrrr.....

I've read Susan Cooper's whole series, loved many aspects of it. But from what I can tell from the reviews and previews, it's a huge departure from the books--which is, IMHO, a mistake of Bill Clinton proportions.

There's a reason the books are popular to begin with---they tell a good story! Don't mess with it. Sheesh. Walden Media got it with Bridge to Terabithia. Peter Jackson understood it, and made a gazillion dollars. Wish the rest of Hollywood would get that.

The movie tanked big time on opening weekend, so it seems many agree that the film wasn't very good.

Strange, since Walden Media is the one that did this adapation, too.

I heard they deleted a character named Walker from the final film, and that Will's "girl problems" weren't present in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Batson View Post
    I've read Susan Cooper's whole series, loved many aspects of it. But from what I can tell from the reviews and previews, it's a huge departure from the books--which is, IMHO, a mistake of Bill Clinton proportions.

There's a reason the books are popular to begin with---they tell a good story! Don't mess with it. Sheesh. Walden Media got it with Bridge to Terabithia. Peter Jackson understood it, and made a gazillion dollars. Wish the rest of Hollywood would get that.
    Its really sad especially since Walden Media has done a great job with many adaptations like Narnia, I am David, and Bridge to Terebithia. I do not know what happened, I lay more blame on Fox, they ruined Eragon and will probalbly ruin The Cry of the Icemark (another wonderful book, that sadly has movie rights, bought by..... Fox) Fox is one of the worst studios! I hate them, they ruin everything.

Master of Devon
    Stein Academy, home of the fantastic Mr. Suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fantastyfreak View Post
    Its really sad especially since Walden Media has done a great job with many adaptations like Narnia, I am David, and Bridge to Terebithia. I do not know what happened, I lay more blame on Fox, they ruined Eragon and will probalbly ruin The Cry of the Icemark (another wonderful book, that sadly has movie rights, bought by..... Fox) Fox is one of the worst studios! I hate them, they ruin everything.
    They couldn't ruin STAR WARS...

Fox isn't responsible for ERAGON. That's the director's fault.

It seems this is on course to be one of the turkeys of the year.

I'm surprised how widespread the knowledge that the film is a departure from the book is... I've heard mainstream media reviewers commenting to that effect on the radio and TV. Seems like a surprising amount of people read Susan Cooper when they were young adults.