Smile What are the 3 words'meaning?

Happy New Year!
    I am reading "The drawing of the dark",there are some words i donnot understand:
    1.a bundschuh leftover from the Peasants' War will knife the Lutheran,
    2.And if I hang around here those three Gritti lads will be challenging me to a real combat in the official champ clos, and I'm too old for that kind of thing.
    3.As he clumped past the San Zaccaria convent he heard muted giggles and whispering from a recessed doorway. Some pretty nun, he imagined, entertaining one of the young moneghini that are always loitering around the grounds.

What are"bundschuh""champ clos"and"moneghini"'smeaning?Could any friends tell me?Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by littlelion33; December 23rd, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: d

"champ clos" is french for closed field. Sounds like a formal term for a duel to me.

According to Wikipedia "Bundschuh" is German for "tied shoe". It also says that during Germany's Peasant War in the 15th century there was a series of localized rebellions called the "Bundschuh movement" because they displayed such a shoe on their flag. These bundschuh leftover your book is talking about is probably leftover rebels.

As for "moneghini" I have absolutely no ideas.

Edit: "moneghini" is apparently a familly name. Look like some of these guys are hanging out at that coven.
    Last edited by Bluestar; December 23rd, 2007 at 12:44 PM.

I just read through the start of the book to put your terms in context - sounds like Bluestar is right about champ clos being a duelling ground.

Bundschuh definitely refers to a leftover rebellious peasant (those naughty peasants).

As for moneghini: It could be a family name as Bluestar mentioned, but I'm thinking it's more likely a localised slang for a young man out on the town, or in this case, out at the nunnery checking out the local talent. I think that if it were a family name, Powers would have capitalised it.
    Last edited by Severn; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Thank you two friends!I learnd more from you.

You're most welcome, Littlelion.