Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks, JohnH. If McKillip's novel, (and hopefully it is indeed a novel), isn't coming out until November I could see information being scarce. I shall have to try something else of her's before then, to see if I'm likely to enjoy The Knight Errant. I haven't started reading Butcher's Codex Alera yet, (I've only recently discovered Dresden and it hasn't started to fizzle out for me yet), but I'm sure that I will do so at some point. Just based on past evidence, he may well deliver the fifth book in 08, though he doesn't quite seem to be able to manage to turn a Codex book around in twelve months the way he does with Dresden so I'd say early 09 is more likely. Either way the man is a writing machine.

I'm currently reading Jeff Somers's cyberpunk novel The Electric Church and liking it reasonably well, so I'm interested to see that the sequel, entitled The Digital Plague, is coming out quite soon, in May this year.

Also, for Charles Stross fans, this is from his blog:

Some time in August-October, Ace will be publishing my new SF novel, "Saturn's Children", in hardcover.

There won't be a new Merchant Princes novel in 2008 -- I'm behind schedule -- but I'm currently working on "The Revolution Business" and "The Trade of Queens", and hopefully one or both of them will be published in 2009.

On a whim, I searched the name of the popular children's and ya author Diana Wynne Jones on amazon and was surprised and pleased to see that she has a new book coming out in her Castle series. The only book by her that I have read is Howl's Moving Castle, which I read and thoroughly enjoyed earlier this year, so this made me very happy. The author's (sort of) official website hints that Wizard Howl might, in fact, be in this new novel, which is entitled House of Many Ways, and is expected in June. I'm surprised by how much I'm suddenly anticipating this.

FuzzBunneh: Yeah; I'm definitely intrigued by The Red Wolf Conspiracy, [through Werthead's review], as well. I'm not counting the days or anything, but I'm certainly ready to be impressed.
    ________
    Ipad guides
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 01:57 AM.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir View Post
    Thanks, JohnH. If McKillip's novel, (and hopefully it is indeed a novel), isn't coming out until November I could see information being scarce. I shall have to try something else of her's before then, to see if I'm likely to enjoy The Knight Errant. I haven't started reading Butcher's Codex Alera yet, (I've only recently discovered Dresden and it hasn't started to fizzle out for me yet), but I'm sure that I will do so at some point. Just based on past evidence, he may well deliver the fifth book in 08, though he doesn't quite seem to be able to manage to turn a Codex book around in twelve months the way he does with Dresden so I'd say early 09 is more likely. Either way the man is a writing machine.

Actually I think past evidence strongly suggests he definitely could bring out the next Codex Alera even if he actually doesn't.

Furies of Calderon (Alera #1) -- released October 2004
    Dead Beat (Dresden #7) -- released May 2005
    Academ's Fury (Alera #2) -- released July 2005
    Proven Guilty (Dresden #8) -- released May 2006
    Cursor's Fury (Alera #3) -- released Dec 2006
    White Knight (Dresden #9) -- released April 2007
    Captain's Fury (Alera #4) -- released Dec 2007
    *Small Favor (Dresden # 10) -- to be released April 2008

Once he started both series, he has obviously been able to produce one each in the calendar year since 05. So I think his history is pretty clear on that. What his future is, well, that is another thing entirely.

And thanks for the Stross info as well. I'm not sure why he considers himself behind looking at his release list for 07 and 08. And I can wait if it means he tightens the story up a little for The Trade of Queens. He delved way too deep into the scientific mumbo jumbo halfway through and made the fun fast paced adventure a science lecture.

I was excited to see that Carlos Ruiz Zafon had a 2008 release until I realized it was a deluxe edition at a hefty price. Deluxe editions are fine if they come out about the same time as the regular. But buying the deluxe after having the book seems a bit decadent as long as there are plenty to buy that otherwise would remain unread.

David B. Coe turned in The Horseman's Gambit so it would look that his second book in the new series would make late 2008. Jennifer Stevenson is apparently going to get the three-all-at-once with her trilogy that starts with The Brass Bed as Del Rey sometimes likes to do. Felix Gilman's followup to Thunderer also has been turned in so that could make this year as well. And though it is science fiction, it had a sort of fantasy feel to it, David Weber's by Schism Divided is also set to come out. And Michelle West's first in the prequel series to her Sun Sword series will be out this early spring. Philip Pullman has an associational work (Like Lyra's Oxford) due out this year as well so that makes me hope that The Book of Dust could make a showing next year. And Juliet McKenna has said her Straws in the Wind should be out this summer. And Juliet Marillier's next book is supposed to be out this year but that might only be in Australia and the UK. And Jane Lindskold starts a new series this fall with The Thirteen Orphans.
    Last edited by JohnH; January 4th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

I'm fairly new to fantasy so i have a lot of catching up to do, but here are some books i want to read in 2008.

The Prince Of Nothing Trilogy by Scott R. Bakker
    Assassin's Trilogy by Robin Hobb
    Magician Books by Raymond E. Fiest
    The Malazan Book Of The Fallen Saga by Steven Eriksson
    The Wheel Of Time Cycle by Robert Jordan
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susana Clarke
    A Song of Ice and Fire Saga by George R.R. Martin
    The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

there are probably others but i can't think of any right now.

All interesting books, Michael, but we are discussing books publishing in 2008, I've clarified the title.

Oh, sorry i didn't see that

I'm a cheapie who usually buys mass market, so my list of to-reads will not include many 2008. But, I think I'm going to have to make an exception for the J.V Jones, after waiting so long, which has just arrived in our stores (as far as I'm concerned that's a 2008 release ), and Ruckley's Bloodheir.

"George RR Martin: A Dance with Dragons (Mid-2008)
    The much-delayed ADWD looks like it should appear in 2008,"

Don't get peoples' hopes up! I'd put it on the 2008-2010 just to be on the safe side.

Palace of Impossible Dreams - Jennifer Fallon - 1st March
    The Chaos Crystal - Jennifer Fallon - October
    Tangled Webs - Anne Bishop - 4th March
    Shadows Return - Lynn Flewelling - 24th June
    and more which I can' remember off the top of my head.

On my wishlist 08 so far:

Breath and Bone Carol Berg
    Shadows Return Lynn Flewelling
    Wildfire Sarah Micklem
    The Born Queen J. Gregory Keyes
    In a Time of Treason David Keck
    The Hidden City: The House Wars: Book One Michelle West
    Iron Angel (Deepgate Codex) Alan Campbell
    The Grave Thief: Book Three of the Twilight Reign Tom Lloyd
    Last Argument of Kings: Book Three of the First Law Joe Abercrombie
    A Dance with Dragons George R.R. Martin

I come bearing what might, maybe, be news:

1: For those who care, Christopher Paolini's third Inheritance novel, [which was originally supposed to be the last, but is now the third of four because the author spent too much time going in circles in the truly terrible second book], has been given a title and a date:

Brisingr
    September 20, 2008

I invested time in Eragon, [which I thought was a fun coming of age tale], and Eldest, [of which I will not speak more], so if this had been the last one I might have resolved to muster myself to get it out of the library. Ah, well. Figured it was worth mentioning, just in the interest of giving equal time.

2: This is far more dubious, but according to Amazon our favourite confidence man will indeed be making a showing this year, in defiance of all probability, [as is his way]. Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves is listed for October 28th, 2008.

I wouldn't give this the time of day, except that I checked Amazon's Canadian, American, and British sites: amazon.co.uk still has a listing for the book that marks it as Book Three of the GBS, which is still marked for June, but another listing without the series tag attached marks the book for August 26 in the UK. However, both the Canadian and American sites agree on the October 28th release date for this side of the big pond. All three sites also agree on the page count, [which they claim is a wopping 800, by the way].

Unfortunately, Scott Lynch does not appear to have updated his LJ or his website's book page with information on The Republic of Thieves, and if the book was done for really reals you'd think that The Lynch would speak out on the subject. Still, if Amazon is wrong, [and it would not be the first time], then at least all three versions thereof will be wrong together, which is kind of nice.

Curses. I just stumbled across the Amazon entry for ADWD, and its been given a release date of Sept 30. Since we know this to be rubbish, perhaps the Lynch info is just a case of Spectra, [or Amazon], making up dates for all their books and slapping them on the interwebs. Bah.
    ________
    BBW ASS
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Wait, you mean there was any doubt of a 2008 release for RoT?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Curses. I just stumbled across the Amazon entry for ADWD, and its been given a release date of Sept 30. Since we know this to be rubbish, perhaps the Lynch info is just a case of Spectra, [or Amazon], making up dates for all their books and slapping them on the interwebs. Bah.
    The first Lynch release date came up on Amazon two weeks ago, it was Septmber 26. They pushed it two months back which might mean November is the correct date. It does look like Republic will come out in the Fall. Check out the publisher's site, randomhouse.com, to confirm the release date of the Martin and Lynch book.

For what it's worth, they do expect both books to be released in the Fall and this is in line with what Martin and Lynch have said themselves. Check Martin's website where he has done a recent update on ADWD.

Oh, I certainly read Martin's update on Dance; I know that he hopes to get ADWD done in time for a fall release. What I was getting at was that amazon has listed a specific month and day, and we know that such a date does not exist.

Later: Actually, I checked Randomhouse's site as Mith suggested, and, to be fair, they are listing the same bogus date as amazon. I call the date "bogus" because no matter how hopeful they are they simply cannot know. Also, since they're listing September 30, if Martin was to finish in, say, May or June, even with the quick turn around they give his books they would have to go go greased lightning to actually be sending the thing to shelves in September. (They also have a page count. Not only is it laughable considering that no one on the face of the earth has actually seen a manuscript copy of Dance yet, because it doesn't exist, but I'm not sure its possible to bind a book that big.)

I looked up The Republic of Thieves via the same method, and was slightly heartened to see that Randomhouse agrees with the amazon sites on both the 800 page count and the October 28 date. Perhaps there is something in this, though I'm not sure I'm ready for all-out optimism yet. Massive books by both Martin and Lynch within months of each other seems to good to be true.

Fuzz: Way I understand it Lynch has made some statements that he hopes to get the book lined up for a release in the fall, but I don't think its ever been an absolutely guaranteed thing the way Red Seas Under Red Skies was. Just personally, I doubt we'll be seeing a Lynch book every year, which is fine. Its good news that Republic will probably make it inside 08, though; I have been curious to meet a character and an organization which it has been hinted will be introduced therein.

And I found another shiny-looking book: something from one of our newer rising stars.

As if Elizabeth Bear didn't have enough series ongoing right now, she is starting another one. The series has a wicked cool title: The Edda of Burdens. From Bear's website, under the "Edda of Burdens" section:

"In the beginning was the end of the world.

The children of the Light and the fallen Tarnished met at the edge of the great ice, and there they warred and died. Brother fought brother; lover slew lover. And when it was done, and the snow drifted over the blood, three were left: the one who fled, the one who stood, and the one who walked away.

Muire is a waelcyrge, an immortal maiden of the shield, sworn to defend the Light and to hold a place in the world for the return of the All-Father. But the All-father never came. And Muire was not like her sisters -- she was a historian and a poet, a sculptor and a thinker, littlest and least of her kind. A sparrow among falcons. From afar and quietly, she loved the greatest and brightest of the einherjar, the chosen warriors: Strifbjorn. But her courage failed her, and on the last day she fled the armies of the Tarnished, and did not die with her love.

Kasimir is a valraven, war-steed of the choosers of the slain. Two-headed, great-hearted, winged and horned for battle. On the last day, his rider was killed, and he wounded unto death. But that great heart remains indomitable in defeat as it was in victory, even as it pumps his life-blood into the snow.

And Mingan--

Mingan is the Grey Wolf, last child of a dead god, grandson of giants. Mingan is old, older than the fallen children, older than the young and dying world. This is not his first apocolypse.

He would prefer it to be his last.

The Edda of Burdens is the story of these three, and of dead Strifbjorn, and how the end of the world transformed them and everything they touched...."

Sounds like quite a party. (I'll admit to some bias, as anything that sounds like it might be quality work to do with Norse myth instantly turns me into a gibbering fool.)

Tor will publish Book 1 of the series, All the Windwracked Stars, (which is also a wicked title), in hardcover in October as Bear's solo hardcover debut.

And then there's Melinda Snodgrass's very interesting-looking urban-fantasy-weird-supernatural-thing, The Edge of Reason, to which GRRM gives the nod; (hardcover, Tor, May.) Ah, yes, a good year.
    ________
    Rhode Island Dispensaries
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Butcher's next Codex Alera book is up on Amazon for a Dec 2nd release entitled Princeps' Fury.

Also listed:

Juliet Marillier's Heir to Sevenwaters

Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn -- there was mention of a true standalone book in the Twelve Houses world but not sure if this is it or not.

Half a Crown by Jo Walton. Presumably the followup in her altenate world and one of the more anticipated books of the year for me considering how Ha'penny ended.

The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia A. McKillip. not sure if this is the same as the above mentioned book and just re-titled or if she has two books coming out. The Knight Errant book might be another collection like Harrowing the Dragon; especially considering the title. Just have to wait. Locus' March issue might clear things up.

The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia A. McKillip. not sure if this is the same as the above mentioned book and just re-titled or if she has two books coming out. The Knight Errant book might be another collection like Harrowing the Dragon; especially considering the title. Just have to wait. Locus' March issue might clear things up.
    Mmm, a new novel and a new collection would be pretty great...