Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well...I saw the Dragonlance movie...

...and it's not as bad as it could have been. It's not great, but if it had been done exactly the same but with a bigger budget and as live-action, it wouldn't be any worse than your average hollywood production.

I'll talk about what's good first because it's quicker.

1. They pretty much stick to the story. There are some plot points cut for time (for example there's no sword of Kith-Kanan and Eben is completely removed) and we do get elements revealed that are not revealed in the books until much later, but there are few outright liberties taken.

2. Keifer Sutherland absolutely rocks as Raistlin. His voice is good enough that I would have liked to see him play him as live action (maybe ten years ago, anyway).

3. The animation, while of a quality one would expect of an 80's cartoon, is pretty good for an 80's cartoon. One way to enjoy the movie is to pretend that it came out in the 80's, while the books were still at the height of their popularity.

4. There's a kick-ass Iron Man trailer at the beginning. That movie looks like it's gonna rock.

And now the bad:

1. The animation. I know I said it was good for an 80's cartoon, but that doesn't change the fact that it looks like a freakin' 80's cartoon and it's 2008! The very poor computer animation, which is used to create the dragons, draconians and a few other things, also serves to ruin the feeling that you're watching an old 80's cartoon, plus it's just really, really bad. I've seen people create better on their home computers.

2. If you haven't read the book, don't bother trying to understand the ending. It rushes things so terribly.

3. The beginning is absolutely bloodless (the goblin fight is pathetic) and later on there's too much blood. If you have children who are single-digits in age, don't let them watch this.

In the end, it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon with your kids, and it might even stir interest in them to read the books. And let's face it, Dragonlance ain't exactly The Lord of the Rings or anything. Most people who love it do so on an "it was an integral part of my childhood and the books that turned me on to fantasy" sort of way. Let's be realistic; this movie was never gonna get a huge budget, and if they had tried to use this budget to make it live-action, we would have gotten a production that would make Sci-Fi Channel Originals look like big-budget mega-blockbusters.

I can live with what we got.

i saw it too. i thought it was a great experience because now i can watch all uwe boll movies, believing them to be modern masterpieces of filmmaking...

hahah boiler

Quote Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
    i saw it too. i thought it was a great experience because now i can watch all uwe boll movies, believing them to be modern masterpieces of filmmaking...
    Uwe Boll? Good Lord! It was that bad, huh?!

Let's put it this way; if you compare what Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings did to LOTR, Dragonlance got it better.

But not by much.

Where is Peter Jackson when you need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywarp View Post
    Where is Peter Jackson when you need him.
    I think Dragonlance would be a waste of his talent, honestly.

If there's ever gonna be a live-action Dragonlance movie, give it to...I dunno...Peter Hyams.

But honestly any live-action adaptation would probably warp the story to the point where we couldn't recognize it, and you KNOW critics would call it a LOTR ripoff and encourage audiences to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Takoren View Post

If there's ever gonna be a live-action Dragonlance movie, give it to...I dunno...Peter Hyams.

But honestly any live-action adaptation would probably warp the story to the point where we couldn't recognize it, and you KNOW critics would call it a LOTR ripoff and encourage audiences to stay away.
    You're probably right. But DL is my golden child, my glorious introduction to fantasy fiction as a pre pubescent ankle biter. I would take anything half decently based on it and lap it up .

Just dont let Uwe Bol near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Takoren View Post

I agree. I never did want to see a live action DL movie, better to make it animated. While I certainly enjoyed Dragonlance and thought it was a helluva lot of fun reading it, I didn't take it as seriously or think of it as grand and epic as say Tolkien's "LOTR", Williams' "MS&T", Bakker's "Prince of Nothing", and Martin's "ASOIAF". The same goes for R.A. Salvatore's "Drizzt Series" and Feist's "Riftwar", really. Their just good fun. It would rather mess them up if they were made into live action. Animated movies or anime would be a more suitable medium for them. Good assessment, Takoren!

the real question though...is it as good as Heavy Metal ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador
    Okay, so I got the movie, and I got halfway through it last night after my wife went to sleep (she's certainly not going to watch it with me). Thus far, I'm pleasently surprised. Outside of the fact that I have no idea why Dragons and Draconians are CG, I don't have a lot of complaints here. Dragon Lance will never be Lord of the Rings, ever. The books aren't as good, so the movie based on the books certainly never will be. However, the movie is passable, and certainly gets some of the looks and voices just as I would have wanted them, and does a decent job of telling the story, albiet too quickly. Still, this is made for Dragon Lance fans, not people who never heard of it. Thus, the rushed pace is made up for by the fact that we all already know what's going on anyway.

Maybe I like it more than most people would because I love the 80s. I don't really play videogame systems made after 1984, but have a huge collection of stuff from before that that I play constantly. I still watch 80s cartoons frequently, even sugary sweet, barely 80s stuff like Rescue Rangers. Heck, I doubt there's an 80's cartoon theme I don't know. Thus, this movie hit me with nostagia that didn't let up for the entire time I was watching it last night. It was like watching Dungeons and Dragons with my brother on Saturday mornings again.
    That, combined with the fact that it was a Dragonlance movie, something I never thought would actually happen, more than makes up for the problems in my opinion.

By the way, anyone know if the other books are being made into movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Zieborn View Post
    By the way, anyone know if the other books are being made into movies?
    I suppose the future of the next movies depends on the success of this first one, i.e. if they don't sell too many dvds, don't expect any sequels, and vice versa.

I've also seen the movie...and am not impressed, at all. The CGI didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but that asides it's not 80'; and if it is, it definitely isn't the gritty Transformers: The Movie (1986) or The Flight Of The Dragons 80's. To clean, to flat, to juvenile,...

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador
    Quote Originally Posted by thrinidir View Post
    . To clean, to flat, to juvenile,...
    As opposed to the gritty, adult source material? It's Dragon Lance. Sure you're not expecting Sin City?

Quote Originally Posted by Zieborn View Post
    As opposed to the gritty, adult source material? It's Dragon Lance. Sure you're not expecting Sin City?
    ransformers: The Movie (1986) or The Flight Of The Dragons 80's.