Any books similar to Dragonlance?

Hi guys - im looking for any books that are similar to the dragonlance chronicles, not the most advanced series in the world but thats the way i like 'em

ive read dragonbone chair but that didnt do it - too slow, characters to dull etc.

i need a good ol' epic with big characters (not dullards like simon), adventure and the whole works - please help me out

Time to change, Changer. foolofgold's Avatar
    Read Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, his trilogy is along the same lines as Dragonlance, but so much better.

I Think that the Forgotten Realms by R. A. Salvatore could compare. I think that if you like the dragonlance saga then you would enjoy this one even more. The series starts out with The Crystal Shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rearth View Post
    Hi guys - im looking for any books that are similar to the dragonlance chronicles, not the most advanced series in the world but thats the way i like 'em

ive read dragonbone chair but that didnt do it - too slow, characters to dull etc.

i need a good ol' epic with big characters (not dullards like simon), adventure and the whole works - please help me out
    I'm actually trying to reread Dragonbone Chair right now after about 10 years and as much as I like Tad Williams I don't think I can stand to reread any of his books. Otherland and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn were great books but he is really slow, spends way too much time describing everything.

As far as books similar to DragonLance, Forgotten Realms is the obvious choice. They are practically the same thing. Niles and Salvatore are the only Forgotten Realms authors I got into but that must have been 15 years ago. I also read David Eddings around that age, he might be worth a try.

Raymond Feists 'Riftwar' books, starting with 'Magician' might also be worth a try. It features almost all elements of Dragonlance and has a nice pace

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I'm actually trying to reread Dragonbone Chair right now after about 10 years and as much as I like Tad Williams I don't think I can stand to reread any of his books. Otherland and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn were great books but he is really slow, spends way too much time describing everything.
    I've been gradually rereading/reading this over the last few months. I'm currently on hiatus a third of the way through To Green Angel Tower, which I had never read before. I don't find the writing slow or overly descriptive. Much like all the other Williams I've read, I find the pacing fairly compelling. There was one slow chapter in Stone of Farewell that took some skimming, but other than that, for the size of the work as a whole, I find things to be very well-controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I've been gradually rereading/reading this over the last few months. I'm currently on hiatus a third of the way through To Green Angel Tower, which I had never read before. I don't find the writing slow or overly descriptive. Much like all the other Williams I've read, I find the pacing fairly compelling. There was one slow chapter in Stone of Farewell that took some skimming, but other than that, for the size of the work as a whole, I find things to be very well-controlled.
    I've got about 80 pages to go in TGAT, and for my tastes, the story overall was pretty slow, with the low point being Stone of Farewell.

However, I don't find Williams to be that descriptive, as I don't really know from the books what the main difference in architecture would be between Nabban and Hernystir, for example. He's not very good at describing architecture, cities and population, that's for certain.

What he is good at, however, is character development. You definitely see how Simon grows throughout the series, going from an empty-headed 14 year old scullion at the beginning to a (not much older) 16 year old man near the end. Lots of character introspection.

Almost done, and I don't want to spoil anything,
    Spoiler:
    but the butcher's bill is very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by columbob View Post
    However, I don't find Williams to be that descriptive, as I don't really know from the books what the main difference in architecture would be between Nabban and Hernystir, for example. He's not very good at describing architecture, cities and population, that's for certain.
    He's just so bad at his descriptions that he doesn't really describe what he is describing. He just spends alot of time telling you what's there without really telling you anything about it. Makes for very slow reading.