Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

I've just bought.... (Fantasy, version V)

Since 450 seems the cutoff number, time to start a new one of these popular threads.

My coworkers gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for my birthday and I recently used it to purchase three books. One of which is fantasy; a book I've been anticipating for quite some time:

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Since 450 seems the cutoff number, time to start a new one of these popular threads.

My coworkers gave me a Barnes and Noble gift card for my birthday and I recently used it to purchase three books. One of which is fantasy; a book I've been anticipating for quite some time:

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon
    Actually this one can be read for free online from the NYT magazine (search) in 15 chapters. They can also be downloaded and merged in a single file with a free html merger utility or directly with copy paste.
    I plan to read it once I am done with The Somnambulist (excellent book so far) and At the Court of the Air

midnight tides by steven erikson

I've been on a book buying binge the last two or three months, I'm afraid, most of it horror or fantasy:

Haunted America ed. by Marvin Kaye
    Reave the Just and Other Stories by Stephan Donaldson
    The 6th Messiah by Mark Frost
    The Unquiet by John Connolly (hc)
    Woman between the Worlds by F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre
    Valley of Lights by Stephen Gallagher
    The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: 20th edition
    Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge
    Twilight by William Gay
    In the Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Omnibus Volume 1
    Majestrum: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn by Matthew Hughes
    Lord Byron's Novel by John Crowley
    Armeggedon Rag by George R.R. Martin
    The Bone Key by Sarah Monette
    20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

When I'll get to read any of them ... well, I did read the Partridge already, so I guess there's hope.

Randy M.

Hm, well I've been reading The Deeds of Paksenarrion lately (so slowly, too, erk been an...eventful...last few weeks).

So, I picked up Surrender None, the first one in The Legacy of Gird by Moon as well (a kind of prequel I take it to the Paks' books).

I also found, finally, Wanderers and Islanders by Steve Cockayne, which is the first in the Legends of the Land series.

Been buying lots of non-genre lately, but have a few fantasy on order. Soon I'll finally be able to start reading Wolfe for the November bookclub.

classics classics classics...never enough of them

Yet more books today, found in my second hand store:

Southern Fire by Juliet E. McKenna (number one of The Aldabreshin Compass. No idea if that's a trilogy, or series, as I haven't researched it yet. I Have two of her other series The Tales of Einarinn to read eventually as well).

The Left Hand of Darkness by Le Guin, which I've been meaning to get for awhile.

The Assassin of Gleam by James Norcliffe, who is an NZ writer. He usually writes for young adults, and this is his first fantasy aimed at an older audience.

Bought new, finally:

Shadow and Claw by Wolfe for a late-month bookclub read.

Quote Originally Posted by Severn View Post
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Le Guin, which I've been meaning to get for awhile.

Shadow and Claw by Wolfe for a late-month bookclub read.
    I've read Le Guin previous month and it's one good book...i enjoyed it very much.

Yes well...our bookshops are a bit shy on "older" stuff, and sometimes totally ignore such authors as Wolfe,Cook,Zelazny etc. Nevertheless...I've heard so many great things about Books Of The New Sun I pre-ordered the omnibus "Severian of the guild" which is going to be released next month and includs all 5volumes in the series. I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by thrinidir View Post
    I've read Le Guin previous month and it's one good book...i enjoyed it very much.

Yes well...our bookshops are a bit shy on "older" stuff, and sometimes totally ignore such authors as Wolfe,Cook,Zelazny etc. Nevertheless...I've heard so many great things about Books Of The New Sun I pre-ordered the omnibus "Severian of the guild" which is going to be released next month and includs all 5volumes in the series. I can hardly wait.
    Yeah, the Le Guin is one I've been meaning to get for a long time. The copy I found is near-perfect. And the Wolfe - the bookstore where I buy new is actually really good. They stock most of the classics, and the little-knowns. They had the second part of the New Sun, but not the first. I was pleased to see that they obviously ordered extra copies when I made my order.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Solaris book of new Fantasy
    Greenmantle- De lint
    Somnambulist- Barnes
    Hiero's Journey- Lanier

James Barclay's Dawntheif

Halfway through it, can't stop
    It's exactly what I want in fantasy. No pretentious 'This is only 'fantasy' because it's part of my whole artistic idea that wouldn't make it in the mainstream' crap, fast-moving, interesting enough plot, compelling characters and organizations, awesome magic and an acceptable degree of cheese. And I need the cheese.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Riddlemaster Trilogy - Patricia McKillip

Night of Knives - Ian C. Esslemont

Chronicles of the Black Company - Glen Cook

^ Fay-lim. Ok, its Phill. Phellim's Avatar
    Well, I've been focusing on sci-fi/general fiction type books lately (currently reading Timeline by Michael Crichton), but I just bought Making Mone by Terry Pratchett last week. I haven't gotten around to it yet though, I still have a bit of a pile.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I just bought The Blade Itself. This is actually the second time I've purchased it, but this time I'll be gifting it to a friend for Christmas. Of all the fantasy I read this year, this book stands out as one of the very finest, so I thought I'd spread the love.

Braved holiday traffic for one last haul from the bookstore. Came home with:

The Secret Books of Paradys, Tanith Lee
    Winterbirth, Brian Ruckley
    Scar Night, Alan Campbell
    The Gilded Chain, Dave Duncan
    The Jaguar Knights, Dave Duncan

Does anyone know whether it matters if you read Duncan's Tales of the King's Blades and Chronicles of the King's Blades in order? I couldn't tell.