Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lol, I haven't vanished, I've been reading the very helpful replies, just haven't had much to post. I've been collecting all the suggestions into my next "to buy" list, so thank you everyone for the posts. And acton bell was right on with the Exiles of Colsec book I was looking for. I saw the book cover and that's the exact book I remember, so very good job being able to arrive at that conclusion from my description. Now to set aside the time to read all these books

Smile

Yesterday I picked up Allan Steele's Coyote (based on the post from Sibella) and I must say its a great planet exploration book. Its very much a page turner and I enjoyed immensely. I highly recommend it. Note, I havn't read any books for some time now--too busy with work--however this book got me back into reading. Can't wait to read the other two books in the series. Thanks Sibella!

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    How about Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons? I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of these.

Also, not exactly planet exploration, but with the same sense of not knowing what strange thing is around the corner, the exploration of the virtual worlds in Tad Williams' Otherland series:
    City of Golden Shadow
    River of Blue Fire
    Mountain of Black Glass
    Sea of Silver Light

I know this thread is ancient, but it contains a good deal of recs that are relevant to my question. Unfortunately, it's just names with little detail, and more often than not, the books are too obscure for me to find a decent summary or blurb for more info.

I'm interested in planet exploration books. Either colonization and dealing with the problems that come up with any new planet, or Robinson Crusoe style of crashing.

I've recently read Jeffery Carver's "The Chaos Chronicles" and it has a lot of planet exploration with strange and interesting creatures.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragondawn, mentioned earlier in this thread, is also good, although it contained a bit too much arguing between the colonists for my tastes.

I'd be grateful for any planet exploration books, the stranger the planet, the better.

Dune is another.

Quote Originally Posted by shashekar View Post
    Dune is another.
    I'm willing to bet that almost all SF fans over the age of 20 have read at least one of the dune books

They're good, but after the first two books or so, it turns political and philosophical and less "planet exploration"

I don't know how important scientific realism is to you but off the top of my head I can't think of anything more realistic than the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy

psik

A friend recced that to me a while ago, but I wasn't able to get into it. Stopped reading after a bit of the first book.

Realism isn't an issue. That's why I prefer older SF. They let their imaginations roam more than most modern sf.

Well Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" certainly should be mentioned here. Just pick a winner. Ray Bradbury is the master.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ekdahl View Post
    Well Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" certainly should be mentioned here. Just pick a winner. Ray Bradbury is the master.
    That one does look interesting And I love short-story collections, all interconnected to a certain degree. Plus, I can still get my hands on it, even if it's a week away. Far too many goods books are impossible to find.

If you don't mind young adult reading then 'Tunnel in the Sky' by Robert Heinlien fits your criteria. Lots of almost grown kids end up stranded on a planet during a 'survival' test. Completely out of contact with Earth they are forced to organize, explore and begin developing a community just in case there is never any contact again.

Anne McCaffery has a series of three books, the 'Freedom Trilogy' if I remember correctly. The people here are intentionally stranded as part of a war (consider it a prison colony). They have to do the usual things, survive, organize and in this case plot ways to either escape or cause grief to the enemy.

Thanks for the recs.

Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    Anne McCaffery has a series of three books, the 'Freedom Trilogy' if I remember correctly. The people here are intentionally stranded as part of a war (consider it a prison colony). They have to do the usual things, survive, organize and in this case plot ways to either escape or cause grief to the enemy.
    It's a quadrilogy now (Freedom's Landing, Freedom's Challenge, Freedom's Choice and Freedom's Ransom), although admittedly the exploration is mainly done by the third book.

Perhaps Stephen Lawhead's Empyrion Saga? I found them to be fascinating exploration books. I believe their titles are The Search for Fierra and Siege of the Dome. I remember them being excellent, though its probably been five years since I read them.