Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Brandon Sanderson to finish Wheel of Time

Full story here.

A reasonable choice, I think. Someone who's a proven talent with a good writing style and the time to really sink into the project. Impressive stuff. Congratulations to Brandon!

Cool. Pleased with that.

Brandon on Dragonmount.com in the forum:

Just a quick note to thank you all for your good wishes. I just wanted to let you know that I have now seen the notes, and while I can't say anything specific without breaking my NDA, I will say that the notes are in far better shape than I had expected. Mr. Jordan's staff are very skilled, and they have complied an outline for me that goes scene-by-scene. After reading through it, I'm confident we can produce a book that Mr. Jordan would have been pleased with.

Also, I DO finally know who killed Asmodean, and I promise to include it in the book to finally answer that question for you.

Also, I WILL be more detailed in my descriptions for this book. I may need a fleet of people to help me get the clothing descriptions down, but I'll do it!
    Very interesting. Isn't Brandon a member here? I'm sure he's stopped by a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Very interesting. Isn't Brandon a member here? I'm sure he's stopped by a few times.
    Yeah; he seems pretty level headed and deals with criticism really well. I suspect these qualities will come in handy in the coming months, given the nature of the internet and fandom in general.

Here's an appearance by Brandon:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17795

Of course, a key aspect of all this is that, even if people disagree with the choice, Harriet will be on hand as editor to ensure that things will proceed as close as possible to RJ's vision.

Wow. I really hope it's better than Elantris. But, as said, Harriet will be editiing it, so I think it will still be pretty good. I think that there are other candidates much more qualified, but this is pretty good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Power to the J View Post
    Wow. I really hope it's better than Elantris. But, as said, Harriet will be editiing it, so I think it will still be pretty good. I think that there are other candidates much more qualified, but this is pretty good IMO.
    Feeling a little less pessimistic now, PtotheJ?

Never read this guy, but I know of the Mistborn books. This guy better be good.

Wow, he really is becoming something of an heir apparent at Tor, isn't he? He vis finishing up the Mistborn series, plus I think is contracted for another trilogy (or is it duology?) with Tor.

His Mistborn novels, at least the first two, I found to be very solid. The guy, from all accounts, is a pro and churns out books at a very impressive pace.

That said, there will of course be Jordan fans who won't be happy with this.

Either way, I'm glad for Brandon and think Tor made a good choice on this one.

Alone, I wouldn't be able to do this. I have confidence in my writing, but this story is far bigger than I am--or can hope to be.

Fortunately, I have Harriet and Mr. Jordan's two full-time assistants. Between the four of us--and the notes Mr. Jordan left--I'm thinking we can come up with something that will closely match his vision for the book.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Whoa, this is some pretty sweet news. This was the one series I can really give credit to for making me a fantasy addict, then around the 6th book, I started to loose touch with it due to long gaps between books, and my shoddy memory, finally after a false start on book 7 I decided to wait until the series finished to do a massive re-read. Then that plan seemed to be unattainable with RJ's death. This is really good news to me. It sounds like Jordan's notes were pretty comprehensive, and Sanderson, although I've never read his work, is solid from what I hear around here. Good news for me.

Best of luck to you Mr. Sanderson. You know it better be good!
    I guess the real question now is: Do we need that wheelbarrow Mr. Jordan told us we'd might need for the last book or will a sturdy backpack do?

You're a brave man Brandon, good luck, I look forward to reading it.

What's taters, Precious? Grasshopper's Avatar
    Yes, Brandon....we look forward to it.

Congratulations, Brandon. I liked Elantris and from what I have heard Mistborn is even better so I don't believe that Tor will have cause to regret this decision. The best of luck to all four of you!

Quote Originally Posted by azidhak View Post
    Best of luck to you Mr. Sanderson. You know it better be good!
    I guess the real question now is: Do we need that wheelbarrow Mr. Jordan told us we'd might need for the last book or will a sturdy backpack do?
    I guess that's my question, too. Mr. Jordan, as beautiful a world and story that he created, was just far too concerned with minor details and if he had just skipped over a few of them I believe he could have made A Crown of Swords and The Path of Daggers one book, and the same can be said of Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight.

Like I said, I've never read your work, but do you plan on emulating his style of "describe the room in intimate detail and then everyone in the room and what they're wearing, right down to the pages, before you even begin to tell us what the scene is about?" or do you plan on streamlining some of that stuff?

Exclamation

This is great news. Good luck Brandon! I'm going to have to pursue some of your other stuff.