Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 574
  1. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,999
    Blog Entries
    4
    Last edited by ChrisW; January 5th, 2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: ChrisW AKA Rob B:)

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Kaysville, UT, USA
    Posts
    90
    I did do a search and didn't find the the thread you directed me to. I only made a new thread when I couldn't find a thread. Apparently something I thought might be interesting is old news to the rest of the world. Like I said I havnen't been on in a long time.

  3. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,999
    Blog Entries
    4
    You guys might wanna transfer this convo to this thread. Rob's asking for a update.
    Last edited by ChrisW; January 6th, 2009 at 03:38 AM.

  4. #49
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,912
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    You guys might wanna transfer this convo to this thread. Rob's asking for a update.
    ChrisW, thanks a bunch! For those folks wondering where some posts have disappeared to, I moved them to the thread Chris mentions.

    Right, back to Sanderson/WOT.

    His style is different, but he may be able to modify his style for each story he tells. Good authors can do that, and based off of what I read from Sanderson (the excellent Mistborn trilogy), he's got some good writing chops. He is a very dependable and diligent writer, which I think is one major reason he was chosen.

    He's been very forthcoming about the process and I think he has a very good idea about the shoes into which he'll be stepping with A Memory of Light.

    So, as a person who enjoyed a lot of the early Wheel of Time novels, I think Sanderson is a pretty good choice.

  5. #50

    Brandon Sanderson and the WOT

    It's common knowledge now that Brandon Sanderson is going to write the last chapter of this saga that captured our hearts despite jumping the shark long ago. Like watching friends to see Ross and Rachel living happily ever after, long after the show stopped being funny, we want to see WOT come to it's ultimate conclusion.

    I've read Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and am less than 100 pages away from finishing the first Mistborn novel. The mother of all controversial subjects is a huge fascination with the author. Religion.

    (Massive spoilers ahead. Don't read if you haven't read anything I just mentioned. This thread is for Sanderson and Jordan readers only)

    Both Elantris and Mistborn have religion at the forefront. Jordan, on the other hand, has a world that just is. There's a Creator and there's a Dark Lord. No on disbelieves in it cause the Dark Lord, at least, makes his presence known. He's the devil actively involved in the world.

    Jordan's world has no temples, no services, nothing. You can argue that there's religion, but it's a religion that no one, throughout the entire world, questions. It's hard to question a religion when Trollocs constantly attack the Borderlands on a regular basis and the Blight keeps growing.

    People have different beliefs, but those are political, not religious. Everyone knows there's a Dark Lord and Creator. Sanderson was probably picked by Jordan's wife because of this, but I wonder how much his style clashes with Jordan's?

    Sanderson has worlds with questioners, Jordan's doesn't cause questioning is just plain stupid given the circumstances.

    Before responding, please try not to make this a flame war thread. Sffworld is above that. Religion is a touchy subject and I know the potential this thread has. As a tip, when posting, don't mention a specific real world religion. Remember, this thread is about Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan's style.

  6. #51
    Peckish hippokrene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Between here and now
    Posts
    1,203
    I read the first WOT novel long ago and nothing by Sanderson. I have to say, if you have spoilers in your post, theyíre incredibly mild.

    No, I donít think Sandersonís Ďstyleí is going to affect the ending. The setting is already established Ė are you worried heíll make everything that came before a lie? Heís working from Jordanís plot. I donít think the nations of the world are going to suddenly decide they donít know if the Dark One is real or not.

  7. #52
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,660
    I don't think it's a problem. I actually found it interesting that WoT essentially presents a philosophical Buddhist view of the universe, which accepts certain forces are at work (more through proof than faith though, as you say) without the need to worship any being as a god. There is mention of 'praying' throughout the books, however, which I take to mean that people hope to invoke the Light on their endeavours, but it seems most people take the view of Rand and LTT (in KoD, I believe), that their world is one of many made by the Creator and if it withers away on the vine, whilst it would be sad there would be myriad worls left beyond it.

    In the universe itself, I gather this philosophy developed from the high-technology and philosophy-based Age of Legends, probably solidified by the terror of the Breaking of the World and the continuance of the Aes Sedai preventing from any heretical belief systems from arising in the Westlands.

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevant View Post
    Like watching friends to see Ross and Rachel living happily ever after, long after the show stopped being funny, we want to see WOT come to it's ultimate conclusion.
    Only because this thread was started by Irrelevant, I have to say.
    Rachel was a idiot for staying with Ross and not going to Paris.

  9. #54
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,912
    Little Admin note...I merged all three of the Sanderson/WOT threads together since they were really similar, and as the book gets closer to publication we'll have more discussion about it. Best to keep it consolidated for now.

  10. #55
    yeah I noticed I got a little notice about it merging together. Glad they merge things together instead of saying use the search function.

    Anyway. after giving a day to thing about it, there really is a sense of religions in WoT novels. The Whitecloaks always seemed like a cross between the KKK and the Spanish Inquisition. In a way, there is religion in WoT. There are beliefs about what is good and evil, but they all link back to the Creator and Dark One. WoT is a world where the truth is known, but not understood. Sanderson writes about worlds that have definite religious boundaries.

    In Elantris, it's three religions with one being really fanatical and violent, due to one man given control over the whole thing, and another which is basically the reverse of the Book of Revalations.

    Instead of the chosen one defeating evil and bringing 1000 years of peace, we have 1000 years of oppression to be defeated by someone who is clearly an allegory to Jesus.

    I'm eagerly awaiting the last book of WoT. Sanderson, in my opinion, is a better writer, but his style is so different than Jordan. What will it the conclusion be like with someone else?

  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by yonkge View Post
    Only because this thread was started by Irrelevant, I have to say.
    Rachel was a idiot for staying with Ross and not going to Paris.
    Did you think for one moment it wouldn't happen?

  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevant View Post
    Did you think for one moment it wouldn't happen?
    It happened, but did anyone really think Jen and Brad would end up staying together? I mean Jen was too stuck up to---oh wait we were talking about something else weren't we?

  13. #58
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,660
    According to Sanderson, Harriet will make an announcement about publication plans for AMoL in April, perhaps at JordanCon.

    I strongly suspect the announcement will be formal confirmation of the split of the book, and the plan to publish Volume I in November, but we'll see.

  14. #59
    Nobody in Particular kcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    According to Sanderson, Harriet will make an announcement about publication plans for AMoL in April, perhaps at JordanCon.

    I strongly suspect the announcement will be formal confirmation of the split of the book, and the plan to publish Volume I in November, but we'll see.
    I agree. It'll be interesting to see if she gives a timeline for Volume 2. Sanderson indicated March, 2010 as possibility once before, but from what he has indicated about his progress so far, I think that is too soon.

  15. #60
    Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The island of Arylyn
    Posts
    1,485
    If they are going to split the book into 2 volumes, would there be a reason that they couldn't just go ahead and publish both volumes simultaneously? I was unlucky enough to start reading WoT in 1989, and at this point, I'd be willing to pony up the extra $30 just to find out how the thing ends.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •