Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Nova Swings by M. John Harrison
    Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff
    Silver Screen by Justina Robson
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand
    The Gift by Patrick O'Leary
    Twilight by William Gay
    In the Forest of Forgetting by Theodora Goss (found this in Albany; hadn't seen it show up locally)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Omnibus Volume 1
    Don't Open This Book! ed. by Marvin Kaye
    Best Short Novels of 2007 ed. by Jonathan Strahan
    The Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. Howard
    The New Weird ed. by Ann & Jeff Vandeermeer
    The Nightwalker by Thomas Tessier -- I have an old copy around the house but the larger type and the additional novella sold me.
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick

Been on a buying binge the last couple of months and darn that Borders for encouraging me with coupons!

Randy M.

Today bought A Cruel Wind: A Chronicle of the Dread Empire, the Night Shade omnibus of Glen Cook's Dread Empire trilogy, with an introduction by Jeff VanderMeer.
    Yet another case of a book that would normally have been put on the list and bought later, but got an instant purchase because Night Shade's cover design just made it look so tempting (the previous cases of that were Elizabeth Bear's The Chains That You Refuse and Liz Williams' The Snake Agent).

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Had a bunch of Barnes & Noble gift cards from my birthday and from taking online surveys. Here's what I ordered:

Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
    Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson
    The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
    The Dark is Rising Sequence - Susan Cooper
    Temeraire Volume 1-3 Box Set - Naomi Novik
    Magyk - Angie Sage
    Flyte - Angie Sage
    Physik- Angie Sage
    Dark River - John Twelve Hawks

Expected to ship June 24th.

Uh, Moderator
    Some new arrivals:
    The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice, Cat Valente
    Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born, Peter David
    The New Weird, Jeff Vandermeer (ed)
    Big Fish, Daniel Wallace

A Mind of its Own, Cordelia Fine (non fiction recommended by Scott Bakker in an interview)

Not sure when I'll receive them, but placed an order for the following books:

The People of Paper, Salvador Plascencia (been meaning to pick this up for a while now)

The Secret History of Moscow, Ekaterina Sedia (this looks good to me; hope it lives up!)

I have been reading fantasy books for years and only recently discovered this forum (this is my first post). After reading many of the threads I've come to realise that I just haven't read many of the best fantasy series! So I decided to buy a few books that seem to be highly recommended here:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    Stone & Sky - Graham Edwards
    Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson
    Dune - Frank Herbert
    A Game of Thrones - George R R Martin
    The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden - Catherynne M Valente
    The Dragonbone Chair - Tad Williams
    Otherland: City of Golden Shadow - Tad Williams
    Severian of the Guild - Gene Wolfe

I've started with The Orphan's Tales as it is March's book club book. I have nearly finished it so just have to decide which one to read next!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nemo: welcome to SFFWorld.

That's a pretty good list there, actually: what it does mean, of course, is that you have a lot of great reading to look forward to, as well a corresponding rather large dent in your finances.

The Graham Edwards is an interesting choice: haven't seen those around for a while and he lives somewhere near me, evidently. I'm sure I've got a signed copy he did at the local Waterstones once upon a time...

But best of luck with the reading. There's some BIG books there. Suppose we'll hear from you in a year or two, when you surface!

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Thanks for the welcome . Actually I bought Graham Edwards' Stone & Sky as it came up on the 'unique concepts' thread - a world on a vertical wall with time travel sounded good and I found it on amazon marketplace for 1p so decided to give it a go!

I think I will start with Ender's Game though - I read the first chapter and immediately wanted to read more. Although it may be wise to start with Dune as I bought the omnibus. Then again I think I would like the Tad Williams books...too much choice!

I also read Ender's Game after reading about it at SFF, and I was very pleased with it. However, I thought of it (and Dune) primarily as Science Fiction.

I haven't read much science fiction and do tend to prefer fantasy. However, I was interested in reading some that seem to combine the two. I am guessing Ender's Game is pure science fiction, but I have seen it recommended by so many that I had to buy it. Dune seems to be classed mainly as science fiction on the fantasy forum and fantasy on the science fiction forum?! So I thought it must be a nice mixture of the two. Otherland is another that may be science fiction but is written by a fantasy writer so I thought may have aspects of both. Also Severian of the Guild seemed to be a sci-fi/fantasy mix and highly regarded on the fantasy forum. I haven't read any of these yet though !

Ender's Game is one of my all-time favorite books. It is definitely sci-fi, but some of the other books in the rest of the series tend to have some fantasy elements to them.

Game of Thrones is very good, and the rest of the series just gets better.

Be prepared for confusion when you start the Gene Wolfe series. It is regarded as a classic, but it must have gone over my head.

Smile

Forgot to mention the new books I've bought (actually, traded for at paperbackswap).

The Chronicles of Amber - Zelazny (Books 1-5 in 2 volumes)
    The Lions of Al-Rassan - Kay (just finished, very good book)
    Tigana - Kay
    Transformation - Berg
    First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Donaldson (First 3 books in a set)
    Gardens of the Moon - Erikson
    The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - McKillip
    The Gilded Chain - Duncan
    Once and Future King - White
    The Bone Doll's Twin - Flewelling

Now I just have to decide what to read next after I finish The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Paid a visit to the used book store today, and bought The Riddle-Master Trilogy for only a few bucks. I couldn't pass up such a sweet deal.

My latest Amazon order arrived today, and it has me fairly jumping with excitement - got some beautiful books I've been wanting to possess for a long time!

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by McKillip
    Ratha's Creature by Clare Bell - a childhood favourite
    The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson - a fairy tale fantasy set in ancient Japan
    The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Cat Valente - finally get to read this for the bookclub
    and also: The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin & Spice
    With Before They Are Hanged by Abercrombie thrown in there as well...