Looking for a book series, please help

About a decade ago I read an amazing Sci-Fi series with the main character having a speacial suit of armor. Here is what I remember of the plot:

The Character starts of on some planet some bad guys come after him its destroyed. He has a suit of armor from a war against alien insects, it has a leathery pad that develops an awareness as he sweats and bleeds in his armor eventually being able to control the armor by itself. He has flashbacks to loosing some fingers and toes to frostbite on his transport ship from the war. One of the last books has the hero fight an alien warrior with only strength enhancing bracer's to win some kind of peace settlement.

I apologize if someone has already started a thread for this series its just I hardly remember anything about it as I was only ten the first time I read it borrowing the books from the local library.

Thanks,
    Josh

Read interesting books
    One series that comes to mind is Warstrider by W. Keith

Cool Thanks but...

Thanks but thats not it, its a longer series 6-7 books and the last one was published sometime before '96, so it probably started in the eighties or earlier...

Could it be Charles Ingrid's Sand Wars series ? There are six books written between 1987-1990. They were republished by Daw in 2001 in tow omnibus editions.

Lowlander's right, it has to be Charles Ingrid's Sand Wars series.

Holy Crummoly

OMgosh I love you guys thats the series and my post hadn't even been up for a day, hopefully its as good as i remember it to be.

I believe the first DAW omnibus containing volumes I-III is still in print. Anyhow these books shouldn't be too difficult to find. Even here in Belgium I have spotted some copies in second hand bookshops.

By the way, Charles Ingrid is a pen name for Rhondi Salsitz, who also writes under the names of Elizabeth Forrest, Emily Drake and lately Jenna Rhodes.

Hmm

Well I found the second one with volumes 4-6 but I had to buy the first 3 individually off amazon