Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    So far as the length thing goes, Brandon has put up a Memory of Light FAQ on his website which sort of touches on this issue. Quoting from memory:

"It will be one book. Mr. Jordan wanted it that way. I am certain from what I have seen that we will be able to complete the book in a way that it will be published as one volume."

So, that gives us some vague idea: It will be short enough to fit between two covers, which means, I dunno, probably no more than nine hundred pages in hardcover. But even with notes for every scene prepared I'd imagine its hard to come up with an estimate without a manuscript at least partially complete.

That same FAQ is also useful and informative on a number of other topics relating to the project. Obviously, precise details are scarce, but reading it gave me a pretty good idea of how Mr. Sanderson views this project. It also implies that the notes which RJ had compiled detailing the final novel are in fairly good shape.

I'll throw in my congratulations and such now, too: I am incredibly glad that the series I love so much will be finished, and regardless of stylistic differences between the two writers I don't see any indication that Mr. Sanderson will do anything other than a fine job, because he's a fine writer and he obviously cares about the series. Rock on, Brandon!
    ________
    Medical Marijuana Vaporizer
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Gallney View Post
    Good luck Brandon. I got the first 6 WoT books for Christmas and after reading my current material, I'll start. (I've already read bits and pieces)

Brandon, if you ever happen to read this, how many pages do you expect a memory of light to be? Just an estimate.

Sincerely

Fred
    If you go to dragonmount website, I think Jordan estimated it would be around 1500 pages.

1500 pages!! Wow, I had better start my back exercises!

Exclamation Brandon Sanderson impressions of Eye of the World

... check out Brandon Sanderson website for his thoughts about EoTW.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog...E-OF-THE-WORLD

I'm absolutely amazed how open he is on the one side and a bit anxious how his perspective will change my perception of the last book.

But then:

"... Instead I find that...brace yourselves...Nynaeve is my favorite character in this book ...."

Ha! She is one of my favourite characters too.

Another is of course, Moiraine, I'd beg on my knees to kiss her hand!

Now you can sneer and frown at me, I don't care :-P

Quote Originally Posted by argon View Post
    "... Instead I find that...brace yourselves...Nynaeve is my favorite character in this book ...."
    Nuts. When I ordered Mistborn off Brandon's website, I asked him to write in the dedication that he would find a way for Nynaeve to get her braid cut off (the thing is just so annoying). Guess that probably wont go. Oh well, it coulda been funny.

Smile It has began...

Ha, someone has read my post. Go figure!

I don't know about you guys but I've been following Brandon's blog and his thoughts of WoT and am more than ever confident that Brandon was/is the right choice. There were some people suggesting that Harriet should have written the book herself, especially as she had been RJ editor for the books, but wouldn't she be tempted to correct some of the flaws shown especially in female characters? Would you want to read a last book in a series where the protagonist act so much differently in terms of habits and so on? Well, I would not. If the flaws are annoying or not is another matter, I have ever found them refreshing, but me think that it's to late to make any changes. So, yes, he is committed, well organised and he is fan.

And the most important point in favour for Brandon: he has actually started writing it! He mentioned something about that he's completed two chapters. Wow, I mean, take GRRM, he would need, like what, two years for that?!

To be honest, I just want to read the last book and close this chapter of my life. I've just checked the printing date of my copy of The Eye Of The World; it's from 1990. Go figure!
    Last edited by argon; April 11th, 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Power to the J View Post
    Wow. I really hope it's better than Elantris. But, as said, Harriet will be editiing it, so I think it will still be pretty good. I think that there are other candidates much more qualified, but this is pretty good IMO.
    I have to laugh at that, I am pretty sure that when Harriet took over the editing duties, the series went down hill (around book 6 or 7 if i am not mistaken).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You would be as she's been his editor from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    You would be as she's been his editor from the start.
    I stand corrected.

Has there been mention of any timeframe for release?.

Autumn 2009.

With regards to Harriet's relationship with RJ, I could be wrong but I belive that whilst she was his editor from the start, they got married somewhere around that point (1994 or so). That said, I also remember RJ mentioning in his introduction to the WoT RPG that he used to DM for Harriet's son's D&D games much earlier than that, so I may be wrong about that.

Brandon Sanderson seems to write fairly fast as well, and based on what evidence we have he appears to be a deadline keeper, so the projected release date has a fair chance of coming true. Curses! Now I'm excited about it again.
    ________
    BRUIN
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 02:16 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Autumn 2009.

With regards to Harriet's relationship with RJ, I could be wrong but I belive that whilst she was his editor from the start, they got married somewhere around that point (1994 or so). That said, I also remember RJ mentioning in his introduction to the WoT RPG that he used to DM for Harriet's son's D&D games much earlier than that, so I may be wrong about that.
    If you look at the inscription for Eye of the World(1990) its to Harriet. From that anf the fact that they met in the early 80's i'd say they were already married.

To Harriet
    Heart of my heart,
    Light of my live,
    Forever
    Last edited by ChrisW; June 24th, 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Yes, I think that RJ got a little winded in descriptions at times....SO WHAT!!! It's his book/series. It sells. The publisher is happy with his popularity.

Oh well that settles it then. One word IDIOT

If everyone thought like you young grasshopper god help us.

By the way i have read the first book of the Mistborn series and enjoyed it thoroughly. Looking forward to the next one.

12th WOT and Brandon Sanderson

I have not been on here in a very long time, but I wanted to see what others had to say about this. I couldn't find a thread, so I don't know if this is old news or just not being discussed yet. A friend of my mom's was wondering what the status of Wheel of Time was and I didn't know, so I decided to check. I was excited to see that they have announced an author (Brandon Sanderson) and a tentative release date (Fall 2009) for the last book. I didn't think that I had heard of him. The webpage I read said he was selected by Jordan's wife because she like his series the Mistborn. He also wrote a book called Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians, which was I told by other teachers at my school (and fellow fantasy fans) that I had to read. I have bought the book, but not read it yet. I have never heard of his fantasy series. I want to see the WOT finished so I can have some closure, and maybe it will be better with someone else writing. I am curious what people who have read Sanderson's fantasy series think of him finishing WOT. How does his style compare to Jordan's.