Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Another Newbie!

Hi to all! Just registered about 5 min's ago. Only just recently been broadbanded (at home anyway - will probably be able to get some genuine stuff done at work now!). My quiet time whilst family is out so thought i would see who was out there on my wavelength. Currently working my way through King's Dark Tower and prior to that the books of Alastair Reynolds and Richard Morgan (must have been in a hard SF phase). Also a fan of Adam Roberts - good high concept stuff cleverley written and, boy, does he seem to churn them out. All time favourite: Dune (don't know wether you guys think that's too predictable, but it just blew me away when i was in my teens and i find i have to keep returning to it). Looking forward to: the completion of Donaldson's Covenant saga - again, something i've read through two or three times. Also read quite a bit of historical fiction, military fiction and a few classics, so i like to think i'm quite varied (you may not agree). Anyway, enough babble or waffle or whatever you call it where you are. I'd be glad to converse (couldn't think of a cooler word there). No Dark Tower ending spoilers please - i'm almost there!!

Hi, i found this site and i love it.I've always been a fan of fantasy, mostly vamps, weres and things like that, and i just love books in general.I've read some sci-fi but not a lot.Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi iamliz!

So there is some life in this thread afterall. I was beginning to think I'd introduced myself in the wrong place!
    Here are some of my recommendations, none of which are particularly hard SF, and what i would consider decent cross-over novels from Fantasy:

On by Adam Roberts - good story with a good concept wherein the effects of gravity have been seriously disturbed and the backwards remnants of the human race cling precariously to ledges, fearful of a slip or a trip that could result in a neverending fall off the face of the world. Enjoyable and easy to get into.

Dune by Frank Herbert - massive book and a SF classic but it really is a fantasy epic st against a SF backdrop. One of those stories that gathers you up and sweeps you along, but it is intentionally complex with many different factions vying for wealth and power. Political intrigue, religion, war, romance and betrayal, it's all here. By the way, don't be put off by TV or movie adaptations you may have seen - neither of these formats is big enough to portray this novel succesfully.

A Matter for Men by David Gerrold - the Earth invaded by an alien ecosystem - this is War of the Worlds with attitude. It's told from a single point of view and is good fun as well as being a gripping book. Several sequels follow.

Involution Ocean by Bruce Stirling - remeniscent of Moby Dick this is a whaling adventure on a sea of dust at the bottom of a seventy mile deep crater on the alien world of Nullaqua. It's a short and charming book which you can fly through in a handful of days (or a single day without distractions).

Hope the above is of interest. ND

Patrick Wedgeworth

Hello everyone! I am Patrick, a new author on this site. I am a bioengineering student and an aspiring writer and I am currently working on a Sci-fi Fantasy epic called Rise of the Guilds (prologue was just posted on this site. Any feedback would be appreciated!). A few of my hobbies aside from writing are studying physics and philosophy, running and practicing mixed martial arts. I look forward to learning from everybody

Thanks, ND!

They all sound great.i love sci-fi movies but whenever i've tried to read one, their usually extremly long(not that i'm scared of long books)and while they're really good in some places, are really slow in others.

thanks again, liz

Hello to all of you, and welcome to sffworld.

Kamakhya, it's neat to see you here again...your funky geometrical avatar brings back memories of the "good old days" of sffworld.

Hello SFFWorld forumites!

My name is Richard H. Fay. I am a speculative poet, writer, and artist. Which basically means I do it all - fantasy, science fiction, horror, and even some stuff that's a mixture of the three. I've had quite a few poems published in various on-line and print publications such as The Fifth Di..., Champagne Shivers, Aoife's Kiss, Hungur, Tales from the Moonlit Path, Niteblade, Scifaikuest, Sorcerous Signals, etc., etc., etc. I've also had artwork published in some of the above, as well as publications like The Willows and Flashing Swords. I've even been known to write an articel or two - my article "The Darker Side of Fairy Lore" appeared in the "Killer Holiday Issue" of the magazine Doorways.

When I'm not writing or drawing I am home-schooling my teenage daughter. I've been a home-educator for almost a decade now. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel - my daughter starts college this Fall. Yeah!

Let's see, what else might you want to know about me? I'm a medieval history and arms and armour buff. I'm also a huge Doctor Who fan. I'm also a huge fan of Tolkien's works - I feel that Tolkien's writings have had a great influence on my life. I'm also fascinated by myths, legends, and folklore - especially traditional fairy folklore. It's a subject that I utilize frequently in my own works.

In case you were wondering, I just happened to stumble across your site after seeing David Lee Summers' blog here. It's amazing what you can find when you follow links.

Well, I thinks that's enough about me for the moment.

Cheers!

Hello everyone,

I'm Fred. Obviously I'm interested in the the genres science fiction and fantasy. To be more exact or just dramatic, my entire being seems to be intwined with all genres that have fantastic, futuristic or supernatural elements in them... horror, medieval romance, mythology and fairy tales, and so on.

I obtained not too long ago my MA in English Literature and I devoted my thesis to the fantastic, the uncanny, and the supposedly mad women in the novels The Turn of the Screw, Lady Audley's Secret, and Rosemary's Baby. This probably is my only real achievement in life so far so therefore I felt the need to mention it. English is, as you may notice, not my native tongue.

As for the two genres first mentioned. For some reason or another, although I thoroughly enjoy watching sci-fi tv-series and films... I cannot read SF novels. I'm not sure whether this is due to lack of imagination or that sci-fi written out just seems boring to me. Ah well, no one is perfect.

Now that I have introduced myself in proper vague terms, the time has come view a few threads. Perhaps I'll see you there.

dont be a dont be, be a do be

hi all

im not really new to here, as i joined years ago and iv obviously forgotten my password as i havent visited here in a long long time.

so im just saying hi again

My names mick, but people call me worse, and i enjoy reading david gemmell, robert jordan, raymond e feist, r a salvatore and.... thats it i think. I find it hard getting into new authors you see.

but anyway, thanks for the welcome and speak to ya soon

The bird of Hermes FremenWarrior's Avatar

Cool

Hi not been joined for long,

found this website and really like it . gr8 place to discuss sci-fi and fantasy. FremenWarrior/FistOfTheDamned/Firefly101 (my internet Aliases) says hi to everyone

sephiroth is cool

Curious Wanderer
    Hi All!

I am a big sci-fi fan and also horror to some extent. I say to some extent because 90 percent of my reading is about vampires but I like stuff like the Anita Blake series or Anne Rice and I really don't find them horrifying. I also like fantasy ( I just spent Saturday watching the LOTR trilogy), action/sci-fi movies,video games and comic books.

My other interests include anime, traveling ( I lived in Japan for 2 years), new age and role playing games. Right now of course I'm playing Vampire the Masquerade: The Victorian Era (I identify with the Toreador clan so much it should be a crime!) and Star Wars (the D6 version).

As for my day job, I am a proofreader expanding into science fiction and horror novels. So I'm here hoping to network with people who need their stories/novels proofread so I can build up some experience on my resume.

Feel free to contact me about anything! Especially if it's about vampires

Hello, my name is Hartman Keeley and I have been searching for an active and particularly large writing forum for some time. I obviously have a passion for writing that is equal with my great passion for the cosmos (although I haven't given Science Fiction stories a go as of yet).

I am currently working on a novel entitled, "Stealing America". I am trying to finish the third chapter but have not worked on it in sometime, as I have been busy revamping the first two chapters. Some readers have said they're fine [Chapters 1-2] but honestly I find them revolting. They will need much more work.

Anyway, I am sixteen years old and a sophomore at my high school. I can see that I will enjoy myself and the company of other fellow writers here at the Writer's Forum. Thank you for your time.

-Hartman Keeley

new guy here too.... joined after seeing the link on James Barclay's website... not sure how much I will come in here but hey - it will be a good place for me to look for inspiration on what to read next - and maybe risk posting a story if I ever get down to taking it out of my brain.....

Well hello

Hi

I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd join up as I have been an avid SFF reader since childhood, thought mostly F I must admit

My fave authors include, Hobb, Martin, Feist, Kerr, Donaldson, Jones to name a few and I'm currently working my way through Erikson, Bakker, Lynch and Abercrombie.

I look forwarad to seeing what everyone else is into, just don;t reccommend anything to me till I reduce my To Be Read pile somewhat

Post Errrmm, Ummm...Knock - Knock...Can I come in?

Well, here I am - I've been a SciFi fan almost since I learned to read and I only just found this place by accident! Never occurred to me to look for others like me....guess I must be getting old huh?

Anyroadup, as I'm currently on a Life Quest travelling thru Europe in my HealMobile I dunno how often I'll be able to log in, so I should say a Very Warm Hello to y'all now.

Perhaps later I'll discuss some of my likes and dislikes, but for now I've just posted a couple of poems to kick-start my contributions to this excellent site. If anyone ever reads 'em p'raps I'll get some feedback (which would be nice)

I look forward to meeting some of you in the discussion forums.

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is the same for us all."