Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I've got no investment in Wheel of Time at this point, but I don't like anything that keeps Sanderson from working on something of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    If they are going to split the book into 2 volumes, would there be a reason that they couldn't just go ahead and publish both volumes simultaneously? I was unlucky enough to start reading WoT in 1989, and at this point, I'd be willing to pony up the extra $30 just to find out how the thing ends.
    Yes. He hasn't written it yet

The total AMoL is supposed to be c. 650-700,000 words, with Volume I being about 400,000 and Volume II being the remaining 250-300,000. He's 'only' written the first 400,000 so far and is editing and revising it now. In order to get it out in November, it would need to be submitted to Tor in April-May (they could probably rush-release it sooner, but my understanding is that Tor and Harriet are handling the MS more carefully for this one in accordance with Jordan's wishes and his insistence on KoD getting the full treatment as well).

Meanwhile, he'll presumably resume work on the rest of the book in April/May and will finish the whole thing in the autumn. If it gets submitted than, Volume II will come out in the first half of 2010.

Given we've been waiting for the last book by itself for four years and for the end of the series for twenty, an extra 6-7 months is hardly going to be the end of the world.

Tom Doherty is also attending JordanCon, which makes some kind of formal announcement being made there all the more likely.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Thanks, Wert. I'd just assumed that Sanderson would plow through and finish aMoL in its entirety, have the whole thing proofed and edited, then have it published in two volumes.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I remember when this was just announced. Has Sanderson written 400,000 words already? Cool. I am slowly starting to get excited about this.

Wouldn't it be funny if all of a sudden the women had individual personalities in A Memory of Light? Actually that's probably what will happen.

Sorry that you don't feel Jordan did that, Irrelevent. I thought he did. For me, the women characters had very different personalities.

Yes, one crossed her arms under her breasts when she was frustrated, the other tugged on her braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevant View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny if all of a sudden the women had individual personalities in A Memory of Light? Actually that's probably what will happen.
    The women do have individual personalities. Unfortunately, in the case of Nynaeve and Egwene, it took a half-dozen books or so for them to emerge.

The only female character I have an enormous problem with is Elayne (I'm even neutral towards Faile). She doesn't seem to have changed at all during the series and never really addressed the charge against her that she left Andor in the lurch so she could busy herself with Aes Sedai affairs. I actually found the other nobles' position against her, that she shouldn't be queen because she cannot be trusted to put the affairs of her country before all others, totally understandable and Elayne totally failed to win that argument. She became queen due to force of arms and her ability to channel. She has otherwise proven herself wholly unsuitable for the role.

I'm wondering if this was deliberate on Jordan's part or not.

According to an email sent out to some bloggers, Tor are expecting to publish A Memory of Light (presumably Part I) on either 2 or 3 November 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    According to an email sent out to some bloggers, Tor are expecting to publish A Memory of Light (presumably Part I) on either 2 or 3 November 2009.
    I'm signed up for Tor's newsletter and they provided a link to grab a countdown Widget for the release of A Memory of Light. With real date in hand, I can get serious about re-reading this series.
    Last edited by Rob B; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:25 AM.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    I still haven't read the last two books. I bought them and have them safely sitting on my shelf (sans covers since I HATE those Darrell Sweet monstrosities and decided a few years ago to throw out all covers that he painted) waiting to be read when volume 2 of aMoL comes out.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    I still haven't read the last two books. I bought them and have them safely sitting on my shelf (sans covers since I HATE those Darrell Sweet monstrosities and decided a few years ago to throw out all covers that he painted) waiting to be read when volume 2 of aMoL comes out.
    Well, get ready for one of the worst books you've ever read in your life (Crossroads of Twilight, book 10). The next one is much better, though. I would recommend getting book 10 out of the way sooner than later, because it will probably annoy you so much that you won't even feel like continuing!

Analyze That
    Or if you really think you won't like it, then you can read the Wikipedia summary and move on. Personally, I didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, nothing much happenned, but to me, that can be all right in some books with a really good writer.

Nothing much happenning in Jordan to me is far better than nothing much happenning in Bakker or nothing much happening in Abercrombie. Don't ask me why, I'm really not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
    Nothing much happenning in Jordan to me is far better than nothing much happenning in Bakker or nothing much happening in Abercrombie. Don't ask me why, I'm really not sure.
    You're probably just so used to it.