Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Matt Browne SFW matt-browne-sfw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_geo View Post
    I know I've mentioned this on other threads, but Fred Saberhagen wrote an awesome short story about this concept called "Birthdays", which is unfortunately not available online from what i can google.
    It'd be great to find out more. Fred Saberhagen isn't listed here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization

Blog Entries
    I: Creating and using an artificial wormhole

Quote Originally Posted by catsrule1 View Post
    Sperm, oocyte (eggs), and embryo freezing is still not perfected. They last for months to years (sperm for perhaps decades). None with the current technology would last long enough for such a long flight, or at least there would be a marked reduction in viability over the years, so it would not be a predictable program. So, for right now, there is no way any of these are feasible, except for a huge, huge biosphere multigenerational ship. I've forgotten the name of the biosphere experiment done about 10-20 years ago, but it was not totally independent in the end. Better to hope for no supernova, self-destruction, or alien invasion, and just wait while we plod through the solar system and advance technology. If we were willing to wait, sending off terrafarming ships to prepare planets for us to colonize in 1000 years might be the best idea. Hoping, of course, that they don't start terrafarming a planet with a technologically superior species already there, and without a sense of humor.

There is a set of books by Shane Dix and Sean Williams, the Orphans of Earth series. In this series the earth sends out colonization ships (just one of the givens, not the actual plot of the story, it is more involved than that) with nanobots which terrafarm planets and construct colonies, and then download human engrams into androids to continue man's legacy there. Interesting read, and interesting ideas, just not technically available yet either.
    I started thinking about this after watching a show about how we would feed a space crew traveling out to mars. It turns out that no matter how you try to preserve food, the molecules themselves start to break down. This would seem to hold true for biologically stored genetic information.

If might be easier to just send the genetic information digitally stored on a more reliable substrate. Then a machine capable of recreating something viable from that info.

Better yet wait until we have really good nano-tech that can build whatever we need wherever we need it. Just digitize full grown trained humans and rebuild them if a decent habitat is found.

Quote Originally Posted by livens View Post
    Better yet wait until we have really good nano-tech that can build whatever we need wherever we need it. Just digitize full grown trained humans and rebuild them if a decent habitat is found.
    You must be thinking of 'Assemblers of Infinity' by Kevin J Anderson and Doug Beason.

At least, in theory you would get clones but I'm not sure you could produce full grown working humans. It might be better to let them grow up as is implied in the story.

Blog Entries

'cryo

_ C: Sleeper ships with hibernating human passengers [using cryopreservation] _

Why 'cryo ? i dont know if that is really .. "advanced enough" !
    if one is using [viz] wormholes [for 'moving' from one part of a universe to another,] 'cryo DOES seem a little el-em-en-tary !! i wonder